Kindle Owner's Lending Library Free to Amazon Prime Members

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by GoCubsGo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1328834582&pf_rd_i=507846
    ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 03 08.17.jpg
    This may push me towards buying a Kindle in hopes that I get something else out of my prime membership.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I can't find this mentioned on the UK store. I'd also like to get more from my Prime membership but feel we're a bit short changed. I'll stick with iBooks on my iPad.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's very interesting. As the opposite of Jessica, this might make me think more seriously about getting Prime. :D

4. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Already ordered the kindle fire. This is a great addition to prime membership.

The free shipping and video streaming already covers the cost of the fee. This puts it over the top

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Oh wow. I do hope this is available in the UK.

6. monkeylui macrumors 6502

This is pretty cool. My prime membership has already paid for itself several times over. I can't wait for my kindle touch & kindle fire. Too bad it doesn't work on the kindle apps.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This would be nice.. but then again, this "may" help drive sales to the kindle fire!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I will be checking this out.

9. anotonin, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

anotonin macrumors member

What a great bait to dangle in front of us. 100 books and no due dates! Its very, very tempting.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I missed that detail -- that's too bad. At least once in reading any typical book I read on my Kindle, I find that I don't have my Kindle with me or there are space restrictions or whatever, and I end up reading a few pages of the book on my iPhone instead. I'd see it as a big limitation if the loaned books were only on my Kindle and not on my Kindle app.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I completely agree....... the ability to have a book sync across all my devices with the app is freaking great. Having this added ablity would be even nicer. I am hoping, keeping fingers crossed this makes it way to the apps!

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have been tempted by Prime in the past, but this may just push me to getting it. I have a Kindle already, so this would be nice. Sadly, though, I hardly use it. I just prefer a real book in my hands. When I got the Kindle, I wanted to go more with more e-books, but I am a sucker for the bargain aisles at B&N. This may push me back to the Kindle.

13. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not to say that my Prime membership hasn't paid for itself, frequently but I like the benefits being increased so that I don't have to justify the membership with additional shopping. :D

Here is what I think can happen. If you own a Kindle then Amazon may introduce syncing across various devices. However, if you don't own a Kindle then that option won't be made available to you. Why would they give this out to just anyone without some underlying ploy to drive people towards the Kindle or the Kindle Fire? I would not be surprised if you could eventually have this feature as the owner of one of their devices. The rest will be left to either buy a Kindle or just see this as a membership benefit that is of no use to them.

Similar to you the bargain isles at B&N drive me away from adopting ebooks entirely. Alongside a lot of the books I tend to read aren't always super popular. Even still, the cheap price of a Kindle combined with my Prime membership may be a nice little nudge in this direction.

14. monkeylui macrumors 6502

It may. But it didn't sell me on a fire. I don't know what did. Lol! But I do like the amazon Ecosystem like the apple ecosystem.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://gigaom.com/2011/11/03/kindle-lending-book-publishers-still-not-getting-it/

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5,000 books is plenty. That article is framed as if by doing this Amazon has reduced the selection of books you can buy, which obviously isn't the case. Free books are free books. Whether or not you choose to take advantage of the program or not is up to you.

Plus, it's likely that the initial selection will expand in the future.

18. anotonin macrumors member

Its 5000 now? From 100 books to 5000? Wow.

And still no due dates? Its almost too good to be true.

19. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If 6 major publishers aren't in then I wonder if they'll be in later. Didn't it take apple some time to get movie studios on board? For $79 I'd buy a kindle and pay for my prime membership. It's still quite cheap.

20. monkeylui macrumors 6502

There are plenty of books out of the 5000 that I would read. I think there is something for everyone. & as amazon always does, they will continue to add more. Very cool that they are doing it. What I think is nice is that if there is a long wait for an ebook from a library & amazon has it, well there you go, just rent through amazon. Only difference is you don't have to use the actual hardware from amazon to rent the library book. But still, it's an amazing option. Consumers should be excited.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Ok. But so far . . .

1) You need to own a Kindle (not just the Kindle app.)

2) Publishers need to opt-in.

3) None of Big 6 have.

Hopefully Amazon's dice roll will pay off.

22. Randy McKown macrumors member