knock Knock.. Voting time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Sep 26, 2018.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I was doing some work at home when a guy knocked on my door. Asked me if I was a Republican or Democrat. The man was an elderly man but a very very friendly elderly man. I told him whether I was a Democrat or Republican it does not look like Trump will be leaving or things will be changing any time soon. I said you know who wants him in office and whom he can't piss off. He said to me I am Jewish and against Trump and his policies. I am also an activist in many Jewish Organizations for peace. He said I want everyone to vote Democrat and will be going door to door to get everyone to get out there and vote Democrat. This elderly man had quite a bit of humor and had a lot to say. He then said not all Jews are Republicans and not all Jews support Trump and his policies.

This Trump sure does have a lot of people worked up going door to door. He asked me if I wanted to help him and go door to door to get people to vote. I said I am sorry but I really don't have the time to do so. I also told him that I reckon no matter how many people laugh at him and how many people vote for the other party I doubt he is going any where after he declared Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel. After this gift to them their gift to him is 8 years in office. He can do anything he wants but piss one party off. That is pretty much the only red line he has while he is in office. Last night I was at my uncle's house and someone knocked on his door as well to ask if they were voting Democrat for this upcoming election. A lot of people knocking on doors these days trying to get everyone to vote Democrat.

The funny part that hit me was I thought Political Forum from MacRumors came knocking on my door lol.. At first I thought it was a guy out to sell something but then realized people are going door to door with Politics now lol. The old days it was a Mormon or salesman but when I saw him he was not on a bicycle or look like a Mormon.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You were unaware of canvassing prior to this? It's not new.

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Your anti-Israel opinions are well known here. But sometime I think you go over the line with statements like this implying that one ethnic group (and we know who that is) is pulling the puppet strings on the president of the U.S. It smacks of distasteful conspiracy theories and your surprise reaction to the guy at your door implies that you thought all representatives of his religion think in one uniform way.

4. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Agreed. I'm a Catholic Democrat. My entire family, actually, are Catholic Democrats. There are also people in my family who are Jewish and Democrats. To the OP, you shouldn't make assumptions about people based on ethnicity, religion, etc.

5. stylinexpat, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

No one ever said that Democrats and Republicans belong to one religion. There are Muslim Democrats,Muslim Republicans, Christian republicans,Christian Democrats,Jewish Democrats,Jewish Republicans and the list goes on. There is nothing wrong with discussing the political preferences of each group of people. In fact during elections we often see polls telling us how certain groups of people voted.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    Nothing wrong with calling out whom one thinks whom may be pulling the strings or whom may be backers. Political parties due this all the time. This week Trump said China was behind election meddling. Government has also said Russia was behind meddling. This is politics calling out whom may be behind political meddling is fine. In the past Netanyahu accused the Obama administration of being behind the meddling behind his elections and party. For it to be ok for one side or some to voice their opinion but not ok for others is BS.. In a Democratic country each person or party should be free to speak of which party supports whom and which party may be meddling.

It also is not a distasteful conspiracy theory when Netanyahu has admitted this in the media.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-re...el-convinced-trump-to-quit-iran-nuclear-deal/

Here it is in the local Israeli media too..(This is no distasteful conspiracy theory but a fact that was mentioned in the news).

https://thehill.com/policy/internat...video-shows-netanyahu-claiming-responsibility

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

So one government leader said he convinced another one to do something. There's nothing wrong with that. That's not meddling or pulling puppet strings or evidence of some conspiracy. And probably a lot of that was just Netanyahu boasting to his base. Do you really think if Trump wanted to remain in the Iran deal he would not do so on orders of Netanyahu?

7. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

That's called meddling my friend. You could call it convincing. If you "had" to give me billions of dollars every year I would have to have some sort of influence over your decisions and if hundreds of millions of Dollars came my way to support me that money would not have come were my decisions not in line with your expectations. When certain parties support some one with money and political support that is usually because you are expected to make decisions in favor of their interests. By the way, this goes for any party (not any party in particular). Quite often this is the same in other countries as well so I am not signaling out any one party here. This is the same in other countries as well;)

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

True....but replace Bibi with Putin have you have the mainstream narrative and mindset of most of the democratic party, no?

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

No. Just because someone implies one world leader is Trump's master doesn't eliminate the possibility that another world leader actually is one. Just because Trump may never criticize Netanyahu doesn't mean his lack of any criticism of Putin is innocent.

Unlike with Israel, Trump has a lot of personal baggage with Russia - according to both Trump sons Russia provided substantial funding to the Trump Organization when banks stopped giving it loans. Trump has outright lied about having such financial dealings with Russia. Then there's the notorious Trump Tower meeting with Russians to explore colluding to gain advantage in the 2016 election, again something Trump lied about. I could go on.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2018 ---
    It's wrong to attribute a motivation or bias to a whole religious or ethnic group. To say Netanyahu is pulling Trump's strings is one thing, which can be debated, but to assume all members of a religious group are backers of a particular policy is another.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I just find it funny that people seem to think that Russian oligarchs answer to Putin unlike American oligarchs whom answer to no one (that’s kind of the point of oligarchy). The thing about Trump is he could and should have been brought down years (decades ago really) ago for his massive money laundering operations (that’s all he’s ever been). Instead of going after him for the easily proveable crimes he’s committed we get a massively complex narrative that furthers the EXPLICIT (our doctrine is literally one of great power conflict) geopolitical goal of alienating Russia as we’ve continued to strangle their economy and amass weapons on their borders. Yes he’s tied up with Russian mobsters, just as he is with many different shady characters. The thing that gives this all away for those paying attention is that the sanctions and encircling of Russia with weaponry has continued unabated and even increased in this Administration.

I have no love for the Russian state, but I also have no love for the crumbling American empire in its last gasps of trying to assert itself as the global economic and military hegemon.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Please explain the actual reason why billions of dollars has to be given each year.

12. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I never said "ALL". We all know and I know that one should never say "ALL" because it is not always that "ALL" are always backers of a particular policy but when a leader and their government party back such policy it should be be perfectly fine to address this although it is never ok to paint with a broad brush.

As for financial dealings Kushner and others have a lot with Israel as well and there is plenty of conflicts of interest there as well. I have no doubt about what you said about Trump and Russia but there is just as much financial interests via Israel as well.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2018 ---
    I think you know the answer to that one. That question opens a bag of what one could call conspiracy theories up. Trump cut a lot of aid to a lot of countries and all aid could be cut except to one. In fact as all got cut, one got an increase. What Netanyahu has said in the past and what others have said in the past speaks for its self. Others have spoken themselves. The news reports and videos speak for themselves from what Netanyahu and other government officials have said themselves.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You guys are way overusing the word whom to try to sound elite. If you're not sure, don't use it.

Back to your squabbling.

14. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

What is the answer to that one?

15. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Mormon’s at your door are very polite salesmen! Hey why have I seen no girl Mormons at my door? :)

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Which is what warhawk John Bolton dreams of. To re-instate American military global hegemony. To regime change any nation that dares to challenge US hegemony.

Bolton is in the Administration because Trump and the GOP welcomes his type.

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Well, exactly. This administration is looking to be far more overtly aggressive, but this policy network is thoroughly imbedded in both parties and the think tanks/consultants that they listen to. Bill Kristol is actively working to produce a viable Democratic presidential candidate that will follow the same policies as we speak. This has been constant since the end of WWII, but it’s ramped up dramatically since Reagan. When it comes to military policy there is only one party with two wings. The only difference is their views in *how* to achieve certain ends, but they’re all cool with toppling governments and waging wars around the world for no defensive reason whatsoever.

19. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

When attacked and you have to defend your self then one could say at war for self defense which is justified. Going to war to topple other governments though for your own personal beliefs or agendas is another story though.

20. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Well, I was asking for your answer but since you appear to be reluctant to give it, I will not continue with this thread. Have a nice day.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

To whom would you be referring?:p

22. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

If you ask me, “I will telll you that there is an intimidation and shame policy in place.”
    Would you say that no intimidation policy is in place against all those that oppose AIPAC’s,Netanyahu’s or his party’s policies?
    Below is a reminder to that question.

A brief recent reminder of what Nikki and Trump said “We will be taking and writing down names”..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ki-haley-taking-names-on-jerusalem/index.html
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    It’s either Baghdad Bob in the picture or where his finger is pointed at. “Whom” depends on “Whom” you believe
    F5C9476F-B911-41D0-B1EE-93A9009D9824.jpeg

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Actually, there is a difference between the "Two Parties" in their approach to this so-called… warmongering.

The difference is that the Democrats actually want to give peace a chance, every so often. The GOP never wants to give peace a chance, it's always war war war war war and maybe peace will come after millions of dark-skinned enemies are annihilated.

Bill Clinton: nearly achieved peace between Israel and Palestinians (i.e. Camp David peace talks). Only to be thwarted by Israelis and Palestinians themselves.

Obama: made the best effort to diplomatically deter Iranian nuclear ambitions. Only to be reversed by the stupid Trump.

24. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

25. NT1440, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

How many kids did Clinton kill in Iraq? Half a ****ing million. “Worth it” in his administration’s eyes.

Obama ramped up the murder drone program to levels never touched by Bush. Also turned Libya into a land where literal slavery has returned.

You can narrow the scope all you want, America has gotten more militaristic and craven regardless of the party in the White House as time passes.