Kindle Fire outsells iPad 2 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by russelldirect, Dec 1, 2011.

1. russelldirect, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011

russelldirect macrumors member

Kindle Fire not a total failure

The iPad is ranked 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8 on the top sellers, so as a whole it's still beating the Fire by a huge margin. Still, I'm pretty impressed.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple iPad outsells Kindle Fire at the Apple Store.:eek:

Apple iPad not a total failure.:D

Now for the Amazon sales numbers.....

3. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

Hey now, you know what I meant :p

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

True, but I think it would be a BIG story if the Fire were not selling well. Also it's not really a direct competitor to the iPad. Sort of like a Corvette to a Camaro. Also you need to check your link.

5. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

I've heard this argument before, but I think there are many cases where people are going to choose between one and the other. I know I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire, the iPad already meets all the needs that the Fire would fulfill.

Thanks for the pointer about my link -- MacRumors was censoring the URL :cool:

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

A lot of people buying their first tablet don't know why they need or want a tablet. It's just the hot new thing. The $199 price point is a winner. Lots more "what the hell, why not?" purchases at $199 than $499. I saw them at Target the other day and damn near picked one up just for ha-has. That $199 price tag is enticing.

For me though, if they put a front cam on it, I might already have one. This is a big minus to me. Also the lack of access to Google's Android Market. You only get Amazon's AppStore. Which is fine and dandy but if you've already purchased a ton of apps from Google's Market for your Android phone, it makes it a pain in the arse to get them on to the Fire unless you wanna buy them again. No thanks.

I think the Fire is really gonna do some amazing numbers through the holidays because if that price point. If Apple had a $199 7" tablet they would NOT be able to keep that thing in stock.

7. russelldirect, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011

russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

I'm reluctant to support the Amazon App Store myself -- remember the incident with Pocket Casts and the free app of the day thing over the summer? Not cool.

And I think Apple is having enough trouble keeping iPads on the shelf as it it :p

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Kindle Fire is outselling the 16G wifi iPad at Best Buy. Whoopee do. No news here. Move on. The iPad is outselling the Kindle Fire by huge numbers at Best Buy.

9. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Don't take it so seriously. Just a thread on the internet :)

I'm really interested to see the sales numbers proper, when they're released. Always nice to have options! Though I love my new iPad :)

10. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

That's if Amazon releases Kindle sales numbers, which they tend not to do :mad:

11. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

It's funny how fandroids want to put the Fire against individual iPad models/configurations to prove how good it's selling, yet they have to lump all Android phones together to claim they're outselling the iPhone.

12. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

The more competition the iPad has, the more they are forced to innovate and step it up. I'm all for the Fire being a success. ;)

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Actually, we don't even know if it actually outsells the 16GB WiFi iPad. We only know it outsells the 16GB WiFi iPad Black, and the 16GB WiFi iPad White, because they are counted separately. Worse, the 16 GB Wifi+3G numbers are split in four (black vs. white, AT&T vs. Verizon version).

So both 16GB WiFi iPad and 16GB WiFi+3G iPad might outsell the Kindle Fire. And somehow I think Best Buy might not be the place where I shop for an expensive item like an iPad. (I might be prejudiced because here in the UK Best Buy is just closing all their stores because they cannot compete with Dixons).

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

And just as amusing that some Apple fans reject comparing the single Amazon model to the most comparable iPad model (the 16Gig wifi model) and want to include the entire Apple product line to beef up the iPad numbers.

Bottom line. There is no trophy awarded to a "winner" here except in the minds of fanboys. The Fire is selling very well, both on the Amazon website where it was the biggest selling single item of any kind on the biggest single online retail site on Black Friday. Likewise it was the biggest selling single tablet at both Best Buy and Target over the post-Thanksgiving weekend.

Will it outsell the iPad in the holiday season? Of course not. Is it a major success for a newly introduced product? Yup.

15. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

We have both an iPad and a Fire in our household, and both are perfectly good devices at what the makers of the devices intended them to do, regardless of what any analyst/critic/reviewer thinks they should do.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

What I think is funny is how the usual suspects out here are trying so desperately to "prove" superiority for some reason, but the truth of it is that they care a lot more about the competition than Apple does.

IF Apple actually wanted to destroy the Fire they could simply by offering a sub-$300 7" iPad. But they don't so if Apple doesnt care then all this worrying by the "Apple Defense Squad" is just a bunch of people wasting their time overreacting over something so inconsequential to their lives.

17. toiday macrumors regular

Why do we worry about Kindle out sell iPad? That would be something for Apple to worry about, not us. The only concern to me is do I enjoy using my iPad? And, now that I had the iPad for almost a year, do I still think it's a good investment. That is totally depended on how I use my iPad. For myself, the answer is yes. For my co-worker, no. He hardly uses his. He jumped in the "iPad wagon" because everyone else does. Having an iPad is not like being fan to a sport team that you want your team to be the best teams. Owning the iPad is for its benefit, not something to show off others.

18. matt90036 macrumors regular

how hard is it for some to understand that the more competition the better it is for us the customers. if kindle manages to outsell iPad then perhaps apple will come out with a 7 inch model that so many of us want. if another android device has similar success then maybe apple will finally provide a way to keep all of our files in one place instead of having 5 copies of single PDF.

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

‘A Great Coaster’
    Posted on December 1, 2011 in General Geek

Stephen Colbert:

I’ll be with you in just a minute, I’m just finishing some online holiday shopping. There’s nice deal on a Kindle Fire. That would make a great coaster for my iPad.

http://512pixels.net/

So when's the NEXT "Kindle Fire" coming out?

This thing went from assured "iPad Killer" a month ago, to "it's a solid #2", to "it's actually an e-reader/Nook competitor", to "it's still a good device.... I wonder why Amazon still hasn't posted sales figures."

Yeah, "competition is good", or whatever. But where the hell is it??

20. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

So by selling 100,000 Fires at Best Buy's ONLINE store, the Fire beat the iPad 16gb model... Woopdee friggin doo dah. Is this news, soley because online crap sites like to compare an ereader to a real tablet, and if by chance that ereader sells a few units, we're supposed to be amazed.

I would think it is news if a tablet maker sells even half as well as the ipad. Right now, every single tablet maker combined doesn't reach that goal.

21. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

What fandroid? The OP was just pointing out that the Kindle Fire is not a failure.

----------

It is news because it is the first time that a tablet/ereader manages to sell that much. Many people consider the Fire as a tablet. You're just criticizing this news because you hate Android so much.

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

First off, you are wrong. The Touchpad sold more. Second, I don't hate Android.

23. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

We're talking in terms of Best Buy selling for that specific day or period of time.

Second, your avatar says otherwise.

24. bocomo macrumors 6502

Why do people keep saying this? Apple does a great job of innovating and they force other companies to "step it up"

Ipod
    Iphone
    Ipad

Extreme innovation in user interface, ease of use, pleasure to use, works very easily, etc

25. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Because....it hasn't always been that way.....