KellyAnn Conway Goes after AOC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 30, 2019.

1. samcraig, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. raqball macrumors 68000

AOC? Yeah but you all keep using her youth as an excuse.. She is 29 so not sure that's even a good argument to start...

Oh wait, not what you meant eh? :p

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No, no it isn't. As I mentioned when I posted this, it's the fact that those on the right obsessively have to bring AOC up, even if it's in a matter AOC isn't even remotely involved in.

4. niji, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

niji Contributor

niji

thanks for the link.

its fascinating to listen to both conway and huckabee-sanders, on so many different levels.

last year i just clicked on a different link when both of these liars began talking.

but now i actually look for links that have either of these two making their arguments as best as they can.

learning how both of them try to make what they believe are well-formulated defenses of rump is hilarious.
    but they are the best of his defenders.
    graham (senator), and mulvaney have learned alot from these two women.

hands down, the best defense of rump is to simply to lie.
    no matter how ridiculous the lie is, no matter about what issue.
    if its white, just simply call it black. if its old, just simply call it new.

formula: x is = because lyin' media

Big Brother, doublethink, thoughtcrime, Newspeak, Room 101, telescreen, 2 + 2 = 5, memory hole
    (above are straight from wiki on 1984)

we need to consider ourselves fortunate in way.
    we have seen how a democracy can easily slide into tyranny if we dont vote capable (and, dare i say it) intellectuals* into office.

*intellectuals means people who can and do read intelligence briefs instead of people who try to make up cute crowd pleasers to demean their opponents at political rallies

the take away is: america really failed at higher education.

i can't wait until rump forms his own cable news network (or becomes commentator ex-emeritus) on fox, hosted from Sing Sing.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

6. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

It's a pretty sad obsession, it does happen on both sides though. Why are there sides when it involves the good of the nation?! Politics have all become overly dramatic, it's like watching a marathon of a soap opera... who's going to come down with amnesia next?!

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

My question has been though, what new congressperson on the right has the left been as obsessed with? It's not a realistic equivalence to trot out 45, since their relative places of importance are diametrically apart. So who on the other side of the political aisle has received the same level of scrutiny. Because the only other congress person that gets as much as attention is on the same side of aisle as AOC, and that's Omar. So who on the right in similar positions gets this treatment?

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I wish I could remember who in Trump’s camp said it, but my favorite attributed quote to date was saying the influx of Middle Eastern refugees into Germany is the worst thing to happen in their history. So many layers of wrong in that onion.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It's okay, let them keep pegging away at AOC who's not even in the 2020 lineup 'cuz 2 young to run...

On the other hand maybe AOC's just a distractive loss leader for Beto O'Rourke, eh?

Oops. Yeah. Now there's a half-a-tree-huggin' dude who actually is running for prez... and in case no one noticed, he has now plunked down a four-point, five trillion dollar AOC-lite version of how to run a renewable energy policy up the flagpole before the sun melts the metal.

And what then about AOC? Well... one nice thing about the US senate is you only have to be 30 to be seated. AOC turns 30 in October. Maybe Cuomo will flip Gillibrand's seat to AOC if she signs on with Beto to help shape this country up until AOC can see over the dashboard.... :p

Some on the right are paying attention though. You can tell when right off the Washington Examiner starts harping on O'Rourke as a flip flopper "like Kerry"... oooh... these plans of Dems to fight off climate change with tax code changes and focus on renewables must have really struck a nerve and not only in parts of Texas.

But hey, watch the birdie! AOC is so watchable, ain't she? Even Conway's looking now? Wow!

Man the Republicans are so gullible. They been taught by the best, the best to "watch the birdie!".

10. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

I didn't know we had to specifically limit it to particular areas of government and within time spans, how very limiting and telling. Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin come to mind though.

I would also include any individual in any office throughout government, the fact that any side feels it's okay to actively target and wish harm or failure on is disgusting. Americans should hope that no matter who wins the position or gets appointed, that they succeed in that job at bringing about the best possible outcome for the nation. The current two party system is so corrupt and flawed, I hope to see great changes on both sides in the future.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You mean individuals no longer in office have become the new equivalent? There’s a grand difference in taking proposals made by AOC out of continuous context intentionally, and pointing out repeated gaffes & hypocrisies of an individual who wanted the second most powerful job in U.S. politics.

With AOC isn’t a concern about how well she does her job, or helps her constituents. It’s about stoking the partisan base.

12. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

Spin it however you need to, it historically happens to both parties. No grand difference, Cortez has said some pretty idiotic things. My argument isn’t getting into what any of them say, it’s about how they’re being treated by those opposite their party, it’s wrong no matter how you try to justify it. Currently, Sarah Sanders is the target of “the left”.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

There is no spin. I very clearly asked what congress person on the right, freshman specifically, faces the same scrutiny? This based on your claim that both sides do such things. You make the point I’ve said before, it’s about reaching for different equivalences, because such scrutiny does NOT exist on both sides. It is even more compounded when you add Omar to the list of examples.

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Both-sides-ism and false equivalency are logical fallacies. Sarah Sanders is currently the target of "the left" because she admitted to lying to the American people about the reason Comey was fired and regularly defends the lies of the most dishonest president in the history of our country.

