Killer Feature in iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zemaker, Sep 13, 2012.

1. zemaker macrumors regular

Have to vent a bit: I had real high hopes there would be a new "killer feature" for the new iPhone 5, as it is usually a key selling point for each iteration of the phone. However there is nothing that truly sets the 5 apart from most every other smart phone out right now.

As someone who has owned every version of the iPhone, this looks to be the first skip.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

that has more to do with phone technology peeking.

3. zemaker thread starter macrumors regular

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The killer feature is Passbook. We just don't know it yet.

In time, Passbook is going to grow into a wallet-replacement (or some form of it). It is debatable about how that is going to happen, but that is the long-term goal.

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

6. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Dynamic Antenna.. That was my woot woot moment during the keynote. :)

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As cliche as it sounds, the hardware on new phones is a distant second to the more important aspect: It's the software stupid!

Look, I understand the haters hating and the fanboys scratching their heads regarding what to think about iPhone 5. But it is an evolutionary update, and that is what we're going to be getting until the Google Headset thing-a-majig becomes the norm (and actually works as advertised).

But the software is what separates a phone you like and a phone you Love. Apple has the best mobile OS and App store on the market, and as long as that is maintained then I won't be having any problems sticking with iPhone.

If you're into it, then be excited for iPhone 5 but more importantly be more excited for iOS 6, 7, 8 and so on.

8. Radiating macrumors 65816

Multiple trusted initial reports are stating that the processor in the iPhone is the Cortex-A15. The iPhone 5 is the first phone to have this processor and it is the most powerful mobile processor you can find in any phone on earth period. Depending on which configuration Apple chose it is runs at a clock speed that is 213% to 313% faster than the iPhone 4S.

The Cortex-A15 rivals dual core intel desktop processors from 2008.

This makes the phone twice as fast as the previous version. Twice. As. Fast. This is like upgrading from a laptop you bought in 2004 to a laptop you bought today. How is that not revolutionary? That's earth shattering. No smartphone has ever received a performance boost this big in a generation, from any manufacturer. No phone has a processor that's even close to as fast as this one. It's between 15% and 70% faster than the fastest phones you could get pre iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 is a quantum leap.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Good point.

10. Baytriple macrumors 6502

11. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Lighter
    Faster
    Thinner
    Better Antennas
    Dual Band 2.4GHz & 5GHz
    4" screen

that is what comes to mind without looking back.

Isnt it enough that it has a new name.... just say it with me... iPhone 5 !!!

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

13. AT101ET macrumors 6502

It's not the slimmest smartphone ever, its just the slimmest IPhone ever as explicitly said in yesterdays event.

14. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Slimmer than it's major competitors, who cares about the cheap knock offs.

Slimmer than Galaxy S3, Lumia 920, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy Note... if it's thinner than those phones than it's the thinnest smartphone.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They explicitly said that at this time it is the thinnest smartphone available...

16. blackhand1001, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

No it does not rival desktop processors from 2008. Its still not even close yet. A core 2 duo I still 5-10 times more powerful. Arm is growing fast but they still haven't even gotten past the early days of netburst performance let alone the athlon 64 and x2, and then the core 2 duo. X86 still has quite a big performance advantage.

Heres a sunspider I just ran on a few year old e machines with an athlon II x2. By no means the fastest x86 chip nor a high end machine.

http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...idate-input":[15,23,16,32,17,16,16,16,16,23]}

It gets 269.4ms. No arm chip even comes close to that. The iphone is still stuck around 1600 ms. The lower the score the better.

17. rushluvr macrumors member

First off thats false and second, why would you need such powerful processors for such a basic and boring OS that just has rows of icons sitting there? Its overkill.

18. aperry macrumors 6502a

"2x" in Apple marketing language actually translates to "feels a little snappier for most things you do".

Sorry, if this were anything close to a "quantum leap" improvement then they'd have Scott Bakula himself on stage talking about how it was actually brought back from the future and its speed cannot even be measured by our simple tools.

19. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I would have agreed...if NFC was included.

20. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Theres no confirmation of this yet. No one has torn it down and checked and they are just guessing based on numbers. In fact I have my doubts as an a15 would have been a much larger performance jump than they are claiming. Its more likely an a9 with a clock speed jump made possible by the die shrink. The numbers don't add up to what they would if it was an a15.

21. tann macrumors 68000

With the 4S the killer feature was Siri.

With the 5 you have...
    LTE
    Better battery
    Thinner & lighter
    4" screen
    Faster wifi

Then the biggest one of all... (unconfirmed but) a cortex A15 processor :eek:

22. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm actually looking forward to this myself. Having all your rewards/travel/perks/etc cards in one app would be EXTREMELY handy for someone like me as I have oodles of them.

For now. I'm sure next year another will come out thinner/lighter/blah blah blah

23. hot spare macrumors 6502

A15 on average is quoted at 40% faster than A9 at same frequency.

Cortex-A9 = 2.5 DMIPS/MHz
    Cortex A15 = 3.5 DMIPS/MHz

Going by this logic, for the SoC to be 2x faster than A5, the A6 should run at 1.4-1.5Ghz.

BTW, Qualcomm Krait has 3.3 DMIPS/MHz which is roughly equal to A15 performance. Dual-core Krait is widely used over last few months. LG is going to launch quad-core Krait with Adreno 320 this month.

24. aperry macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but none of those features is a "killer feature". Not a single one of those makes me "need" the iPhone 5, which is the way I felt about many of the previous models.

And if Siri is the benchmark for a "killer feature", then I suppose iPhone 5 owners are in for a bit of disappointment. Great dinner party trick.