Keith Olbermann Leaving MSNBC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Full of Win, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Interesting.

And do you have anything of substance to contribute to the thread? Such as the fact that MSNBC at least has standards like this policy, whereas other networks can't seem to keep one from the other, e.g., "broadcasters" contributing to various political candidates' campaigns, let alone their parties?

At least we're talking morals, character, and integrity here.. although some news networks are absolutely fine with such conflicts of interest.

Or do you think that this actually could be contended, thanks to Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission? Or is this another post and run thread?

BL.

3. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Substance. I tried with the CNN link. Granted, weak substance, but hey, its no Fox News. Will update with more substance via Fox News when it breaks there.

We don't know why he is leaving. I think its due to him being a stinker in the ratings. They have 1/3 of the FoxNews viewership. Perhaps Comcast (NBC's new owners) had enough of his crazy rants and few ad dollars to show for it.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That type of entertainment has never been as popular with liberals as it is with conservatives. Right wing blowhards will always have more of a following.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

His style never rang well with liberals. Too similar to right wing shock jocks and tv personalities.

I'm not sure this type of approach resonates with the left as much as with the right. Too confrontational, one sided and sensationalist. It's pap

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

This and Manny and Damon joining the Rays. All in a Friday night.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you. I almost reported your original post because it clearly skated the guidelines for here, but gave you a chance to add something.

Actually, I take that back. the answer was in the article you linked. did you even read what you posted?? That is what I meant by your post lacking substance. At least be prepared to talk about what you're saying. "ha ha" doesn't cut it.

BL.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Interesting placement right as comcast taking over.

I was never a dedicated Olbermann viewer, but I've enjoyed, on occasion, his perspective for quite some time. Sometimes it's good to hear someone liberal stand up and say what they want to say, rather than remaining spinelessly PC and innoffensive as is often the case. I also felt that, while clearly liberally biased, Olbermann and Maddow tend to have the facts straight much more often than their conservative alternatives.

Either way, a loss for msnbc. I'll certainly have little reason to tune in any longer.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah, this. Hate to tell you, Full of Whatever, but most "liberals" don't take their talking points from their saviors at Fox News or any other single news source. Almost no liberal I know consistently watches talk news, but almost every right-winger I know keeps close watch on Limbaugh and Beck. THAT is why Fox has such high ratings...not their "fair and balanced" approah.

11. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

What answer in the article? All that is know is that he is leaving. MSNBC has not stated the reason as to why.

There is nothing more than that, so I don't see what substance it lacks, as there is very little as of now to post. What can you report? Poster did not make stuff up? Poster did not have inside info to share?

12. KingYaba, Jan 21, 2011

KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You might enjoy Alan Colmes on the radio. I kind of like him...

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Damn, I like Olbermann. I wonder where he'll go from here. Maybe Fox will kick Beck off and replace him with Olbermann? Wouldn't that be funny. He was really the only reason I ever watched MSNBC. Normally I'm on CNBC, and if there's something that is non-business that is ACTUALLY news it makes it into the broadcasts. Nothing about Paris Hilton's latest sex tape or the latest photo showing LiLo shooting up there.

-Don

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good speculation/reason right there.

BL.

15. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

So because I did not include rank speculation, my post lacks content? I have amended the post, as I hand planned to, to include several links (FoxNews, MSNBC, ect..). I also added the picture that FoxNews is using in its story.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

FOX isn't going to get rid of Beck (well, I'd be surprised if they did), but I think it would be a brilliant move for them to hire Olbermann. Seriously.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Definitely didn't agree with his super hyperbole, but damnit if he didn't bring serious points to the table once in a while.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I did report it. The initial post not a discussion of the topic, it's an "in-your-face".

There's a worthwhile discussion here, but not the way it started.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

With MSNBC's low ratings and Comcast taking over I wonder if they will completely overhaul the network. CNN has the british guy now and Fox News isn't going anywhere so where does that leave MSNBC.

20. 184550, Jan 21, 2011

184550 Guest

Glad we can count on you two to keep the classroom under control when the teacher isn't in the room.

I thought this kind of behavior died out after elementary/ middle school.

IMO, there's simply no need to comment on the fact that the OP is out of line and you're going to report. Just report it for Christ's sake and get on with your life.

As for the original post, I'm glad he's gone. People like him really have no place in the news cycle.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Uh, the OP is neither gone nor in the news cycle.

22. 184550 Guest

Original Post.

That's how I've always used it around here at least.

I would guess you're reading it as 'Original Poster'.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Despite all the blather otherwise, I'll bet this has something to do with Comcast. What a nightmare that marriage is going to be.

24. misfit356tsw macrumors regular

What, you reported this thread? If you want to combat something that you consider to be wrong why don't you discuss? Sure the thread is "in-your-face", but there are so many ways to intellectually discuss your disagreements. Now onto the matter at hand.

Keith Olbermann will be an extremely divisive figure no matter where he goes. I found his breakdown of Senator Scott Brown to be both amusing and saddening at the same time. Calling Scott Brown a rabid conservative was laughable at best. His most recent attempt at blaming the Arizona shooting on conservatives was just sad. At first it sounded like he was going to legitimately discuss political divides in general but then he just drug the event right through the same old partisan gutter. Making the Arizona incident into partisan hackery was just sad. I can't say that I am going to miss him at MSNBC.

25. misfit356tsw macrumors regular

He tooks things a little to far a little to often but he was entertaining to watch occasionally.