Kinda new to macs. But not sure if this is right..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chaosphantom, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Chaosphantom macrumors newbie

Chaosphantom

Okay.. So i got this 2006 Macbook. And it works and everything. But for some reason it dosn't charge. I just bought a brand new charger. And a brand new battery for it. When i put the battery in, it started up just fine. But that was because there was some charge on the new battery. But after the battery died it still wouldn't let me charge. When i plug in the charger it just stay's at green. But it is not charging at all. I am starting to think that something internally is shorting out or some sort. Anyone got any idea's?? Like i said i am kind of new to mac's. So i am not sure if its supposed to stay green or not.:(

(Also it didn't charge with the old battery and charger either.)

2. teksurv macrumors regular

Not right. Sounds like either the DC power board or the logic board.

3. CLuv macrumors 6502

Have you tried resetting the SMC? That may be all you need to do.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It might be the MagSafe port that might be faulty. That part itself isn't expensive but the labor is. Had a friend with a similar problem and that's what the problem was.

5. Chaosphantom thread starter macrumors newbie

Chaosphantom

Oh i see.. But do you think the port might be connected to the mother board? Meaning i would need a whole new mother board correct? I just opened it up to check all the connections. They seem good. But i think the magsafe is faulty like you said. Where do you think i could pick one of them up? And what would be the cost?

6. Chaosphantom thread starter macrumors newbie

Chaosphantom

The SMC? What exactly is this? And how can i reset it? Because if that is the case than that would be way easier than replacing parts in it.

7. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

If you do go the route of replacing the magsafe dc-in board, you could get one pretty cheap on eBay, but with this part I always feel safer on ifixit. Here's a link to the part you may need.

The labor, as stated, will certainly be overpriced. However, if you're feeling confident, you could probably manage it yourself.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Google is your friend.

9. CLuv macrumors 6502