Kentucky church votes to ban interracial couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Dec 1, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Looks like racism is alive and well in Kentucky! Worst part? Instead of voting against it, some members just left because they didn't want to be a part of the vote. Disgusting.

Link

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well if they do not come back to the church leaving speaks volumes.

Hell I would of walked out on the fact the the vote even came up. I would walk out of the church and refused to vote. It also would be the last time I set foot in that church. The 40 people who left speaks volumes. Those 40 should be counted as no votes. It should never of been voted on. Also membership at that church it is safe to say it has greatly been reduced.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Shocking right? Ignorance and racism in a church in the South. God bless America!

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Awful lot of speculation there. Not wanting to be a part of the vote is tacit to voting yes IMO. If they really are against it, they should have stayed and voiced their opinions.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So this "church" went from 40 to 15 people.... :eek:

(gets up and starts clapping...)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. By not attending and not supporting the church financially does more than voting against it. I know I would leave a church that even considered banning interracial couples.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I wish the article were a little more clear as to weather those people left permanently or left that day just to dodge the vote.

8. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Sadly, I see this in a lot of churches around my area and even in my church. I constantly get into arguments about this. It always ends the same though. I simply ask, show me where in the bible it says a black person and a white person can't get married. They usually shut down or try to describe what it says. I've even had this discussion with my parents. I just don't understand the problem some people have with it.

9. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What state are you in?

10. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Good ol' Tennessee.
    The heart of the bible belt I might add.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I hate to stereotype, but it figures. Racism is still more predominant in the south than up north to this very day.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Perhaps not in the literal meaning, but definitely in the figurative meaning.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes -- the one really is more what Rodimus suggested and the other what rdowns suggested. I would agree with Rodimus -- if I were a member of a church and this topic even came up for serious enough discussion to warrant voting, I would say, "Sorry, guys, it's been a nice ride, see ya." There are plenty of other churches.

Oh, and looking at the "News for you" headlines ... has Yahoo been acquired by the Onion?

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

They left the church as in went home from service, not left as in never going back.

That is wrong

15. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

True, and it sucks because I am tired of being thrown in that pot of racist, sexist, non-educated, dip spitting backwoods red neck.

16. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah yahoo isn't known for it's quality of articles, but i go there because i get the most variety and something keeps me going to that site. If these people left permanently rather than voting, then they did the right thing. If they plan on coming back after the vote just so they can say they had no part in it, then that's wrong.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So's my brother. I hope people like you both can start changing the south but there's a lot more of them then you and old habits die hard...

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

19. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Then why do it ?

My question is why is this pastor called "former pastor".

21. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

There was this one poster, I forget when/where I saw it, that said "If everyone woke up one day being the same race, religion, political party, etc., we'll find a new way to discriminate by noon."

Just a shame how so many people feel the need to discriminate based on, what I feel, are trivial matters.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not sure this is entirely fair. In my part of the country, a "town" is loosely defined as "a place that has a bar", whereas in Kentucky, et al, a "town" is "a place that has a church". The church is the cultural center of the community, the place where people get together and bond (theology is slightly more than noteworthy background noise to the social aspect). To find another church in a small town in Appalachia might be impractical.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

See now. That's the good thing about Appalachia. Religion is so prevalent there all one need do is open your front door and you have another church.

disclaimer : My dad was born in Troy,Tennessee.
    /disclaimer

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There's a church on every other block in the south.

According to Yahoo! local, there are 92 churches near Tomahawk, KY.

http://local.yahoo.com/KY/Tomahawk/Government+Community/Religion+Spirituality/Churches

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese