Kim Jong Nam's death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Feb 15, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In your opinion who killed Kim Jong Un's half brother? Obviously two assassins, but who sent them?

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Who benefits? He was in theory a successor to Kim Jong-un, so a perceived threat.

1. Anyone who just wanted Kim Jong-nam dead and found it convenient that Kim Jong-un would likely be blamed. But, aside from very remote chance of ending up NK's ruler, what was this guy to anyone really? Maybe a sorta-spy for China but he didn't really have much access, he was an outcast from his own family. Just a wanderer in exile with a few hangouts around the world, and probably NK agents following him. He might have been useful as a puppet if someone actually dared to displace Kim Jong-un, but again, he was an outcast from family.

2. Kim Jong-un. Because,,, paranoia. In that case the dead guy's son should beware.

3. Whoever in NK thinks finally to ditch Kim Jong-un and maybe install Kim Jong-nam's son as a rightful dynastic heir. Supposedly the population is pretty brainwashed so could accept their next dear leader rising from ashes of tragedy, if the generals sold the kid in well enough.

Who picks door number three better get it all right or figure on dying a gruesome death.

I can see China tiring of Kim Jong-un but it doesn't make sense for them to kill the half-brother. Kim Jong-un would know he himself hadn't done it, and the fact that Kim Jong-nam has long been in and out of China while living in exile would make China Kim Jong-un's prime suspect.

What do you think? "What would Henry think?" LOL

The mama of the dead guy lived in Moscow after she fell out of favor in NK...

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I fall under the party of "I don't care." The entire regime needs to be wiped out and a slow rebuild of the country put in motion. That is in addition to slowly giving back rights and freedom to the people so as not to overwhelm their likely precious mental state.

4. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Now thing to do would be to re-supply the girls with fresh poisen, give them picture of Kin-Jung un, pay em several million and send them back to NK to finish of the rest of the family.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Kim Jong Donkey Kong did. The illegitimate half-ape stepbrother of Dear Leader.

Or maybe a ninja did it. But most likely an African-American ninja, because they are the coolest kind of ninjas according to Hollywood. And the most politically correct acceptable ninjas in this day and age.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    I agree, let's just nuke the entire peninsula and let their precious Allah sort them out later.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Kim Jong-Un obviously ordered his execution.

The Kim Dynasty have been bumping each other off for years.

Kim Jong-Il had his uncle shot, apparently poisoned his aunt, killed the brothers, children and grandchildren of his uncle.

Jong-Il is not at all afraid to execute people he believes betray him or the party (some of them in particularly brutal ways too), and it looks like this execution is showing he's willing to take vengeance outside the borders of the DPRK.

7. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think that what you say is quite possible... I am not sure how the other governments will react to a madman dictator killing people abroad...

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think it will wildly be ignored whilst its restrained to North Koreans.

If he starts taking out defectors en masse, or non DRPK people who are critical of the party then I think it will become messy.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    Not sure if sarcasm.....?

If not then that may be possibly the most uninformed statement I've ever read.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Maybe, but according to a WSJ article this murder is important for China. Apparently the step-brother had some political significance (mainly a barganing card), especially now with North Korea's desire to shoot at the ocean.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

He was the only family member to share Beijing's belief that DPRK should open up and have economic reform.

It seems to boil down to DPRK simply being a failed kingdom. The party believes it (or purports to believe) that its a thriving seclusionist kingdom and it spreads propaganda to that end. This murder seems to be yet another in a long line of Kim Jong Un's purge. But it has a marked difference in that its an assassination, not a faux trial with a death sentence on DRPK soil.

So it doesn't seem like the half brother was a bargaining chip as such, but had an important role if Kim Jong Un ever got dethroned or the Juche stat was to fall.

Its an absolutely crazy state, that does horrific things, but its also a fascinating one.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

12. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay