Kevin Feige Confirms Valkyrie Will Be the MCU’s First LGBTQ Superhero

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 22, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/22/kevi...g1vygkMnTAR4sPO6cJzaf1A033eXy6e2uRE1Fy-8iLB7I
    hot women FTW.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Yeah, the movies, TV and comic books have been going down hill ever since. James Bond is now Jane Bond rather than having a new spin off spy movie. I don't see the need to replace the original James Bond. Doctor Who, while having a female Doctor (Which I don't mind, per-say), too many episodes are too politically correct, taking away from good story lines they use to have. So much more...

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that brings up another question, do the women just suck? do the directors? the plot lines? or all of the above?
    only movies I can remember with good female lead are wonder woman/salt. mrs mrs Smith. Maleficent . so Jolie has done very good in the lead, Scarlet Johanson can't act her way out of a paper bag in comparison.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The new James Bond is NOT Jane Bond.

James Bond retired from being 007, obviously the mantle has to continue in the history of 00's, so the new is a woman.

James Bond though, is still James Bond.

It's clever way of accommodating fans who wised another type of individual could be a lead in a James Bond film. This way they still have Jame Bond remain the way he's always been, but also offer an alternative however long that individual survives.

The question becomes were the films going downhill before? Since this film or the new Thor is still filming & doing some shoots, or not started at all. Which means you can't blame the addition of a woman to the story, as making the films go "downhill".

5. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Facts can be found in 15 seconds flat on Google or whatever search engine you prefer, why do you instead choose to post b******t?

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Nah they were all the same.

Problem is they were all the same, some US boy with issues putting on spandex (or an iron suit) saving the world from pure evil, shown in 80% CGI. Seen one seen them all......

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Er, I'm being sarcastic, I know it's not Jane. I still consider it replacing him as he is not actively in the movie. Put her in a new female British spy movie. Instead of telling people to google it, which is against the rules, to instead point to an actual article if you are so inclined.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Thor might make it, I like the lead actress but plot line does make a difference.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

But that's the same with any movie, whether the lead character is male, female, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or LGBTQ. Plot always makes a difference.

With creators on the Marvel movies, they've shown a record of success ( especially Taika Waititi ) that earns them benefit of the doubt.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I still don't get the mess over a fictional characters color or sex, I also thought Idris Elba was supposed to be the next bond? I like how he acts.

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

All of the above. So many good female leads: Long kiss goodnight, Cut Throat Island, Aliens ect. You don't need replacing all the characters to female ones, just because...Ghost Busters ( Sucked ), Ocean's 8. Or replacing long standing characters with female versions that seem to be all the rage lately. Doctor Who made sense as it fits in the story line so easily because of regeneration, except they went all SJW and I stopped watching altogether. CW's Bat Girl, Uggg...might of been good, but more SJW.

Its the plot that makes all the difference or else it's the same thinking you mentioned.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No. That was a wish of many fans, when it started as a rumor in English papers. The producers also said they liked the idea, but according to Elba no one ever approached him. There were rumors as well at the time of a female Bond, but those did not get the traction Idris Elba does.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that too
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    Plenty of snowflakes in conservative forums melted over that one, funny as hell to watch......

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Once again. The CW's Batwoman is based on a 'real' character in DC Comics. Kathy Kane began in the '50s I believe, then was given a modern interpretation. She was a Westpoint cadet, who volunteered to leave during 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'. Her comic in it's original incarnation did very well. Where the comic tanked is when DC higher ups butted in during a storyline. Kathy Kane was going to marry her girlfriend which got great press, but the higher ups decided that no DC characters ( homosexual or not ) would be married. This would help lead to the popular creators leaving and basically hamstringing a pretty well received book.

But CW's Batwoman is not some SJW whatever. It's an established character that creators made successful, enough to get the attention of the Arrow producers to want to make.
    Remember the initial melting was with Idris Elba as Heimdall in the first Thor. Because a mythological god..

A roll that Elba made pretty popular and stretched over a few Marvel films.

Diversity is a snowflake's heat lamp it seems.

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Maybe not in the comics, but that did not stop the CW ( Creators of more SJW stuff like Super Girl ) from adding its own feminist tropes like "I'm not about to let a man take credit for a woman's work" Even though she uses the credibility and all of Bat Mans stuff to become Bat Woman. Implying the suit won't be perfection, unless it fits a woman. Usual feminist man bashing.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Not sure any of that matters. I gave up on the MCU because you have to know every little detail about every movie they have ever made, except GotG, but they are integrating them into the morass as well. :(

So far DC still makes somewhat standalone movies that you don't need a guide to know whats going on. Liked Wonderwoman and Aquaman.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaaay too much into it. The story necessitates using Batman's stuff, because he's been missing, possibly bailed for 3 years. On the other side of what has helped make Supergirl, and possibly Batwoman successful is promoting messages of empowerment. In both cases they are female characters trying to escape from under the shadow of previously established male heroes who aren't present ( Superman is gone again in the Supergirl ), but are still given credit by association for the women's work.

That last "implication" you're going with, you're on your own with that one.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Wow you are triggered. You're reading into this what your own preconceived biases are making you read.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

You see it as empowerment. I see it as belittleing already humble people who made great sacrifices, in an effort to make themselves look better. Not very super hero like to me.
    Yet, all of that is right in the Bat Woman trailer itself.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I don't recall either character ever bashing their male counterparts. The same with other iterations of popular characters who are very very popular like Ms. Marvel & Miles Morales. They've all had the same motivations, to be seen as their own characters & not some shadow, while furthering the legacies of the heroes they follow. It's always been done with respect by the companies so as to not hurt their franchises.

Interestingly no one has ever whined about Wonder Girl ( Donna Troy/Cassie Sandmark ) as belittling Wonder Woman. Hmmm.... I wonder why that is? Heh, in the Titans show, Dick goes out of his way to belittle Batman, with the phrase F- Batman, as a selling point for the show. No complaints there it seems. Just the existence of Batwoman it seems... :cool:

Also, I don't see it. It's what the producers of the show, it's what DC Comics, it's what Warner Bros the parent company sees and calls it. It's kind of their mandate for the shows existing.

Enhancing a character does NOT mean it is done at the expense of others. No good editor would ever allow that.

Not unless you've read some works I haven't where the characters did somehow get belittled, I'd appreciate you linking to them. The only belittling of the likes of Batman & Superman that's ever occurred is in their own films or productions where neither Batwoman or Supergirls were involved.

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Belittling who exactly, Bruce Wayne? You understand these are fictional characters right?

23. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Also, these characters who are going to be gay in the movies are like that in the comic books as well. It's not like they're forcing them.