Keynote Streams

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
1,070
0
BKLN
can anyone brief me as to whether Schiller says anything of importance - there was such a lack of news around this, I'm guessing he didn't!
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by gotohamish
can anyone brief me as to whether Schiller says anything of importance - there was such a lack of news around this, I'm guessing he didn't!
Depends on what you consider important. ;)

For people in the design/print industry, to which Seybold caters, there were some very interesting things.

He covered:
Quartz Extreme, Quicktime6, PDF, Fonts, Printing, Rendezvous...

It's about an hour long and has some interesting demos. :)
 

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
It's not working for me... when I click the button, Quicktime opens up, and it looks as if it's working fine. Then, it gets stuck on "Requested Data" for a while, and just says "504: Timed Out". Anyone else having this problem?




irmongoose
 

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Originally posted by irmongoose
It's not working for me... when I click the button, Quicktime opens up, and it looks as if it's working fine. Then, it gets stuck on "Requested Data" for a while, and just says "504: Timed Out". Anyone else having this problem?
Same here ...

Probably a "Slashdot-effect" which got lost somewhere on the internet and ended up bugging us at MacRumors :D :D :D
 

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
42
0
Originally posted by irmongoose
It's not working for me... when I click the button, Quicktime opens up, and it looks as if it's working fine. Then, it gets stuck on "Requested Data" for a while, and just says "504: Timed Out". Anyone else having this problem?
I've had this problem before, my Airport network wouldn't stream anything QT and always time out. I used to think it was a clogged network with too many people trying to access the stream, but then I found a solution on one of the web forums - try changing your transport settings in Quicktime system prefs. Under Connection, click Transport Setup and change the popup to "HTTP" instead of "UDP". That fixed it, it appears that older Airport networks (and some office networks, too) don't support UDP streaming.
 

welborn

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2002
29
0
Cambridge, MA
This is a great service

I think the guys at mac-tv.de have the right idea. It's a great service for them to provide. I don't know the legality issues, whether they have the rights to broadcast such a thing, but I would hope Apple wouldn't sue them or anything.

And -- heck, $2.50 for the bandwidth? No problem. I'm an Apple freak, and I know it. I paid $65 for 10.2 (my company has a discount w/Apple), I paid for QT6 and dot-Mac -- I can afford another $2.50 to see Steve again.

Micropayments are the wave of the future. :)
 

welborn

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2002
29
0
Cambridge, MA
Oh yeah...

Two suggestions though:
- I'd like to be able to download it and watch it offline.
- I wish they'd used Akamai or something to make the stream reliable.
 

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
Paying $2.50 for using the bandwith?
you must be out of your mind.
hahaha........
Really i had to laugh REAL loud when i read that.
Not in 100 million years.
 

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
408
0
Anyone know where Ic an score that cool Quartz-Extreme speedometer?? That looks really cool, i'd like to see where my system stacks up... :D
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by shadowfax0
Anyone know where Ic an score that cool Quartz-Extreme speedometer?? That looks really cool, i'd like to see where my system stacks up... :D
I was wondering that same thing...;)
 

welborn

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2002
29
0
Cambridge, MA
Bandwidth

You realize, of course, that bandwidth costs money, right? Apple pays Akamai a lot of money to broadcast the two yearly American expo keynote. They do it for public relations and advertising benefits.

Mac-TV.de, however, is providing a service: the chance for Mac geeks like us to see the Paris Expo Keynote. They probably won't make enough money off ads for this (since the site is in German and most of their customers will be in the US), and the video file is 300MB total, which will cause a huge bump in the bandwidth costs for a small site like mac-tv.de.

If you don't think it's worth $2.50, then don't pay it and don't watch it. To me, it was worth it, especially since I could pay with paypal.
 

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
81
0
San Francisco
New Newton

Someone on MacOSrumors wrote in to say they think they heard schillar say "on the NewNewton." no time to watch now. But, hmmm, nonetheless. MOM
 

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
835
1
is there any way to save a quicktime stream, using quicktime pro or other software?
 

yankeedoodle

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
22
0
New Newton?

Listen carefully to what Phil Schiller says about "Inkwell" (at about 32:00): he talks about this handwriting recognition technology that came from the "new -- err -- Newton". Phil is obviously embarassed -- and pauses for the fraction of a second. Just a harmless problem after talking for half an hour or is this a hint to a "New Newton" (or a new newton-like product)? Decide by yourselves!
 

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
331
0
Texas
I just get a bad echo in the audio and no video.. i'm on 1.5mb download cable modem..

not sure why this isn't playing right. anyone else having problems? (the mpeg 4 stream from apple)
 

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
123
0
NYC
grrrr...

I'm getting the endless "getting info" and the blue K.I.T. graphic...

supposedly in the 33rd minute he slips and says new newton...

I haven't seen it for myself yet though. Reported at Mac OS rumors.

Also reported that the macs released in the ne year will have Hypertransport and Rapid I/O.
 

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
123
0
NYC
wait a second...

I just realized... if you start to say NEWTON... But pause in the middle "new" and then say it... you've said NEW(PAUSE) NEWTON... when all you really meant to say was NEWTON...

this is how wild rumors get started...
 

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,502
1,784
Re: New Newton?

Originally posted by yankeedoodle
Listen carefully to what Phil Schiller says about "Inkwell" (at about 32:00): he talks about this handwriting recognition technology that came from the "new -- err -- Newton". Phil is obviously embarassed -- and pauses for the fraction of a second. Just a harmless problem after talking for half an hour or is this a hint to a "New Newton" (or a new newton-like product)? Decide by yourselves!
he simply stuttered

arn
 

yankeedoodle

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
22
0
Re: wait a second...

Originally posted by chubakka
I just realized... if you start to say NEWTON... But pause in the middle "new" and then say it... you've said NEW(PAUSE) NEWTON... when all you really meant to say was NEWTON...

this is how wild rumors get started...
Sure, this could all be another wild rumor thing about a badly timed pause in Phil's speech. But, on the other hand, I still think that this is an interesting thing. What are the odds that you make a pause between the syllables "New" and "ton" in the word "Newton" in a one-hour speech? Really interesting... Or in fact a Freudian slip?

However, I don't wanna start a new rumor here about a "New Newton" -- we had way enough disappointing rumors about an Apple branded PDA in the past; I just say go and listen to that file -- and then make up your own opinion about it.
 

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,502
1,784
Re: Re: wait a second...

Originally posted by yankeedoodle

However, I don't wanna start a new rumor here about a "New Newton" -- we had way enough disappointing rumors about an Apple branded PDA in the past; I just say go and listen to that file -- and then make up your own opinion about it.
He also mentions something called "Audi Audio" at 31:00

It must be a crazy new thing that Apple's invented. (sarcasm)

arn
 

123

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2002
358
143
Re: Re: Re: wait a second...

Originally posted by arn


He also mentions something called "Audi Audio" at 31:00

[...]


Well, we all know about Volkswagen's plans to takeover Apple. Just another hint that this will happen sooner than expected. Forget Quartz Extreme, Core Audio etc., say hello to Skoda Video and Audi Audio.
 

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
331
0
Texas
could he have perhaps been saying something about a "new" device when he realized his mistake and then just said "newton"..

like, "Inkwell comes from the new..... [err].... Newton..."

I don't have access here at work to listen to it, but I'm just supposing..


D