Keyboard, Mouse, Flat Screen Monitor for MacBook Pro Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DC3400, Jan 18, 2009.

1. DC3400 macrumors newbie

Looking for advice for adding the following items to a new MacBook Pro Unibody 15.4 for when its home:

1. Keyboard
    2. Mouse
    3. Flat Screen

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, Apple LED Cinema Display.

Or you could tell us your budget, what you need/want, and what you like.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Actually, if they're using it as a desktop, I'd prefer the wired keyboard, since it has the numeric keypad as a separate set of keys.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I would go wired as well. Also don't have to replace batteries;)

5. jaxn macrumors newbie

My setup

I use the Apple keyboard & mouse (wired) with a Samsung Syncmaster 2493. I am thinking about getting a second 2493 at some point.

6. Thomasthetug macrumors newbie

Well i would prefer wireless in my eyes, since i have all wireless, it would be a good idea since you will still have a usb and if its not at the desk all the time then you dont have to replace the batterys often.

7. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

1. The Apple Keyboard is pretty awesome. Second the wired one. Cheaper, more keys, no batteries, and it's got 2 unpowered USB ports on it. See #2 below.

2. If you've never used a Mighty Mouse before, I would recommend trying it out before buying it. I've had some major issues with the Wireless Mighty Mouse on both ergonomic and technological reasons. It's not particularly comfortable to use, the ball clogs really easily, it's incredibly laggy, it doesn't slide along as smoothly as other mice I've used (there's noticeable resistance vs. Microsoft and Logitech mouses), and I had non-stop issues with left-right recognition (where it doesn't matter how or where I click the mouse, all it recognizes now is a right click. At this point, my WMM is a paperweight)

I love Logitech mouses. Get a VX Revolution and plug the RF adapter into the Apple Keyboard USB slot. It's hidden out of view and gives you great reception. Microsoft mouses aren't bad either.

3. If you want a really high quality screen, built-in speakers, built in iSight, and mini-DisplayPort, go with the 24" MacBook Cinema Display. If you really don't care about the extras and just want a quality screen, Dell Ultrasharp. Every few months, some great deals come along at Dell and you can grab one for a ridiculous price. It's back to $689 now, but just last week Dell had the 24" Ultrasharp 2408FPW on sale for $490.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've just turned my MBP into a "Desktop" last Friday. I was at the apple store checking out the new LED Cinema Display. I loved it, best monitor I've ever seen, but it's $999 (899 with my student discount). Not within my student budget.

Later that day I was driving by a FutureShop (same thing as Best Buy in Canada), and I found a Samsung T240 24inch panel for $349, so I picked it up. Colors might not be as good as the LED Cinema, it's not LED, and it doesn't charge my MBP, and no speakers, but it must be the second best looking display I've seen, the casing is very beautiful, and it's got 1920x1200 resolution. And an HDMI port so I can use it as a TV. Oh, and did I mention the screen surface is matte? (There was another 24inch Samsung display for $299, but it had an ugly case, and no HDMI)

I really don't like the Apple mighty mouse, so I use my Logitech VX Revolution mouse I had from before. And a temporary **** keyboard that I will be replacing with the wired Apple keyboard tomorrow. Both the mouse receiver and the keyboard are plugged into the USB hub that is built into my new monitor (just like the LED Cinema display), so to transform it into a desktop I just need to plug in 1 USB cable and my mini-displayport to DVI adapter. And with the money I saved I can buy another MagSage power adapter for home use, so I have the other one in the school bag.

So if you can afford the LED Cinema Display, go for it. I would still consider it money well spent. But if you're on a lower budget, I recommend you check out some Samsung and Dell monitors.

By the way, once you go 1920x1200, there no going back.

9. DC3400 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple Wired keyboard
    Logitech MX Revolution (Connect into Apple keyboard)
    Dell 24"

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Also, note that I believe it's impossible to both right and left click at the same time with the Mighty Mouse. And if it's possible, then I definitely don't think it'd be suitable for what right and left click is mostly used in (games). I haven't been able to get it to work with my wireless Mighty Mouse.

12. clat22 macrumors newbie

I just picked up the T260 on ebay today. How are you planning on watching TV on this thing, I don't think it has any speakers. I'm just curious what you were planning on doing for sound.

Any info you have to offer is greatly appreciated.