Kendrick Lamar booted a white fan off stage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bmac4, May 23, 2018.

1. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

What do you guys think about this story? Did Kendrick set the fan up?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...r-kick-white-fan-off-stage-n-word-lyrics/amp/

I don’t for a second believe the girl is racists, I just think she was not thinking anything about it. If it were me, I probably won’t sing the lyric on stage because I won’t in private either. That is just me though.

I think it’s bad taste on Lamar’s part for doing that to the fan. I get it, but be more respectful.

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Rapper writes a song.
    Asks fan to sing song.
    Gets offended by the fan singing the lyrics he wrote.

This is a great example of why the whole “I can say this word but you can’t” nonsense is, well, nonsense.

3. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

Yeah I don’t much like it either. Don’t put it in your lyrics if you don’t want everyone singing it.

I will add, I like Kendrick Lamar as a rapper and what he does poetically. He has a voice, and he uses well. This though, not a good look.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That was an ******* move. Paying fan who obviously enjoys your music, knows the words...

Not a good look.

*I read the article, but after watching the video, it does look to be some sort of stunt. If not, the lady was very calm and seemed almost unphased.

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I used to like listening to rap a loooong time ago (like in the E-40/Death Row/No Limit days). I stopped for several reasons, first of which is that I just realized that what I was listening to no longer mapped onto my reality or any reality I wanted to be associated with.

I do think that it’s a valid (not necessarily good, but valid) form of giving a voice to what one might be experiencing when growing up in certain environments. I just personally prefer not to hear it, and events like this are a good reminder why.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

You’re probably right. Growing up I was a huge fan of Tupac. I was in middle school when he died, so I didn’t really understand what all he stood for. Now, looking back I get it. Of course all the crap later on that I think lead to his death was not the same, but he was a visionary. He had a voice, and at one point was using it in the right way. Not promoting violence, and drugs or anything like that. Today he would be a huge voice for social justice, and I think he could speak to everyone not just the black community. He crossed racial lines, and could possible been a voice for our generation. Those are the types of rappers I like.

Today most of it is the Drakes of the world. It’s all about the money and fame. Something I can’t relate to, nor can the majority of their fans. I want someone that talks about real issues today, not telling me how many cars they have. I think the only person truly doing that is Donald Glover. Both in tv and with his music. That’s real. Sure I don’t deal with that on a daily bases, but it sure opens my eyes to it.

This stunt by Kendrick just destroys any voice he had for me. Why did he put that in his lyric in the first place? Especially if he didn’t want a white girl singing it? You’re right though.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

If the word is that offensive then don’t use it in your lyrics.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

She was using the n-word with the "er" ending, she's supposed to use the more casual "a" ending.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2018 ---
    Hey you're probably not a Chris Brown fan but his video for Freaky Friday covers this. We was a white guy who changes brains with Chris Brown and he says "I wonder if I can say n-----?" NSFW but pretty funny...

10. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

That hilarious! Not a big fan of Chris Brown, but that is funny.

11. A.Goldberg, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It seems he set her up for failure. A pretty disgusting move on his part. He wrote the lyrics, knows the lyrics, and asked the fan to sing. If he didn’t want a white person using his lyrics he shouldn’t have asked her to sing (or written them for that matter). This is a great way to ruins someone’s life and future.

If you look at he lyrics of the song, the N-word is basically in every line. Had she censored the N-word the song would have sounded like a blank mad lib.

Also- I’m not sure quoting use of the n-word is unacceptable. Plenty of books in school the teacher/professor would directly say the n-word because that’s what the author wrote.

12. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Was she forced on stage? Was she ordered to sing it under duress? I thought it was common sense not to say/do offensive things?

She should have politely refused and walked off stage.

13. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

Are you serious?

14. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Yes?

15. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

So the artist calls you on stage to sing the song. You sing the lyrics to the song, yet your white so you can’t sing the all the lyrics, yet if he had picked a black person it would be ok? That about right? And it’s her fault, and she should be shamed for it? That about right?

16. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That word is offensive, period. I don't really care who says it.
    Yes it is her fault unless someone can show she was somehow forced to say it.

Just because it is in a song doesn't make it some how okay say/sing it.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I actually don't find that word so offensive, I don't use it, but I hear it all the time in music or between people and it doesn't bother me.

18. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

So he shouldn’t be using in his song? That what you’re saying.

The problem I have is shaming her for doing so.

19. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

My opinion is he shouldn't be using the that word either.
    She should be shamed and so should he for using it in public and especially to make a profit.

The question is should Kendrick Lamar(or any other person) be given a pass based on their skin color. In my opinion the answer is no.

20. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

I agree neither should be give a pass, but him doing that to her was wrong. Sure she shouldn’t say it, but there as no reason for that.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

What an ******... she can buy his music, pay money for his concert but can't sing the words he wrote for the song. GTFOH... if the word offends you so much stop using it as every other lyric in your songs Jack@$$

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Why should she be shamed by him for singing the lyrics he wrote? That’s the question.

Isn’t that just a little hypocritical? And isn’t it also hypocritical of all the people in the crowd who are booing her knowing darn well they've listened to and likely paid for the explicit version of that song that he wrote?

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've been to a few rap concerts and there's plenty of white folks in the audience singing along and not bleeping anything out. I think it was stupid of LeMar to pick a young white girl out of the audience to sing the song, he should issue an apology to the girl for embarrassing her.

I'm pretty sure kendrick has a song out where he refers to whites as crackers, maybe he should have pulled the girl up to sing that one.

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That is a Lil Dicky song which is why the song is funny. Chris is just featured...

25. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 601

bmac4

Oh yeah I got that.