King Kong Trailer

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
788
0
Center of the Nation
Just saw the King Kong trailer while on the mac so I thought I would comment.

Everything seems to be looking good, expect, maybe it was just because the shots were moving so fast, but the CG just didn't look all that good. The t-rex moved like like in jp3 as well. (Not a bad thing, but still) I will still go see it and really am looking forward to it, just some of those CG shots...
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Looks good. You know there's gonna be heaps of awesome special effecets. Natalie Portman is my favorite actress.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
Lacero said:
Looks good. You know there's gonna be heaps of awesome special effecets. Natalie Portman is my favorite actress.

I was quite impressed - this should be good. But Jack Black? That's going to be interesting :D

D
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Appears you already hit the 20K mark there Mr Anderson. Or should I call you Neo?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm...it's always funny when a movie like King Kong gets remade in the absence of the cultural drivers that created it the first time around. But who knows? I guess it could fail to suck.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
barneygumble said:
????? - you mean naomi watts
Yes she's also one of my favorite actresses as well. I loved her in Mulholland Drive. That lez & "m" scene were pure ecstasy.
 

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
1,766
16
NY
I wonder if the whole thing is going to be 1.85:1, or 2.35:1 like LOTR. I take Mr. Jackson as an anamorphic man, but he may have chosen the smaller one to honor the original, which was 1.37:1, or fullscreen.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
eva01 said:
now i just want weta to make the Evangelion live action movie T_T
Is such a thing in the works? That could be amazing...it could be terrible, too, but it could be amazing.... Watashi ni kaeri nasai!

So I watched the King Kong trailer....I don't know. This movie looks like it was made by marketing execs. Why, for the love of God, are there dinosaurs? :rolleyes: I'm just reinforcing my suspicion that King Kong should've been left in the attic with Bojangles.
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...it's always funny when a movie like King Kong gets remade in the absence of the cultural drivers that created it the first time around. But who knows? I guess it could fail to suck.
I'm missing on my history/movie knowledge here. What were the cultural drivers that created the original?
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I'm kind of regretting watching the trailer. Its almost like they gave away the plot. Obviously somehow, King Kong is going to make it back to NY to cause havoc. The whole film crew shooting on a mythical island could have been left out. That would have been a nice surprise to see how the King Kong movie would have developed.

1920's New York looks absolutely fabulous. The textures look so much realistic than, say, Star Wars Ep.III.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
mkrishnan said:
So I watched the King Kong trailer....I don't know. This movie looks like it was made by marketing execs. Why, for the love of God, are there dinosaurs? :rolleyes: I'm just reinforcing my suspicion that King Kong should've been left in the attic with Bojangles.

Have you seen the original?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024216/plotsummary

Arriving on the island, they discover it is home to gigantic beasts like dinosaurs, and ruling over all is Kong, a 30 foot tall gorilla.
That's from the 1933 original movie plot. The thing that makes it harder to accept, I guess, is that we've already done the *Island Of Dinosaurs* with Jurasic Park and sequels. I think its great and I'm hoping we see King Kong open up a can or two of wuppass on a T-Rex :D

I also think they might make fun of the Jurasic Park bit - it would be very hard not to :D

I'm putting the original on my Net Flix cue - it will be great to see it before the remake comes out....when is it coming to theaters?

D
 

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
726
0
Lacero said:
Yes she's also one of my favorite actresses as well. I loved her in Mulholland Drive. That lez & "m" scene were pure ecstasy.
I am not going to argue that scene was delicious
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mr. Anderson said:
That's from the 1933 original movie plot.
Yeah, okay, I had to jog my memory a little bit. Sorry about that one. :eek: It's been a long time...yeah, dinosaurs, I guess it could happen. :)

Stridey, a lot of people see the original movie as a racist allegory about the dangers of integration. Even though the ending has a tender attitude towards King Kong, the conclusion is still the idea that the "uncontrollable" urges of black men will lead to devastation when they are allowed to be in the presence of white women, who are seen as irresistible. Not everyone takes that interpretation of the original movie, but it is a pretty widely held view that, whether or not this was intentionally the story the movie tells, that sentiment in 30s culture made up the backdrop that allowed such a movie to come into existence.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I loved the old stop motion King Kong movies as a kid. I think this 2005 version might be too intense for the younger crowd. What do you think? Discuss.
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
I think that this movie has some wickedly awesome potential. And it does have Peter Jackson directy, so... ;)
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
Lacero said:
I loved the old stop motion King Kong movies as a kid. I think this 2005 version might be too intense for the younger crowd. What do you think? Discuss.
It will be rated PG-13, I would think.

From what I read in USA Today this morning, there's still much work to be done on the graphics - even to the point of determining Kong's final look. Should be a good movie, though, although I'm a little surprised they're bringing in dinosaurs... :confused:
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
mkrishnan said:
Stridey, a lot of people see the original movie as a racist allegory about the dangers of integration. Even though the ending has a tender attitude towards King Kong, the conclusion is still the idea that the "uncontrollable" urges of black men will lead to devastation when they are allowed to be in the presence of white women, who are seen as irresistible. Not everyone takes that interpretation of the original movie, but it is a pretty widely held view that, whether or not this was intentionally the story the movie tells, that sentiment in 30s culture made up the backdrop that allowed such a movie to come into existence.
Wow. That's really interesting. It's too bad that it plays so heavily into america's murky past. I retain high hopes for the flick though, if only as a monster movie. We'll see how it turns out.
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
Saw an extended ad tonight, at first thought it was the movie version on our favorite TV show Lost.

Jack Black Rocks, and PJ can't hurt.
 

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
2,205
1
I don't know about Jack Black, but the fact that Peter Jackson is directing it gives me hope.

That, and the CG shots in the LOTR trilogy were outstanding.
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
PJ, F. Walsh and P Boyens share screenplay credits, this may be good.

Dinosaurs are kick as_
 

iPoster

macrumors regular
mkrishnan said:
Stridey, a lot of people see the original movie as a racist allegory about the dangers of integration. Even though the ending has a tender attitude towards King Kong, the conclusion is still the idea that the "uncontrollable" urges of black men will lead to devastation when they are allowed to be in the presence of white women, who are seen as irresistible. Not everyone takes that interpretation of the original movie, but it is a pretty widely held view that, whether or not this was intentionally the story the movie tells, that sentiment in 30s culture made up the backdrop that allowed such a movie to come into existence.
Er, I've never heard that one before..sounds like people assigning things they interpret/want to see to a product of the past. :confused:

Now if there were some editorials/writings from the period that would back that theory up, I would accept that...I'm not sure how you get from a giant gorilla to an 'uncontrollable' black man...unless you're talking an extremely broad characterization...