Kerry endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Naimfan, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Shows you what a great pair they would have made had they won.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I keep hearing he didn't like Edwards and they disagreed over just how much involvement he would have in the campaign. Plus, they were both named John. That has to be confusing. Either he thinks it'll help and would rather have Obama, or he thinks it'll hurt and wants to help Hillary. Or he just wanted to look cool. Somehow I doubt it will mean much either way, but if we combine it with all the others, certainly is a knock at Hillary and her campaign.

Maybe they think she can't win, or that she will and would do a bad job.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You know, you may be right about that considering their constituency.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Swarmlord, we get it. You don't like Kerry or Edwards. Move on, okay? :rolleyes:

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Was that really necessary? If you really want to go there, one of your own even admitted once that "Most people are Republicans, unless they have too much education. Then they're Democrats" or something like that. I can't remember who said it. ;)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is being endorsed by a losing candidate a benefit or the kiss of death?

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

It didn't do Howard Dean any good.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think it's unlikely to matter. But the NY Times Caucus mentioned one analysis that if anything, it can only help, at least in the battle for accumulating positive media images.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The impact is probably entirely in the margins, which could matter but probably won't. Still, it's telling for those of us who follow the inside stories in politics.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think a Gore endorsement would matter far more. There are still tons of Democrats (myself included), who really really wish Gore had run and are, for that reason, lukewarm about the current candidates.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another losing candidate, but yes I think so, given Gore's following. It would also be read as a slap at the Clintons. For that reason alone, I think Gore is will try to remain above it all. He might also harbor some hopes of becoming the consensus candidate in a brokered convention, though this has to be a very long shot.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I honestly think he likes his standing in the private sector more than the risks of re-entering politics. I don't think he's banking on a brokered convention by any means. But I do agree with you that he will try to remain above it, esp. since his 2004 horse in the race lost.

As far as Gore being another losing candidate, remember that among many Democrats, Gore is still not perceived as being a loser. The 2000 election almost politically martyred him, and it definitely has enhanced his estimation with the party rank and file. And while Gore has completely remade himself into a much more popular and influential figure than he was in the late 90s, Kerry has just grown stale. So even if you consider them to be two losers, one of the losers has managed to be reborn as a winner.

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I couldn't agree more with the substance of your whole post.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wonder if Edwards is mad because of this endorsement?

16. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Edwards def didn't expect an endorsement for himself..

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

From everything I've been reading about the souring of their relationship, I think you are definitely right.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gore is popular among some Democrats, but this is probably the limits of his political appeal. Martyrdom appeals mainly to true believers and has a way of turning everyone else off. But I agree with you about Kerry -- he's essentially irrelevant now. His endorsement will be forgotten by the next news cycle, if it hasn't been already.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

At risk of extending an off-topic discussion, polling data seemed to suggest that Gore would have done pretty well had he run. However, that might be because people like Gore the non-candidate more than Gore the candidate, and it could be that if he had run, those numbers would have slipped. But yeah, his favorables were higher and his unfavorables were lower than most of the other Democratic candidates in the field.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't doubt that Gore would have done well in the primaries, but I think in the general election he'd probably do an Adlai Stevenson double belly-flop.

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think he would have been able to pull it off. But then again, I think a monkey would be able to pull it off against any one of these candidates except for McCain.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Endorsements dont mean jack squat unless they are coming from the masses. This endorsement like most others isnt worth much but it may line up $$$ from the corporate lobbiest who own Kerry hence will now own Obama. Again the paid off politician is suppose to represent us:confused:

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is anything he says? Don't bother confronting though, I'm sure he'd say he isn't calling the Dems dumb. Not that he'll say what he actually means if it isn't that, which of course it is. He'd just say we're all out to get him and misunderstand him on purpose to make him look bad because we're the ones who are partisan.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You know, to be fair, I don't see too many generally-accepted reprisals 'round here for snarky comments about conservatives. So let's give him a break.

That's why this forum was created: So we could all be jerks. :D

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

besides which, personal attacks against other posters is supposed to be against the forum rules isn't it?