Key Initiative Of 'No Child' Under Federal Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 23, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

And people wonder why there are conspiracy theorists.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Dang, I was hoping that someone was actually looking at the piece of crap legislation that NCLB is. If this investigation however stops NCLB I am all for it. I can't say this surprises me though as the education system and money mismanagement/wrongdoing go hand-in-hand.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

What a surprise. Another Bush administration failure due to cronyism and greed. :rolleyes:

This man's evil effects on our country will be felt for years to come. He has damaged our reputation and country beyond any reasonable expectations.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow. really? doesnt surprise me at all.
    NCLB Act is a joke. its made the education system worse for many imo.

6. Queso macrumors G4

This is coming to light within Bush's term (thanks to the sheer blatancy of how they practice it), but this sort of thing has been slowly rotting America from the inside for decades. I take it I'm not the only one seeing a gradual groundswell of anger building up, which is hopefully going to manifest itself in various ways across the country. If we're lucky we're going to start seeing real change in the US to reform a system which has become corrupted by it's own complacency. Time for the Old Guard to be moved on.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If I had a nickel for every time some Republican said that free enterprise would make America great and that all government involvement would do is tear it down, I'd be richer than Warren Buffet.

I hope we can see now, after the Bush administration's cronyism and sneaky deals, that all lack of government oversight and involvement does is set us up to be used by amoral people to get rich (or richer).

Government can't and shouldn't do everything. But it also can't blindly hand over food inspection to the food companies, nation-building to the oil companies, and, apparently, education to the book publishers.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Just one more reason that the Federal government shouldn't even be involved in education. It's a state and local government issue. what ever happened to the getting rid of the Department of Education initiative?

9. Queso macrumors G4

In principle I agree it should be managed at state level, but the big flaw there is if a state is strapped for cash because something unexpected comes up, could they deliberately set the education standards slightly lower for a few years to save on the costs involved. I know that sounds ridiculous, but when politicians are involved the ridiculous has a habit of becoming reality.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, it's just one more reason you shouldn't let people who hate government run government.

If you were an Exxon-Mobile stockholder, would you vote to install a radical environmentalist as it's CEO? No? Then why would you vote for a guy who hates government as the government's CEO?

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

NCLB should be dropped and fast. All it does is bring down the education of those who actually want to learn. What ever happened to, you failed because you were lazy and didn't study!? Oh right, the philosophy of everyone being treated equally has transformed into everyone is the same.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And isn't it ironic that it's a Republican administration and Congress that enacted this law? :rolleyes:

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It makes it worse for everyone. The whole point is to get people to join Private Schools, (notice how the increasingly high standards given to the public schools are not applied to the private schools)

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yep, that's when dems were still heeding bush's calls for bipartisanship.

now don't mind me while i sit back, sip a drink, and enjoy the irony that they're now being blamed for it.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is exactly what they want you to think. NCLB is a bureaucratic nightmare, worse than most of what they Dems come up with. And yet the Reps are the ones who created it, suckered a couple of the Dems into thinking it would play out well, then use it to show you how badly gov works. Sure, makes perfect sense to me.

Privatization was great for Walter Reed too wasn't it.