Kind of jealous of new i7 dells.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fibrizo, Sep 25, 2009.

1. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I bought my 2.26 13 mbp about 1 month ago to replace the 2.4 ghz unibody mb I had... I happened to jog over to the dell website today and configured the following.

Dell studio 15inch
    Core i7-720QM (1.6ghz, 6mb cache, turbo-boost 2.8ghz)
    4gb DDR3 1333mhz
    15.6" LED 1920x1080 (1080p) display w/ web cam
    Ati radeon 4570 with 512mb
    500gb 7200 rpm drive
    9 cell 85Whr battery
    Bluetooth, Wireless, backlit keyboard
    Slot loading DVD/CD burner
    2 usb, 1 USB/ESATA, 1 firewire
    HDMI and VGA out
    Express card slot
    3 audio jacks ( line in, line out, mic)

wt (about 6lbs with the 9 cell)
    Price 1274$

Don't get me wrong, I love the macbook pro I have. I just need apple to get cranking. I'd pay 1499 for the same combo from apple.

I want apple to take notes lol!

1. high res screen on smaller models (1920x1080 on 15 inch, can probably do a 1600x on a 13)
    2. HDMI and VGA out ( hey at least include an adapter to give us HDMI also)
    3. Core i7
    4. Give me a combined usb/ESATA port, just incase I want to transfer all my stuff, I know fire wire is pretty fast etc etc, but ESATA is what I want.

ok /rant done, now come on apple :) make me broke by making a 13 incher with a core i7, high res display, and heck maybe a discrete radeon, and an usb/ESATA and this macbook would be up on ebay and I'd be at the store in 5 mins :)

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Honestly, Windows 7 is pretty spectacular. If you do not NEED OS X, you will not miss much. I run both systems and really do not have a preference for standard use (email, web browsing, casual productivity). In fact, Firefox runs better no Windows in my opinion.

However, Pro Tools runs better and with less conflicts OS X over Windows. Final Cut Express is better than anything else in its class available for Windows. I do not have to fight my system. The trackpad on the unibody Macbook Pro is the best HUI device I have used on a portable. Makes it worth it to me. I honestly do not care what the start-up screen reads, though...

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Any "refresh" that's not quad-core is going to be a downer. We need the tech to be totally up to speed with comparable PCs.

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I'm in the same boat as you. Instead of purchasing AppleCare, I've decided to sell my MBP because a new one would be the same difference as AppleCare. Then I went to dell and see a great deal for the i7 laptop. I use windows 7 on my Dell core 2 quad and it flies, I can only imagine what i7 would be like, even if it's mobile.

I still am leaning toward the entry level mbp refurb at 1449, but it's very close. Windows 7 and i7 seems like it would be great. The inky thing holding me back is the sleekness of the mbp and iMovie. I use lightroom mainly and it's in pc and mac.

Realistically, if apple comes out with i7 laptop, it would be much more expensive than even 1449. Would have to wait 3 months before it gets to refurb for that price.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$999 for base i7 720QM on the Dell Studio is a steal. For a mobile quad at that price Apple is dead in the water. 5.54 lbs isn't that bad either.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

Im curious why quad cores are necessary for the average consumer? What is the need for anyone who isnt doing heavy video/audio/image editing? I really dont care if my laptop has quad core since i do none of those things.. more concerned with battery life and usable features that make the experience better. C2D is fast enough for todays uses... dont get me wrong, if they are continuing to use C2D the prices of the macbooks should reflect that and drop accordingly.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quad core on the desktop side fall in around $100-200 dollars now on the processor and that's well within a mainsteam desktop. Dell has been offering the Q6600/8200 in ~$500 machines for some time.

The only reason to go dual core now is if you're aiming for a sub-$500 desktop.

It has taken a lot longer for it to hit the notebook side given the thermal and power requirements. Nonethless given Dell's pricing a notebook over $1,000 is going to be sporting a quad core and if it doesn't...well I'd rather not think about that unless it's a ULV ultraportable.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Well, the average consumer does what? Any iMovie/iDVD editing or exporting? iPhoto slideshows? Garageband exporting? A quad core would be able to export and encode that video much faster than dual care. I'm sure a quad core would be able to take more advantage of grand central than a dual core. Based on your theory, why would the average consumer need even dual core? Just because the average consumer doesn't need quad core, doesn't mean quad core wouldn't help them out and many more people as well.

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Let's hope the refresh ends the envy with Quad core CPUs. I suspect the price will stay the same.

Apple are going to be pushed hard in the laptop market when Windows 7 appears...

10. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

the average user is about future proofing his machine more than anything

people are not stupid (well many admittedly are, but bear with me here for a sec) what's adequate hardware-wise for today's software standards will inevitably be redundant tomorrow

11. n19htmare macrumors member

OP, you might dreaming a little if you expect Apple to offer those specs for $1499 lol. If apple had a MBP with those specs, look at around $2200 for the 15 incher.

I've been using windows 7 for a while now and I must say, It's pretty freaking nice.

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Average consumer? Do you mean someone who will use a browser, email, and import photos and maybe a FlipHD movie? Then...

I do not understand why the average consumer wants an Apple computer on specifications. They look nice. Walk-up technical support is nice. But if you are talking about the average consumer user, spending more than $1,000 is pretty absurd unless you have money to throw around.

Why would any "average consumer" need a Macbook Pro, then?

13. SMC1991 macrumors member

That could be reflected in the lower end models. But this whole "consumer only needs" is no justification for Apple's high prices on mid-grade dual-core hardware.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

i see what you guys are saying, that all makes sense... i guess apple is just too fixated with form over function.

15. macgirl89 macrumors member

Honestly, if you load up that Dell laptop with a comparable three-year warranty, Bluetooth, etc., it'll cost like $1700/$1800, which is pretty much the same as a Mac. Plus you'd need to buy antivirus every year (at least $30 for a decent one, unless you pirate it). Plus you'd need to deal with the viruses in the event that the antivirus doesn't work so good. Plus you'd need to have it repaired if you can't fix it... more $$$ being spent there...

Another thing about the Dell: Battery life is really important to me (I take my laptop with me every day to college and use it throughout the 9-hour day)... and as far as I can tell, the battery life on Dells sucks. People are happy with getting 3 or 4 hours of battery life. No thanks! I love that I can get 7 to 9 hours out of my MacBook Pro.

Apple will come out with the latest hardware in due time. I don't think it's right to bash them right now. At least they spend time on making sure they're producing good stuff, rather then hurrying the hardware out the door so they earn more money (like with PCs)...

16. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

That has nothing to do with the processor. Battery life and Bluetooth weren't what the Op was talking about. I too wish that there were more hardware choices from apple and that they refreshed their configurations more in line with the rest of the industry.

17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

You say you would need to add money on the warranty, and then you say it would cost extra to fix any issue? That's like saying I buy AppleCare AND I have to pay when something goes wrong.

Well, Microsoft is soon coming out with built-in Windows anti-virus software, so you won't have to pay for that subscription. A 3-year warranty on the Dell Studio 15 is $260, so that's cheaper than AppleCare. It also includes InHome service where Dell actually sends someone to your home to fix the issue if need be.

I hear you on battery life. To me, the battery life and sleekness of the MacBook Pro and the iLife apps are what still pushes the MacBook Pro ahead of the Dell, but it's closer than one might think.

18. macgirl89 macrumors member

Well, what I'm saying is that, just because the processor is a little bit faster, doesn't make up for everything else. Everyone should stop being like "OMG WE NEED A NEW REFRESH!!!1!" two seconds after Apple releases something new. Seriously, if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen. Buy something else if Apple is not satisfying you or if you don't think your laptop is fast enough. Personally, I'm quite happy with my new MacBook Pro's speed. It's a beast compared to Vista craptops.

19. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

The OP point was that he can go to the Dell website and get tempted now that the i7 is out, and it didn't bother him before. Apple didn't JUST release new laptops either, it was 3 months ago, long time in computer world. And yea, Vista sux big time, but Windows 7 does not, and it's coming out soon.

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

it runs better on my air then osx does....:S

21. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

macgirl, there is a lot of misinformation. Read the original post and do a bit of research.

If you are getting 7 hours out of your Macbook Pro's battery, good for you. That is not the norm, though.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree. I normally aim for a MacBook if I'm looking for a notebook. The Studio 15 for half a pound more and the mobile quad has really raised my interest. So has Windows 7.

23. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Your opinion is your opinion however with lines like "Vista craptops" just illuminates your overall computer bias. The biggest knock on apple is their lack of configurations is insulting compared to other options. Good for you on your experience, however i don't think i said anything about 2 second refresh etc.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Dell's get very good battery life. My friend's Dell can get something like 3 hours playing WoW, and that's with a 6 cell battery.

25. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

Oh...no need to "guess" bman. Apple's priorities are seriously skewed.

Unless Apple wakes up and offers a mid-range tower ...not likely.. it's looking more and more like Windows 7 for me. Maybe a hackintosh, but I'm not buying another iMac, that's for sure. I need a graphics workstation that doesn't break the bank (Mac Pro).