kind of regretting getting the new MBP over the MB - advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queen of Spades, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

So I picked up the new MBP last night at the Apple store on Boylston St. in Boston. They had no display models out, and told me they wouldn't until Friday. That was cool, I sort of knew what I wanted.

However, I'm not sure I want the MBP over the MB anymore. The MBP hurt my shoulder carrying it around in my bag yesterday. The 4.5lbs of the Macbook seems really tempting right now. I thought I wanted the 15" screen, but it seems actually huge looking at it. It could also be because I've been using a blackbook for the last month.

Not sure what I should do. I think the 2.4Ghz Macbook would fit my needs specs wise with a little gaming, but since I'd have to pay $189.90 for a restocking fee, I'd only save about $200 going to the macbook. I'm undecided. Any advice?

2. kingtj macrumors 68020

Hmm....

Honestly, I think rather than doing a return/exchange, if you REALLY don't want to keep it - you might try reselling it on Craigslist or something?
    I know in my city, the Macbook Pros sold out at the local Apple store in about 10 minutes. I went in last night, hoping to see or even buy one, and was greeted at the door by a concierge explaining to another guy in front of me that they were sold out within 10 minutes of their doors opening that morning....

I bet there are still people wanting one *now* who would gladly pay you back exactly what you just paid for it, or maybe even knock $25 or something off the price. Far better than paying that restocking fee....

3. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Depends upon what you are going to do with it. Other than a little gaming (vague), it be good to know what applications and games you want to use. If its the weight I use a backpack. Paid around 100 for it. Lots of padding and allows room for books change of clothes (I travel a lot), etc. I have an older MBP and I would never consider going to a MB. No disrespect to the MB. I play Madden08 and WOW. Other than that I use Office2008 and Safari. If it was me I would keep the MBP (Dual Video Card, more memory, etc). But that's me. Good Luck on your decision!

Bill....:apple:

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I would almost say suck it up. You have a better computer in the MBP. Worst comes to worst, sell it and don't eat that nasty restocking fee.

6. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Thanks for the advice. I listed it on craigslist, but I will also consider keeping it. It's a beautiful machine, of course. I generally always go for more horsepower, but it was nice to be able to carry the blackbook around with me everywhere.

I don't game much, sometimes I will play City of Heroes/Villains, maybe a little Sims. Anything hardcore I use my desktop or 360. It's nice to have playability on the go, but I don't expect high settings. Other than that, it's Final Cut Express, Photoshop, Comic Life, etc. Judging by the early reviews of the 9400M, it should be able to handle these fine.

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

it's called buyer's remorse :D
    how influential was the "rush" of people WANTING the new MBP in your decision making???

oh well! everything is clearer on the hindsight..

stick with it...

who knows.. once you got the MB? you might consider the MBA in November?

again stick with what you have.. that's a great machine already

8. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It wasn't the rush of people wanting a new MBP at all. I've been a MBP user, and that's what I figured I'd go with again. I've had the money for 5 months, it wasn't really a rushed decision. I liked the new design, features, etc. It was certainly not a purchase on a whim I decided on in one day. I think the main factor was using a smaller macbook for the past month led me to appreciate the smaller size.

A MBA is not at all what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'm not a flighty purchaser by any stretch of the imagination.

9. emt1 macrumors 65816

My refurb MBP arrives today. Crap. I hope it's not too big. I was used to my BlackBook also.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think it's either your bag or the lack of weight training. One pound difference between both units.

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

not being sarcastic , simply asking a " legit" question.

and about the rush of people buying the new MBP..
    my point is.. it would have been a lot helpful if you waited and tried the MBP and the New MB, side by side comparison, on the Apple store before committing to a purchase..

again.. the feeling that... if i don't but it right away.. i might get sold out, works PERFECTLY for APPLE and not for the consumer.

if you had waited 5 months, you did your research regarding the new MBP, why are you still considering the Macbook?
    can i safely say that since NOW, the MB and MBP specs are closer than ever, especially the "look" factor..

12. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

the firewire port was the dealbreaker for me. had to go MBP

13. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Really? to heavy for your shoulder that you carried 50 lbs of books on durring Highschool / college?

... i'm not trying to be rude, but i think maybe you are thinking more of the money factor and trying to find other reasons to return it other than the money...

