Kid jumps from bridge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Acorn, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I heard about something that was on the news the other night. I heard through someone else so it might not be 100% accurate but I will try and explain as I understand it.

There was two kids that shared a room at college. one of the kids asked the roommate to leave because he wanted some privacy. so the other roommate turned his desktop cam on and left. then took his laptop and left. He began to watch through his desktop cam as the roommate came back with another guy and had sex with him. while the cam was on and the roommate was watching.

A few days later the same thing happened. he asked for privacy. so the guy repeated what he did and turned the cam on and left. this time invited several friends to watch what was going on in the cam. The guy came back and again started having sex with an older guy and at some point figured out the camera was on and realized any number of people could be watching and apparently there was a few.

he was so embarrassed by it that he jumped off a bridge and killed himself.

Now the guy that kept turning on the cam is in a world of crap and may go to jail. but they are arguing he did no wrong doing by turning on the cam and should go free. but on the other hand it was kinda his fault the kid ended up killing himself so im not sure letting him go is the answer either.

should they let him go? he is 18 I think.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Hell no..... How would he feel if it was the other way around( having sex with a guy or woman) where his roommate turned on his cam after he asked him for some privacy? What caused him to turn the camera on anyway?

While I am not sure what law pertains to this case, the parents should sue the kid so far into debt that his kids will still be paying off the family......

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well I don't think he should just be "let go", I don't really know if what he did was criminal.

4. niuniu, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    There was a very similar case a couple of years ago..

No idea how it turned out, but it's obvious in this case that he at least intended to cause some harm by the repeated recordings of private sexual material and making it public.

Not just any sexual material, it's clearly highly sensitive material, objectively.

I would like to see him sentenced and made an example of.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

The way I see it is as soon as the kid gave the other kid the right to privacy in his room, anything such as cameras infringes on that right. As soon as you give your roommate the right to privacy, it's as if that kid has his own room for the time the other roommate gives him permission to privacy, and should be treated as though a kid planted a camera into someone's house, infringing on their right.

The fact that the other kid also had friends watching also makes the situation even more complicated.

The kid probably isn't going to get charged with murder or anything TOO serious, but is going to get some time I think. What an *******.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it's hard to proof that the other guy gave the kid the right to privacy. They share a room, hence there is no real privacy. The other guy could say that he used the camera to monitor the room because he suspected the kid of stealing or using his stuff for instance. Of course, that doesn't give him the right to ask his friends to watch it for the second time but we aren't talking about a huge crime here.

Jumping off the bridge sounds like a stupid idea anyway. The kid should have just changed college and it would have been fine. If he had played his cards well, he could have made a nice money from damages.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The kid owns the room and is well within his rights to have surveillance of the room in place. I think where he will be in trouble is that he broadcasted it to others. Either way he shouldn't be responsible for the death in any way.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That would be a good defense if he immediately stopped watching his roommate having sex after realizing he wasn't stealing or messing with his stuff, etc. It also doesn't justify why he did it again and had friends watch it for the second time.

He needs to be held liable. Either criminally or civilly( parents suing). He needs to learn a lesson.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think this is the same one, it's just now going to trial. At least I'm assuming this is the story the thread is about

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds exactly what the OP is talking about. I haven't heard of anything else like this recently.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah I think you're right, this is the 2010 case.. took long enough to get to trial

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I don't believe the kid who taped it should get too much punishment ... it was a stupid prank that resulted in a very bad decision on the part of the kid who was taped.

I am sure the guy taping it never thought the other kid would kill himself ... he is most likely feeling very remorseful and wishes he never did what he did.

I would sentence him to community service working on some anti-bullying education stuff

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

According to the link provided, a plea deal would have done exactly that( though not sure on the anti-bullying part). If he accepted, no jail and about 600 hours of community service. He rejected the deal and now faces jail.

14. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

since he rejected the plea it shows he wants to take no responsibility for it whatsoever. regardless if he meant it or not, what happened was a direct result of his actions and he should take some responsibility for it. I doubt he is remorseful in any way.

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I think he should be punished for recording his roommate without permission but that's about it. I doubt he expected the other guy to kill himself over a prank.

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

he is going to jail anyways now so he will be punished anyways.

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I highly recommend this article from the New Yorker. It's a lengthy read, but it does a really good job of laying out the background of the situation and getting into the individuals themselves.

He's been charged with invasion of privacy (sex crimes), bias intimidation (basically hate crimes), witness tampering, and evidence tampering.

:confused: This is a joke, right? For one thing, they're roommates. The university owns the room, not either of these individuals. And even if someone owns a space, that doesn't necessarily give them the right to record what happens there. Using your logic, hotels should be allowed to install cameras in all of their rooms...

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You do realize that the 'mirror' is bolted to the wall for a reason. :eek:

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The tenants of the university pay rent and are residents of the room. Extremely different than an overnight hotel stay (which could run surveillance also as long as it was made known to customers). I ran 24 hour surveillance on my dorm room as often other floor mates would steal stuff. I think this kid will get off with no charges, he already could have got off with some community service (rightfully so).

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I hope this was when you lived in the States? ;)

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is the OP serious? How could anyone not know about this case?

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I've seen students write their names on food, but never camera recording :p

Really it will boil down to the intent in much of this case. Was he recording to see who stole his biscuits? Or was he recording to see a guy have sex with an older man for the amusement of his buddies. The latter, and he knew it would cause distress.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ok, but as soon as you realized the reason why he wanted privacy was to have sex, would you continue to watch? And then when he did it the second time, would you invite friends to watch?

No one is arguing necessarily against him making sure the roommate wasn't stealing anything, etc. But, the fact he continued to watch and invited friends to watch his roommate having sex. That is where he could be held criminally liable.

How would you feel if your roommate was watching you having sex and invited his friends to watch?

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I stated he was at fault for showing it to third parties in my first post, but that doesn't mean he is responsible for the death. I don't know how he was supposed to know the first time what his roommate wanted privacy for, the second time was a lapse of judgement to show to other people. Lastly when I was in the dorms there was an unspoken rule to go to the girls place as to not inconvenience the other roommate.

I probably wouldn't have cared that much, I lived in a house with 8 roommates for most of my college time. Break ins and general ruining of each others "good time" was normal.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS. Please read. We've been over this before. Ravi was an ass. Read the whole thing.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/02/06/120206fa_fact_parker