Keith Olbermann says McCain campaigner threatened MSNBC staff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On Friday's Countdown, Keith Olbermann complained bitterly about the McCain's relationship with the media.

Following his reporting on John McCain's contradictory attitudes towards the media ("I love to bash the media all the time" vs. "I do not complain about the media...because that's not appropriate for me to do so..."), Olbermann administered this scolding:

Video (It's in the second half of the clip.)

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I saw that on the show yesterday, but since he didn't elaborate, I didn't know what to make of it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I watch Countdown pretty regularly and Olbermann is fast approaching blow hard territory.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Olbermann is just as bad as O'Reilly just on the other side. He really should of stayed in sports casting.

5. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

I watched it once and I swear I thought it was a comedy show...

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Bill regularly lies. Keith does not. There's a HUGE difference there.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They both like to hear themselves talk and wont let anyone else get a word in.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I tried Googling and everything... :eek: What exactly did Steve Schmidt (I take it this is the person Olbermann is accusing of having threatened MSNBC staff) say or do?

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

He didn't say, and I didn't like that he made the accusation and didn't offer any more than that. Also, I wish that he had done a segment on Biden' exxagerations/misstatements/lies at the same time he did Palin's, if only to show the disparity between the two.

I like him, and I like the show, but I liked it even more earlier in its life--back when he used to have guests with actual opposing opinions, like Pat Buchanan. As much as I completely disagree with him, when he used to come on the show, there were times when my jaw would drop because I agreed with some of what he said.

That said, he doesn't lie, and while I do find the show too one-sided lately, I think comparing him to O'Reilly is a bit much.

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

That's simply not true at least ont he getting a word else in. He likes to hear himself talk. That's not a big deal. But lying and yelling at your guests is and makes Keith incomparable to Bill.

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Just to make excuses, he does have neutral people on alot and besides, Pat is only constantly on every other show on MSNBC.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I'm not surprised he didn't say anything, but given that there is also no other apparent documentation of this incident, like a press release from MSNBC, that is a little off. Perhaps that official statement is yet forthcoming.

If it did happen, it's possibly (depending on what is actually meant by threatening) a serious incident. Campaigns on both sides attract hotheads all the time -- those same personality traits serve the campaign well. But if there was a threat of physical violence or another kind of serious and inappropriate threat (as opposed, say, to a threat of tort) then the campaign needs to respond appropriately.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can think of at least two reasons why Olbermann wouldn't go into detail:

1. There were no neutral witnesses, so getting into specifics would be a matter of "he said/she said".
    2. NBC management said, "Look, this guy could become president, and we sure don't want to get off on the wrong foot by making a detailed accusation."
    FWIW, Brian Williams was on Letterman's show and said that the McCain campaign is giving NBC the cold shoulder. He said, "We think it's because they're unhappy with our cable programming." I would take that to mean Keith; certainly David Letterman did.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Letterman is a media whore.

He is no longer relevant, if he ever was.

(A former fan. :eek:)

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Agreed. Glad someone said it before me.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Letterman is an Independent who is more than likely going to vote for Obama.

He certainly doesn't care much for McCain or Bush.

The man has a conscience..

Republicans have no soul.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

But let's not forget that McCain has been on Letterman countless times, and has been treated very well. They had no problem with him until they decided to lie to him and he called them out on it.

And a McCain rep finally went on Rachel Maddow's show yesterday. She gave the rep a LOT of time to talk, which she always does, even though her show is a Keith O. production.

The McCain camp is a bunch of hypocrites.