Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Hi folks...

I just received and set up my new iMac 24" and lemme just say the screen is...well....HUGE!! (it's great)

BUT....I have the wired keyboard and the keyboard cable is too short for where I want the keyboard to go. It's only about 1-2 feet short....so it's not like I want to stretch it across the room or anything!!

I checked the apple store but they apparently don't have any white extension cables. Any suggestions?? (don't say wireless because I want the USB ports and I also don't want the 3-5 week wait!!)

Thanks...

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

KatmanDu

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
NE Georgia
You should be able to get USB extension cables at most any electronics retailer... I don't know if using an extension would cause problems with the keyboard due to the distance, but I've used them on about anything you can think of that's USB and haven't run into any issues. Except that USB rocket launcher toy; haven't gotten one of them yet. :D

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
You should be able to get USB extension cables at most any electronics retailer... I don't know if using an extension would cause problems with the keyboard due to the distance, but I've used them on about anything you can think of that's USB and haven't run into any issues. Except that USB rocket launcher toy; haven't gotten one of them yet. :D

most flash drives come with a extension cable?

can u measure how long the keyboard cable is? from keyboard to usb?

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It is. That's why I use USB Hub (Kensington 4-Port), acts like an Extender.

The Mighty Mouse is even shorter. I gave it to my brother with my old 17" 2.0GHz iMac and it just made it.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Don't the keyboards come with extenders anymore?
The iMac does not include an extender for the keyboard. I had the same problem as the OP so I went down to Fry's. They had several USB extensions available in white and black. I grabbed a 6 foot white one for $9.99. It works great and solved my short keyboard cord problem. Be advised most consumer electronics retailers seem to charge exorbitant prices for cables. I searched several stores including Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, and Circuit City and they all averaged $25-$30 for the same cable. Fry's is always more reasonable on computer accessories and has a greater selection.

HTH

viper11885

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
It is weird that the iMac doesn't include the usb extender.

I bought the new keyboard separately and it included an extender.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I forgot to mention this is why I picked up the Bluetooth Keyboard (my brother is using it now) when I had the 17".

I wanted the New BT but Yorkdale won't be getting them in until September.

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus
I picked up an extension at Staples but I got a black one. Why would you want white that will clash with the grey? I think black is the accessory color for the new imacs. Thats why I got a MX Revolution.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
The iMac does not include an extender for the keyboard. I had the same problem as the OP so I went down to Fry's. They had several USB extensions available in white and black. I grabbed a 6 foot white one for $9.99. It works great and solved my short keyboard cord problem. Be advised most consumer electronics retailers seem to charge exorbitant prices for cables. I searched several stores including Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, and Circuit City and they all averaged $25-$30 for the same cable. Fry's is always more reasonable on computer accessories and has a greater selection.

HTH

Thanks for the info. As I see it, I can either go to the Apple store and complain that the replacement keyboard comes with an extension and that they ought to give me one for free OR go to Frys.

Frys is a 15 minute drive, the Apple store is 40 minutes plus parking nightmares. I think I'll pay a visit to Frys and not worry about it.:D

JimmyD

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Why would Apple put an extender in the separate sale box, which they do cause I got one; and not put an extender in the iMax box... makes very little to no sense... :confused:

Because they don't know what you are going to use the separately-bought keyboard for--could be a Mac Pro, could be an iMac, could be whatever, and they can't be certain whether the standard cable is long enough. But when you get an iMac and the keyboard comes included, it's pretty certain that you're going to be using it on an iMac. And since the cable is long enough for 99% of people who use an iMac, they probably don't see any reason (nor do I) to include an extension cable ... and if you really need one, you can buy one. :)

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Because they don't know what you are going to use the separately-bought keyboard for--could be a Mac Pro, could be an iMac, could be whatever, and they can't be certain whether the standard cable is long enough. But when you get an iMac and the keyboard comes included, it's pretty certain that you're going to be using it on an iMac. And since the cable is long enough for 99% of people who use an iMac, they probably don't see any reason (nor do I) to include an extension cable ... and if you really need one, you can buy one. :)

Well, therein lies part of the problem! A 24" iMac display needs to be sitting at the back edge of the desk or else you wind up feeling like you're sitting in the very front row at the movies!!

The cord on the supplied keyboard won't let you push the display back to a (IMO) reasonable distance. If you push the display back, the keyboard winds up being about a foot further away from you than is comfortable.

My iMac is on a regular size office desk which has a slide-out keyboard ledge underneath. I need the extension so the keyboard can be on the keyboard ledge with the cable going under the desktop, and come at the iMac from the BACK of the desk. No biggie....I just didn't know if Apple was using some kind of proprietary cable . Apparently they don't, so I'll just get a white extension USB cable and go from there.

JimmyD

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I guess Apple didn't want users to have this set up... j/k LOL

imackeyboard_4_20070807.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.