Kicked out because of politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Sep 12, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Long story short, I was actually kicked out of my parents house because I attended a pro-choice/ anti-war rally with some of the people I go to college with! The really ironic thing is that I come from one of those ultra-conservative/ ultra-religious families. Who "promote family values" and morality but they have no problem telling their 1st born son that he is going to hell and that he hates this country!

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Wow, for real? That's just sick.

What are you doing now?

Best of luck to you, by the way.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

My mom told me I couldn't be a Christian and a Democrat a couple months ago. Not sure if she would have kicked me out though...

Stay true to what you believe. I hope they see their error soon and good luck to you!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's pretty weak that they have so little faith in their own views that the only way that they see to promote them is punishment.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow, that's pretty damn harsh.

It's small consolation, I know, but even other conservatives will view what your parents are doing as wrong.

I hope your parents get the help they need. I'm not being sarcastic. That's just not normal, or anywhere close to it.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

How do you feel about that? I would be curious to know. I admire you for having enough conviction to develop your own views about important life issues. I would encourage you to hold fast to your own opinions, but look for ways to repair your family relationships. It is hard to do with very narrow-minded people, I know.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

9. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

His profile says 18. But it doesn't matter, that's a terrible reason to kick your own child out

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I would really prefer to hear the long story.

At this point, I have to assume that your parents are making a decent point: if you are adult enough to not bother listening to what they have to say (honor thy father and mother, etc.), then you are adult enough to either pay rent or live on your own.

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

ham_man: How does going to a political rally that conflicts with one's parents' political views constitute dishonoring one's parents? Nothing suggests that halfprep was mistreating his parents or their hospitality.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yeah, what a load of BS.

14. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I never really argued with them much at all. We usually dont ever mention things such as politics because we know that we will get into an argument. Right now I am staying at my mom and step dads house(my dad and step moms house is the one I got kicked out of). The only problem with where I am staying is that it is almost an hour and a half from my college and work and thats with no traffic.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm sorry for your situation and hope that I will be man enough to support my boys regardless of where life takes them when they grow up in politics, religion, sexual orientation, ... (Only 10 more years to go before the older one is 16!)

Amazing how divorce has permeated society to the extent that even ultra-conservative, family-value types don't seem to think it's an issue. :rolleyes:

B

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I assume you are joking. If not, you would really challenge my adherence to the MR posting rules.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You live in a sick and twisted world if your truly believe what you just wrote.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am with you on the long story.

It is safe to assume that it is not just the anti-war rally that cause this. It was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

It is clear from the post tension have been high for a long time. Reason being is having 2 huge politic difference just cause a lot of tenision.

It is also clear that the OP values do not line up with his parents and are very different. That much is crystal clear to me. My parents and I never talk about politics but the few times we have I noticed that I hold very similar views to my parents because I have the same value system.

I know there is a lot more to this story that he is not telling us and it clear the OP has been part of the problem as well.

Lastly something to remember as long as the parents pay the bills they make the rules.

19. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I agree with this to some extent, but to make a rule that you can't have an alternate view on some issues? Seems a little extreme to me.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why do I think if the OP was a conservative, religious republican kicked out of his atheist, liberal parents' house, you would have never said that?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS! I got cut off because I'm gay when I was 19. This isn't that different. What his values are have nothing to do with the fact that he's their kid. If there is more to the story, then shame on him for not telling us. But you shouldn't kick an 18 year old out of the house because you don't like their beliefs, period. It seems the other pair of parents don't have a problem with him staying with them, so that should tell you something as well.

Lastly, whether or not the parents are paying the bills doesn't give them the right to dictate their child's beliefs.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I like Lee's reply.

But the first thing that came to mind when I read those words, while may be a very slight minority, can not be ignored-- what if the parents, who pay the bills and make the rules, are abusive? Guess those rules still stand then? Since they, you know, pay the bills.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am sorry that you are so bitter about your past but you need to see that there is a lot more to this than he telling us. Most case I seen and heard about like this when looking into it farther I have almost always found that tension where high before hand and where reaching a breaking point.
    Now I may not agree with the parents actions but there is a hell of a lot more to it that we are being told.

As for you cause as I wrote before you values and your parents values did not line up at all and that lead to them cutting you off. Now I do not agree with your parents actions but I see the reasoning. Their value did not line up with yours.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Doesn't the "my house my rules" only really apply if the person is under 18.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah that is a different case but in most case my statement holds true. Mine you with abuse parents it sucks but it is true in some ways that you can choose to put up with the abuse and keep the money or leave and live with out it and pay your own bills. It would be the case at age 18 if the state got involved.

But you do understand the point of staying. For a vast majority of cases (non abusive) the parent pay the bills so the parents make the rules. Take it or leave it.

Not really. As along as the parents are supporting their kid they make the rules. I am 24 years old and still have to following my parents rules and request because guess who is supporting me and paying all my bills while I finish up my degree. Yep you guess it. If I pissed them off enough they would cut me off and I would be on my own.