Is that "partisan" or just a reasonable, unbiased statement?

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Do both major Parties partake of behavior like this? Yes.

Left - see it's the Right! :mad:
    Right - see it's the Left! :mad:

Then there is a third group that watches and shakes their head in wonder .... :D

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The thing is though people try to pretend as if the focus on her by the right is some kind of norm. It’s something both sides do. Just show me the examples of the left’s similar scrutiny of a freshman republican congress person. This can’t be that hard if both sides are doing it all the time as hear over & over.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I think if you took out the qualifier you would more likely get a response.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

B
    i shouldn’t have to though, since it’s an important factor about AOC.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

The fact that the majority of this thread is concerned with false-equivalency arguments rather than the substance of the OP is pretty much why we have the Political landscape we have here in the US. I don't believe you'll lose your membership pin for pointing out when someone is demonstrably an idiot - as Conway was. Oh, when reality was non-partisan...

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

But not a part of the comment by @Sciomar.
    Not part of mine either .... ;)

If I remember the GOP has a youngster or two but they are not spotlight seekers like a couple of the new Dems.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

As I’ve said here a many times before criticizing people for not denouncing clearly heinous behaviors of others is silly. I’m sure we can point to every politician who has failed to tweet out a comment about a world event or event in their district. Nor is Twitter the be all end all of public statements. There will always been an event someone can point to and say “why didn’t you say something about that”. Both sides play this game and honestly it’s grandstanding and a double standard played out infinitely.

As for the “obsession with AOC”. AOC is strategically seeks attention for herself and the media on the left and right but into it. She’s a public official so that comes with the territory- especially when she’s one with notoriety and rather unconventional (or extreme if you’d prefer) policy ideas. I find this “obsessive” accusation a bit totalitarian in that it’s an easy excuse for suppressing conversation by demonizing others. And this is coming from someone who has only made a few comments about AOC, some critical, some defending her.

That said, if the right doesn’t want to see her or someone like her elected, they should be careful about how much attention they give her. The left did the same “obsessive” thing with Trump during the primaries, giving him essentially all the free air time he wanted. It’s the reality TV approach, keeping the most controversial figures in the spotlight to garner more viewers. And I believe consequently that’s a significant reason why and how Trump won the election.

AOC, like Trump, is very good- in some respects probably better at keeping herself relevant and in the limelight.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

who's shining the spotlight though? Also, is it flattering light?

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Having only a youngster or two is one of the GOP's biggest problems. It may have something to do with not having enough young party workers and voters as well.

As far as Conway going after AOC, whenever Conway gets out there on a spin mission, is when I bother to read some of the newspapers I sub to in a little more detail because whatever she's talking about is not what's bothering the GOP and/or the White House, and they'd rather we watch her performance than dive into the lacuna she's trying to mask.

Where is Mitch McConnell anyway? All this chatter about an infrastructure plan afoot and the Senate Majority Leader is keeping his own counsel? Could that be because the Rs had figured they preferred a public-private partnership approach to infrastructure remediation, but Trump way back in 2017 had said he wasn't a big fan of those because they "tended not to work out." Yah, especially maybe with respect to transit systems... and a lot of Republicans agree. So now Trump is crossing the aisle to play with the Dems on this issue, the way some Rs always figured he might do once the House flipped? And some of those Rs might be looking at upcoming elections and falling in on the side of Trump and the Dems, leaving McConnell ruminating about budget issues but possibly short of a way to derail a voter-popular investment?

Why did McConnell's wife's Transportation agency get raided by a guy now meant to fill Trump's deputy AG slot after Rosenstein's exit? Are they getting that low on personally loyal help in Trump's inner circle that they can't just round up a new guy for the DoJ?

Speaking of infrastructure,,,, isn't that related to transportation? Yep, and Elaine Chao, McConnell's wife, was present at the infrastructure meeting, along with Ivanka Trump, Kudlow and a Kudlow deputy... why was Ivanka there one could wonder. Well, because Ivanka and Jared have pivoted to campaign mode and are putting their focus on campaign-positive accomplishments of Trump's administration even if the Congress has one foot in Mueller's report and the other in trying to get traction somehow in their own re-election efforts. ​

So many questions... but Conway's been out there doing a full court press on how the remarks of a young female freshman Democrat in the House of Representatives on Twitter have not adequately covered the terror attacks in Sri Lanka. OK then. Duly noted. Can hardly wait to hear what Elaine Chao, Larry Kudlow, his deputy, Ivanka Trump, her dad Don the Prez plus Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer all have to add to what we already know and lament about the Sri Lanka tragedy as well. Surely they must have taken that up in their meeting. No point in discussing anything else and moving right along... not until we can fully understand exactly how badly AOC messed up recently by failing to focus on what really seems to matter to Trump's PR spokesperson at large. :rolleyes:

Hint: when someone like Conway bothers to spin about how much it matters what a freshman congressperson in the opposition says about anything, there is something else going on and it's not just the free press should be wondering what it is.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Yup. Smoke and mirrors.