If you can afford to keep it man, keep it it is a much better computer and seriously if it is that heavy, carry it in a backpack or something.

14. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's not a money issue at all. Why would I lie or obfuscate on an internet forum? I'm a 27-year-old woman, a grad student, an Ivy League grad, and consider myself fairly well versed in tech things. I'm not some kid spending the rent money on a MBP.

I'm surprised at how little these responses have helped or stayed on topic. Again, THE MONEY IS NOT A FACTOR. Obviously if I'm going to essentially toss $189 in the trash, I want it to be the best choice for me. It's not simply the 1lb difference, the MBP is wider and in my hands I can feel the larger footprint. That's all. I was just trying to debate whether or not the MacBook would be a good choice given then restocking fee, etc.

I bought it yesterday because I'd been waiting months to purchase a laptop. And yes, the weight makes a difference with shoulder bags. I have a backpack I use frequently, which makes it much less of a factor, but a backpack is not always appropriate. In some circumstances I'd rather use a more business-like shoulder bag, etc.

Thanks to the one or two people who posted something helpful.

15. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Keep what you've got.

It's only a pound. In a bit you won't notice the difference.

You will enjoy all those extra pixels on the screen.

Be happy. :D

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Keep it. Get a different case with better shouldpadding and Go to the Gym ;)

17. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

keep it

you got the power, graphics, fw800, express slot

....and you already paid for it

18. Thetics macrumors regular

lets trade =D i just picked up an MB last night.

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If portability is important, and it sounds like it is, then I think you need to switch to the MacBook instead. I couldn't live without my MBP, but then I have a MBA as well. I simply didn't carry the MBP around with me! The MBA, on the other hand, goes everywhere.

20. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I'm not sure what kind of "help" you expect; you've used both a MBP and a MB in the past, so you have first-hand experience with both. I don't think any advice you get here will be superior to that direct experience.

It sounds to me like you've really come to appreciate the smaller form factor and lighter weight of the MB. That's entirely understandable. The only question I'd be asking myself is whether the smaller screen will be satisfactory when running apps like FCP and PS. If you've already used these on your BlackBook and find the experience acceptable, then if I were you I'd go with the lighter, smaller machine! Chalk up the restocking fee to one of life's lessons learned the hard way! ;)

21. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I find it odd that people are trying to argue that there is little difference in weight / size. There is a real difference. it isn't huge. just as there is a real difference between the MB and the Air... again not huge, but meaningful.

trade-offs.... if you don't like carrying it around, it isn't going to get lighter or smaller.

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

hello there again!

base on your previous thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569796

you were actually considering a blackbook last sept 25.

what happened?
    got carried away by the "new MBP hype"?

so you should have bought the aluminum macbook..
    and not the Macbook PRO..

if you don't FEEL happy and satisfied about something you just recently bought..then you got the WRONG one.

i suggest, return the MBP or sell it at Craigslist
    and buy yourself the macbook..

ok? one problem solved..
    now to the next 99,999 users who want the MATTE as BTO

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Even if you are going to pursue "casual" gaming, the MBP is a keeper with a separate GPU. I have both, albeit last year's models and I definitely prefer my Pro, for everything except kitchen web surfing right now:)

The MB was purchased as a gift for my wife as our first Mac 15 month ago. She rarely carries it anywhere, but I carry my MBP everywhere, everyday. You do get used to the weight. Make sure to get a "good" bag, definitely get what you pay for area...decent computer carrying cases. I prefer my Brenthaven, but mainly because it's tough and I'm mobile. Not necessarily compared to others for comfort. I would rate it a 6 on a 1-10 for comfort as I am sure you can do better:)

I casually play games as well, and I definitely WANT the option to do so if a good one comes out (that'll work with my system). Most games do require at the minimum a separate GPU in their specs....but now that I think of it, the new MB models may not have integrated graphics anymore....sorry, I am not up to date on whether they made that change with this model. Certainly the one I own is IG and it's underwhelming, IMO.

Good Luck.

Jer

24. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

What does that post about the value of a BlackBook have to do with anything? Honestly? That BlackBook became my sister's new computer, and I was primarily looking for it for her. You're a troll in this thread, as far as I'm concerned. Get a life. I don't know how many times I have to say I don't care a whit about hype. I'm not you. Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit.

To everyone else after my last post - thank you. I appreciate the comments and I will make a decision in the next day or so.