Kinda Urgent Question - y, I'm thinking about returning this nTB for last generations 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Jan 5, 2017.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

I have a late 2016 nTB baseline MBP (2GHz, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD) and I need to make a decision within the next day on if I will regret my idea, so here it is.

I'm a huge financial nut, borderline miser. Sometimes I feel I'm way too cheap because of it. Anyway, I'm thinking about returning this nTB for last generations 13" model which I can get open box from Best Buy right now for $1,056.00. With the return of my AV Dongle and the nTB MBP I will have a savings of $442.00 back in my pocket.

The model I'm looking at is like I said last generation and 128GB SSD, 2.7 GHz, 8GB RAM so it is actually an upgraded processor because I believe the baseline was 2.2GHz.

I'm a business major right now, I will be running bootcamp however only to run Microsoft Office and a couple other applications. However nothing intensive like audio/video or image editing software on bootcamp.

I'm by far mainly a consumer when it comes to use, I would say most of my time in an actual application is either a Microsoft Office program or Quicken Mac 2017. Aside from that, I welcome being able to lose the dongle and have my HDMI port back as I am a cord cutter and do not have cable. Because of this I'm often plugging my laptop directly into TV with an HDMI cable.

So, is the savings off $442.00 and having my HDMI port back worth the older generation and other specs I will miss out on?

2. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Keep the nTB. In a couple of months you'll forget about that $440 and have an older men machine that's getting older and older. If you can afford $1056 then the extra $440 is not worth worrying about. Dinner out 5-6 times...

3. MilKat10 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Just my $0.02 cts, if you're on a tight budget and don't need the full power of the base ntbMBP, then going for last gen might be a better alternative:
    - late 2016 base ntbMBP is slighty more powerful than 2015's model (in single core - covers most activities)
    - You mainly use MsOffice
    - You don't need to shell out any extra for adapters / dongles
    - You could get a 256 Gb on the 2015's model and use bootcamp (128 Gb seems very little for that usage) - you would still find a cheaper deal than a 2016 ntbMBP

For the record: I am myself on the fence, about to go for the late 2016 ntbMBP but having been playing with the 15 inch and have difficulties talking myself out of it despite the current linitations of the touch bar

/MilK

4. jerryk, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68020

I would consider switching to a used 2015 system if cost is the driving factor. Invest the saved money. I did that when I was younger and now can afford to swap systems every year or two, cars every 3, .... Compounding is a wonderful thing!

5. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Sounds like cost is the top concern. The answer is obvious. If you keep the higher priced product, you will keep second guessing yourself. If you get the cheaper one, no matter how much you like it more or less, you will have saved money, which is your priority. Non-income earning people (assume you are as a student) don't need the latest MBP, it's just nicer.

6. halfbad macrumors member

This is only a year difference, for you usage there is no huge benefit that would out weigh your savings. Don't get the latest and greatest, get what suits your needs all around.

As long as the warranty is still in place. I reccomend last years model and save that money, opportunities with open box and refurbs should be taken advantage of. In addition you plug your Mac into the TV all the time, definitely go with last years model. Faster performance as well on the CPU, only down side is the 128GB but that's dependent on your storage needs.

BTW if you connect to you TV a lot, I recommend buying an ATV4 refurb/used and then keep that connected to your TV, and then just airplay your media, or use as an extended desktop screen wirelessly. Then you don't even need to plug it in and can keep using it for other things as well as you airplay. It's a rad setup I've done it before as a wireless monitors.

7. Zdodo macrumors newbie

Zdodo

Not sure if you made your decision already, but I genuinely believe the nTB to be the better choice, if there is any chance you can afford it. When it comes to processors, speed, and especially base speed you refer to in your post, is not everything. While the 2015 rMBP does have a higher base speed, it is still an older, less energy efficient processor. Furthermore, the 2016 base nTB is faster in benchmarks. In real life, however, and especially with the use you describe, you won't be feeling a difference, so I wouldn't focus too much on this. However, on top of this, the nTB has a slightly better screen, slightly smaller bezels, a clearly better gpu, a better keyboard (many would disagree with me on this one), it's smaller and lighter, it will be supported for longer and it has usb-c, which I guess will be the standard in a few years (you won't be needing those dongles). Furthermore you'll be getting that extra 128gb of space.

Don't get me wrong though, the 2015 rMBP is a great machine. As long as I could afford the 2016 model, however, it'd be an easy pick for me.

8. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I just re-read your OP. Out of curiosity, why do you continue to run Office on bootcamp? I've recently converted and the new Office for Mac/365 is almost at PC level. I am pretty used to PC shortcuts too, and it's almost all the way at PC level. If you converted to Mac Office, no real reason to use bootcamp since you already do Quicken on Mac too.

9. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

Honestly the prices are pretty comparable with similar builds. The benefit on the 2015 is less money on dongles and adapters. I just returned a 2016 13" nTB. Getting a refurbished 2015 13" on Monday. I'll see how I feel about it. I already have buyers remorse. I have used the 2015s and I like the 2016 build way better. If the nTB gets kaby lake and 4 USB-C ports, two on each side, I'm in. Touchbar is still a gimic and hopefully becomes an option and not a necessity in future builds. im trying to do the math and what's better Selling a depreciated 2015 13" in 2017 Or using a ChromeBook until a better battery and more ports comes to the 13"?

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

Agreed. Office 365 for the Mac is great.

11. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

WPS office for iOS and LibreOffice for MacOS are a better deal!!

12. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Trust me. Based on my experience, a 128gb hard drive divided up to run Windows on boot camp does not leave you much space for anything else. After adding Office and a few apps your HD will be full.

13. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

You actually got me to take a look. After review and consideration this isn't happening for anyone that works with anyone else where Office is used. More importantly for me, seems like the interface is different enough to utilize the shortcuts and menus that we're used to. Ironically, this is almost like the PC/Mac argument. Not necessarily looking for the best deal. I'm willing to pay a little more to get exactly what I want/need (or let employer).

14. brojan macrumors member

I just returned my TBMBP to keep my 2014 rMBP. I like everything except the form factor. The new ones are sleek but it didnt override the other annoyances... missing SD slot, USB, and displayport.