Kirk Cameron says Women Should Honor Husbands

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Trenton, FL
www.brentowensmusic.com
Nice language, keep it classy at least, I'm saying that in the bible which he was quoting, it says the woman shall honor her husband, but mentions nothing about the husband honoring his wife, and quite frankly, women were pretty bad off back then, they were essentially treated much like slaves. So him quoting the bible doesn't exactly make him look good without amending that second part on it.
You must not have read that part of the Bible. It says wives should honor their husbands, then goes on to say husbands should love their wives as Christ loves the church and was willing to give his life for it. So wives are to honor husbands, and husbands should love their wives so much that they are willing to die for them. Cameron said both parties have to do their part for a successful marriage. What's wrong with that?

Reactions: Tomorrow

mildocjr

macrumors 65816
You must not have read that part of the Bible. It says wives should honor their husbands, then goes on to say husbands should love their wives as Christ loves the church and was willing to give his life for it. So wives are to honor husbands, and husbands should love their wives so much that they are willing to die for them. Cameron said both parties have to do their part for a successful marriage. What's wrong with that?
The fact that he said wives should honor their husbands. End of statement. Sounds chauvinistic to me.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
The fact that he said wives should honor their husbands. End of statement. Sounds chauvinistic to me.
That wasn't the end of his statement, nor the beginning. Still, not sure why that comment is inherently a bad thing. If you look at the source, which still isn't a transcript, his comments seem to be directed at the idea that people need to focus on their role in a relationship, and what they are doing - not looking to direct the behavior of their partner.

Cameron stated that husband's are "to love their wives and not to tell their wives that they need to submit to them," and added that wives are to respect and follow their husband's lead.

"Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband's lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband," Cameron explained. "When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage."
That ET focused on wives should honor and ignored the rest isn't surprising. Cameron isn't one I see eye to eye with, but telling people to look at how you approach the marriage rather than focusing on the failings of your partner is advice we should all heed.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cameron isn't one I see eye to eye with, but telling people to look at how you approach the marriage rather than focusing on the failings of your partner is advice we should all heed.
Yep, in the marriage ministry I'm a part of we have a motto/principle that emphasizes this point. "Draw a circle around yourself and work on the person in the circle". We can't control our partners, we can only control ourselves. Focus on being the spouse God intended you to be and how you can best serve and love your partner.

Reactions: mildocjr