Known screen flicker issues on 10.14.6 Beta?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by quenix, Jul 17, 2019.

1. quenix macrumors newbie

I bought my machine—a MacBook Pro 13' 2019 (May)—around a month ago. For the last two days, there has been an on-and-off screen flickering issue where a band of static appears for around 1/4th of a second at the same place on the screen. I am unable to reproduce it by physically moving the screen. It seems to happen randomly—here is a mockup of what it looks like: [​IMG]

I'm having a hard time believing a one month-old machine has a faulty display. I updated to Mojave 10.14.6 at around the same time. Does it have any known GPU/screen flicker issues or do I really need to take this to an Apple store?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

If that's the exact version you're running, you're not on the latest 10.14.6 beta, so try updating to that.

3. quenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but what do you mean? About this Mac returns "10.14.6 Beta". Is it the build number that's old? I was not aware there were there two versions of 10.14.6...

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Current 10.14.6 beta is build 18G78a

Another step for you to try would be to go back to the non-beta 10.14.5
    There's very little problems that might cause. All you need to do is boot to the current Mojave installer, and reinstall macOS. That will take you back to that system version.

Does your MBPro pass Diagnostics?

5. quenix thread starter macrumors newbie

It does indeed pass Diagnostics. I'll try going back to non-beta. Do you think it's possible for beta software to cause these screen glitches?

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

There's always a risk of unknown problems, or bugs, etc with software that is still being tested.

Can a 1 month old display fail? Sure, and you have a warranty that would cover hardware failures.
    But, your issue, IMHO, is more likely the graphics chip.
    Could also be a RAM issue, or maybe just a poor connection from the logic board to the display panel.
    I suppose it could also be related to the "multi-talented" T2 chip

There's almost nothing that you can do, if it is a hardware failure of some kind - except to watch if that gets worse - or you might come across a way to reproduce that issue.
    Call AppleCare, find out what Apple has to tell you. (I bet the first step would be to back off of the beta :cool: )

7. bbnck macrumors 6502a

Maybe the first suggestion people should be putting across is to submit feedback to Apple via Feedback Assistant. It is beta software.

8. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Actually as of this date, there are three.

Lou

9. nostodnayr macrumors regular

nostodnayr

I’ve seen this on my 13" 2018 MacBook Pro on all builds of Mojave. Since about 10.14.3 it stopped happening frequently. However since installing 10.14.6 it’s back and I’m seeing it several times a day.