Keyboard suggestions - similar to Matias Tactile Pro, but quieter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theSeb, May 18, 2012.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've the latest version of the Matias Tactile Pro with a UK layout and I love it. Unfortunately my wife does not share my passion for it. She complains that it's too loud and she can hear it from downstairs. I love the mechanical feel, the sound and the fact that I have all of the possible symbols printed right on the keyboard, like †, ≤ and Ê.

Is there something similar available that is quieter? I've tried the Apple wired keyboard and we just don't get on. The angle and lack of key travel just does not do it for me.

I can still continue my clickety-clack love affair at my office, but I need something quieter for home.

2. oddsratio macrumors newbie

If you want to stick with mechanical, you should look for keyboards with cherry mx brown or red switches. However, they still do make some noise if you're a fast typer, because the keys clack down on to the metal plate. The switches themselves don't make any noise, though, compared to those in the matias (which is close to mx blue in sound).

Here's a comparison video between the different switches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzX0MnVzEAU

If you want it to be completely quiet, then you'll be stuck with scissor switches (like the mac) or rubber dome (like every keyboard you encounter in a public terminal), but there are some good options.