Kind of confused on Apple memory...I can't tell if I need to upgrade RAM.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Dec 6, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I'm a windows tech and in windows its easy to tell if you need more RAM or not but in Mac its a bit confusing.

I read Apples pages on how to read the ram usage in Activity Monitor but I'm still a bit confused.

Here is my situation:

I use Maya, Unity3D, and usually many other things but right now these two are open most of the time. I do get the beachballs sometimes suggesting to me to increase my RAM from 4gb to 8gb but here is where my question lies:

In activity monitor, I see 17mb of free ram. Inactive ram is usually around 850mb and there are pageouts of anywhere from 25mb to 300mb.

On Apples site I took it to mean that pageouts would occur if the system were out of ram which leads me to think that even though 850mb of ram is inactive, the system will only use it under certain conditions.

I guess to make it short and sweet should I upgrade my RAM? (Also the system I am running currently is the one in my sig.)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I already read that article thank you for the suggestion though :) I wasn't sure about the whole inactive ram and page out thing.

I thought that I needed more ram but I wasn't sure after seeing 800+ megabytes in inactive ram.