Kennedy Casts Key Vote as Medicare Bill Passes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Jul 9, 2008.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/washington/10kennedy.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Its so sad.

Kennedy, who previously wasn't expect to return until fall, showed up in senate at 4:15 to vote for the bill, which passed with veto proof majority of 69 votes.

This won't stop my friend's 25 years family practice from going under, He mainly treats low-income population such that his income is 60% from medicare, over the years as well as foreseeable future the whole trend of medicare is dying out. He don't have any savings in the bank and quite a bit in debt. 55,000/year just doesn't make sense for a guy who has been taken care of poor people for all his life.

This is ridiculous and unbelievably sad. Even with such a great success today in the senate.

This is sad. I applaud senator Kennedy for his heroic act. I regret US health care system is killing good doctors.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

In another thread I can't remember, someone said doctors opposed gov involvement with healthcare because they lost money (or something, it didn't actually make that much sense). I disagreed, but didn't really have too much to back it up. Though I have noticed more hospitals are closing, just as ERs are becoming even more overcrowded, especially with those who don't have any healthcare. If you don't mind, I'll post what I recently found here:

Doctors Press Senate to Undo Medicare Cuts

Most medical professionals support some gov help, and though I'm iffy on full state sponsored healthcare, we do have to do something about the current sad state of affairs we have that just isn't working.

And my thoughts go out to Kennedy and his family. Having recently lost someone I care about to cancer, it particularly hit home. It's amazing he was able to make it out for the vote, no matter the outcome. McCain didn't even see it as a priority.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm guessing your friend's income comes mostly from Medicaid (which is for the low-income), and that's even more poorly-funded than Medicare. Turns out poor people aren't as strong a lobby as the elderly.

That said, yeah, $55k is ridiculously low for a physician, no matter the circumstances. I mean, that's not much more than residents in certain specialties in some cities make...Considering all the lost earning potential of the extra schooling and of residency, on top of considerable education debt, $55k is a pittance. We need to support healthcare more by making the system healthy; hopefully then, folks like your friend won't have to struggle disproportionately just to meet the important societal needs that the whole system should be sharing.