Kentucky must recognize Same Sex Marriages performed in other states

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SwiftLives, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The state bans against same sex marriage are falling like dominoes. But I believe this is the first time a judge has only ordered a state to recognize marriages from other states.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The ball is rolling.

Those opposed, are just going to get run over.

And I feel sooo bad for them.

3. SwiftLives thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Obviously, this is yet another case of an ultra-liberal activist judge attempting to impose his agenda on the innocent people of....what's that? The judge is a Republican? And was appointed by Bush I? With support from Mitch McConnell?

[Source - which contains the full text of the ruling]

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But...but... legislating from the bench! :eek: ;)

BL.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would so hate to be anti-gay right now.

It must be really, really difficult for those people.

:(

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

[​IMG]

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Judges will rarely go beyond what was asked in the suit. In a recent Ohio case, where a couple sued to have their out-of-state marriage recognized so that they could be buried in adjacent plots, while the judge made no secret of his beliefs in general, he didn't extend the right to marry to everyone. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/23/judge-ohio-recognize-gay-marriages-death-certificates.

The state, of course, is appealing. Because yes, the hate is THAT strong. So strong that they would literally dig up a corpse out of his grave in order to deny him a shred of dignity.

Some people claim you can be against equal marriage and not be a bigot. They are lying through their teeth.

----------

They'll be here in a minute to speak for themselves. And of course to swear up and down they're not anti-gay, just pro-marriage.

Some of them may even have fooled themselves into believing it.

8. sostoobad macrumors regular

Here is my 2 cents....as a hetero male..I think what we are seeing is what it is going to be called eventually is pure discrimination.

The last thing I want is the govt in my private life. If two consenting adults want to get married...so be it. If the govt says wait a minute you are not a man and a woman...we won't allow it...in my book that is 100% discrimination...whats next for the govt, no black and white marriages....no catholic and jewish people can tie the knot....where does it end.

I want my Govt protecting this land from all enemies, that is job 1
    not meddling in anyones private affairs.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I am completely confused by your post.

The government has been instrumental in reducing discrimination.

What makes you believe they would now institutionalize it?

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not for nothing, but if it weren't for government meddling in anyone's private affairs, we wouldn't have what we have now.

No Black and white marriages? See Loving v. Virginia.
    No same-sex relationships? See Lawrence v. Texas.
    Benefits for same-sex marriages? See United States v. Windsor.

Government was already in this from the beginning, and it took government to make things right. That's right; the Judicial Branch is still government.

Personally, if it weren't for Loving I probably would not only be dead or in jail for the rest of my life, but my children wouldn't exist.

BL.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nice to see this.

I wish PA would get equal rights. It's pretty sad I can get fired if someone finds out I'm gay and I can't even get married in my state.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In related news, we have this in from the first state that passed a same-sex marriage ban, Missouri:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/...o-Recognize-Same-Sex-Marriages-245210491.html

If this goes through, it will be a race between Nevada, Kentucky, or Missouri as to which will be the next state to allow it.

BL.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, the beauty of life-time appointments, if this is one?

Once appointed to the Court, the Justice is free from political 'interference', and able to make decisions based on Law, not an agenda.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The way I read it, he doesn't seem to think the government should have any involvement in whether or not people can marry. That doesn't really work though as long as certain civil matters are explicitly tied to marriage, and that isn't about to change. It is a lot of quibbling to attempt to maintain status quo though.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There are idiots on my Facebook who think that because "gay marriage is allowed" in certain states that means no more babies will be born because everyone will magically turn gay.

These idiots are my age. I'm 32.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Seriously, people can't be that stupid ... can they?

(You don't have to answer that)

17. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Move to Erie, you can't be fired for being gay here. The act has been effect for the past 8 years.

Hugh

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Disregarding the complete lack of intelligence in that belief for a moment; that would be a bad thing how? ;)