Kentucky gives the dumbest argument yet against gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, May 12, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I changed the word "weirdest" in the headline to "dumbest", because that's what it is. No, seriously though, where in the hell did these people graduate law school? Are they actually pro-gay marriage and just finding the worst arguments to give to ensure that they lose? This is just laughable....

Link

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Any day now, I expect one or more of the "usual suspects" will claim that "gay marriage is the reason why the dinosaurs went extinct"...

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, yeah. Og got pissed off at the perverted things those dinos were doing, so he sent a great flood .....

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is a terrible argument, and it ignores the possibility of adoption by people who wouldn't otherwise have children.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, in a way, we could refer to this lady and her antiquated beliefs the "dinosaurs", and hopefully these beliefs will soon be extinct.

USA has been around for 238 years. Maybe by the 250th anniversary of our independence we'll finally live up to "All men are created equal".

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

This argument is completely illogical. Furthermore Gays and lesbians have children because they want them and often times make better parents than some straight people. This attorney is on crack.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Dropping birthrates in the US is a good idea - the world's population has gone up by more than 50% in my lifetime. If the US needs young workers, we can allow more immigration.

I suppose Latherow will argue for polygamy & adultery next, since this would increase birth rates.

8. APlotdevice, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Truth be told, immigration is already the reason the US population continues to increase. In other MDCs (More Developed Countries) the number has either stabilized or is even in decline (eg. Japan). LDCs (Less Developed Counties) like India are where we continue to see a population explosion.

Now of course this has nothing to do with gay marriage, but rather a number of factors common to MDCs, including the economic viability of raising a child, better access to birth control, and women's rights.

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't get why these people are so obsessed with procreation all of a sudden. It's not as if we've had rumors of an upcoming underpopulation issue. Gay people are mother nature's population control. This should be embraced. If more gay people were comfortable enough to come out of the closet and get married, they could raise all those kids sitting in orphanages that straight people created and don't want.

10. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

In the original post quote, I replace the word "rational" with "rationalization". ;) Instead of honestly voicing their religious based concerns, this is a real stretch, it's demeaning and prejudicial.

----------

The beauty of religion :rolleyes:: Non-traditional sexual orientation is considered a flaw and a sin, and for their cherished institution of marriage (which they hoard for the "righteous"), they attempt to build a case that every aspect of such individuals are faulty and sinful, while overlooking the cold hard facts that stable same gender relationships do just as well raising kids as heterosexual couples.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, all viable sentient concatenations of organic matter will have to take their chances, equally.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

That's assuming the sapient concatenations of inorganic matter let them. IOW, AI FTW.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

The argument is nothing new. I was hearing about this argument back when Canada allowed gay marriage back in (I think) 2005. People made the same argument then and it still didn’t make sense then either.

Why do they still make tired old arguments. Just like creationists, they don’t have facts so they resort to tired arguments that appeal to non factual ideas that hopefully resonate with people. It’s all about emotion.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

WRONG

They always make better parents.

A gay couple WANTS a child to love, to care about, to send to school, to push to do well, and to protect.

And according to the right, that is wrong, and Jebus says no! I am Jebus! Buy Walmart!

But some trashy couple in a trailer blowing out kids and not taking care of them? That is freedom and perfect as far as the right sees it.

15. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's pure 'Merica right there...

----------

Yeah but these aren't your average joes, these are supposedly highly trained attorneys. They have a lawsuit they're supposed to try to win here, and they're doing an absolutely pathetic job at it. I mean, they MUST know that these arguments are completely invalid. They can't be serious.

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If there is hope it lies with the transhumans...

17. pdjudd macrumors 601

Of course they know that the arguments are invalid. That’s because they don’t have andy good arguments other then ones that purely appeal to emotion or just don’t make any sense. Anything else they have, has been already rejected by other people. If they had any real good arguments, they would be using them, but they don’t.

Like I said before. It’s the same reason you hear the same debunked arguments from creationists - they don’t have any real proof nor do they have any bevel arguments, they just fall back to what gets an emotional argument or they just rely on the hopeful stupidity of the audience.

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, just Sex Ed.

...but that would be shot down even faster.
    Heaven forbid teaching children, er, young adults something they are already clumsily experimenting with, sometimes badly.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

uh it is...this has been a proven fact for decades.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

[​IMG]
    As you can see on the far right, Dinosaurs are actually still around. :p

21. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Hard to believe I grew up being taught dinos were cold blooded reptiles. :) Btw, I just tamed two pteranodons. They are quite lively, providing good single person transportation. :p

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

We need 2 more gay marriage threads to equal the quantity of Trump threads visible on page one.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Actually, we need just one more.

Makes you really uncomfortable, doesn't it?

I will admit that it is strange that we have more threads discussing a narcissistic, reality-show-style Presidential hopeful than we do about a real issue affecting millions of people.