Kinda confused can someone confirm please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolweirdo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Just got off the phone with apple and im not eligible for an upgrade so im paying full price for my iphone 5, but the question is if i pay full price will it actually come factory unlocked like the 4s did a year ago when we plugged it in to itunes. Apple rep say he's 90% sure that it wont happen like that with the iphone 5. Anybody have any info for the people who are purchasing full price?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well if your ordering through a specific carrier, then it shouldnt come unlocked. That may have been an error last year when you ordered it.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes - last year some were coming unlocked. It was an error.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah dont worry, thats very unlikely to happen. Just make sure you select which carrier when you go to order through the Apple page, or order through your carrier website to insure you get the phone for your specific carrier.

5. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

do you think since its purchased at full price ATT will factory unlock it

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

possible they would, also in about a month or so Apple should be offering factory unlocks if you can wait..

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Full Price is unlocked. Or did I miss something?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

There is a difference between "unlocked" and "without a contract" iPhone. They are both "full price." At&t will not sell unlocked iphones, those are only available through Apple. You can buy an unlocked phone and use it for At&t and any other GSM network. A "without a contract" phone will be locked for that specific carrier but At&t will unlock it for you if you want, since its not in a binding contract.

9. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

thats what i thought! i dont wanna pay full price if its locked:(

----------

so basically it will be factory unlocked/unlocked once att unlock it? an i can do basically the same thing as if i purchased it from apple fully unlocked

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes, its the same thing. If you're going to pay full price, don't order a "without a contract" phone that you then later need to call At&t to get unlocked. Just get the factory unlocked phone that will work for any GSM network, including At&t.