Kelly Thomas verdict: Demonstrators gather at beating site

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78887404/

Disgusting seeing the cops get away with it

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I cried when I heard the verdict today/ Having spent the past few years working in the Homeless Services Community, I know a lot of guys just like Mr. Thomas and they need help, not abuse. I've been trying to follow what I could about this trial since first hearing about it two years ago.

The video of the incident was one of the most disturbing and difficult things I've ever witnessed.

How the police were found not guilty is beyond me; the whole thing was caught on tape for crying out loud, and they had audio recordings of the cops telling Mr. Thomas that they were getting ready to "*&^% him up"; along with audio of him screaming for help.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. redshift1 macrumors regular

A daily occasion somewhere in the U.S. I don't remember any of this when I was growing up of course no smart phones then either.

5. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

This really angers me.

We truly live in a police state where police offers can get away with murder.

How did this injustice occur when there's a video SHOWING WHAT HAPPENED?

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Shocked at and dismayed by the verdict.

Michael

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This says it all :

"Defense attorneys said their clients should not be convicted for simply doing their jobs. Ramos' attorney, John Barnett, told reporters: "These peace officers were doing their jobs.... They did what they were trained to do."

They were doing their jobs. Killing.

8. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

You know what I call this, the Nazi defense. Because we heard this over and over from Nazi soldiers after WWII.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The bold part is the sad truth. Unfortunately, most police officers are taught that the first priority is that they must always control everyone in any situation. That strategy works badly when dealing with the mentally ill, as time and time again we have seen mentally ill people die because they were not able or willing to comply immediately, and in many cases clearly not even understanding what was expected of them or why.

My personal opinion is that police officers should be trained to use he minimal force necessary to ensure everyone's safety.

I really don't believe that most policemen start out their careers wanting to kill defenseless mentally ill homeless people. The training they receive is wrong.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a very good question.

Agreed. These cops should have been convicted and put away for life.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This man was guilty of nothing. He was murdered in cold blood by cops on a power trip.

Hopefully a civil case breaks the back of the whole department for a decade.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sadly the tax payers pick up the tab. Cops still get their pensions ETC

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Speaking of unpopular beliefs, I believe that mentally ill homeless people are people.

I see that E. Fuller Torrey has another book out on what happened back in the 1960's and 1970's:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Psychosis-Government-Destroyed-Treatment/dp/0199988714

I haven't read it, but, the reviews are good.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda