Kill apps as they exit without jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mugambo, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I get easily distracted from my work seeing other backgrounding apps.
    How to enable killing apps as they're closed or exited from?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot without jailbreaking.
    The iOS manages exiting and closing apps when its needed.
    You don't need to do that manually.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Self control is one of the most important lessons in life....

4. BoostDeuce macrumors member

i wanted to play some megapolis on my phone but wasn't sure if it was running in the background and I didn't want it hurting battery life, so I just deleted it.

That was one thing nice about android. Force Stopping apps from running, and being able to see whats running in the background

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Stop opening the multitasking bar, you won't see backgrounded apps.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

That's kind of an ironic statement. As someone who used Android for quite a while it's Android that will actually allow apps to continue running insanely in the background and kill your battery. You can manage a lot of it but it can be a pain. I remember for a time Facebook was a battery killer; if you didn't force close it every time it would run incessantly and wipe your battery.

Never had that problem with iOS; it's very good at managing background apps and ensuring that things aren't running in the background when they shouldn't. One of the reasons I ultimately prefer Apple to Android.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It is technically possible. You'll need to backup your phone with itunes, edit the model specific features plist within the backup (such as N82AP.plist) and set multitasking to False.

You'll then need to restore the backup back onto your phone. You will lose *all* multitasking ability by doing this though (like an iPhone 3G).

8. BoostDeuce macrumors member

As someone who used android for quite a while, the first thing i'd do when I got my phone was stop all of the apps from syncing in the background. Pretty simple.

All I can do on IOS is turn them off in the notification center. I don't know if its running in the background or not.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you even know how to use your phone? That's like saying you hooked up your PS3 to your TV but wasn't sure what input it was on so you threw it in the trash.

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Your lack of understanding means you are missing out on so much.

Notification center has nothing to do with apps running in the background, feel free to leave it on. :)

iOS manages itself very well, and the only time you should think about "fully closing" an app is if it is not working as it should be. The rest of the time, you don't even have to think about such things.

I have about 50+ apps in my "multi-tasking draw" and I get great performance and battery life. You might want to read this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html

11. BoostDeuce macrumors member

that's not really even close to a comparison....

I download an app on my phone and don't want it running in the background, using my battery, so I just don't use an app that could be doing that. My iphone doesn't let me see what apps are running because the operating system is so simplistic.

I plug in a playstation, knowing I can turn it on and off and have a way of seeing that (power light) and know that is fully off and not being used.

on an android phone, you can go to the application menu and see what apps are running, how much battery they have used, how long they have been running, how much data is being used, etc.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So much wrong. Please see my post above.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Still sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If you are that concerned it might be running simply double-press home, long-press the apps icon, tap the ""-" and it's killed.

Mike

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Look, you and the Apple engineers clearly don't understand how it works and why Android is better, m'kay?

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, swing and a miss... might want to try that one again.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Why they distract? playing background songs? do popups?

Am going to trust Apple that any one app won't eat up your battery because thats what their reviewing process does, not give you a bad experience.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The multitasker in iOS is God awful, in terms of UI. I get a lovely list of the last few DOZEN apps I have opened. Yes, that's useful...

But I don't understand how it is distracting. Unless the app is streaming audio, or using your gps, it isn't really "running", but in a frozen state, as has been mentioned. Furthermore, you don't need to load the app from the multitasking tray to go back to where you left off. Everything that I use frequently is on my home screen. I use that to switch between apps, unless I am frequently switching between the same 2-3 apps, in which case multitasker tray does an ok job.

In any case, play megopolis to your heart's content. It's not draining your battery or using resources. There are pros and cons to the way Android and iOS do their multitasking. Neither is best in all scenarios.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

If they distract you from your work, why not turn off the phone and put it in the drawer so you can do the work you are being paid to do?