Knoxville — man opens fire in "liberal" church

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Iscariot, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

From a Knoxville local paper:

Full story

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

What, no Coulter? What kind of nutty nut is this guy?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It'll be interesting to see what the wingnuts' reactions are.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A total and complete nut job is what this guy is.

5. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Kick him sqwua... in the nyuz!

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Here's a link to a very thoughtful article on this subject that says that even though this man was clearly crazy, the right-wing pundits that he read are nevertheless partially responsible.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Something like this has been coming for a while. I'm sure the wingnuts won't give a crap. I'm sure they're quietly celebrating. My prediction is that they'll act all indignant in public or say nothing. These people are all for war and violence anyway.

8. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

As a note towards the reading list, I felt I should point out O'Reilly's repeated fingering of rap music and video games for inspiring violence.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope it's nothing like this.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not knowing anything more about this man's background I'd guess his actions has more to do with mental illness than his political persuasion.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course, that has been already pointed out. But as Iscariot said, the wingnuts can't have it both ways.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Tell me why the "wingnuts" would be glad this happened. This whole situation is terrible. Anyone wishing the "wingnuts" to be in a moral/political conundrum over this must be a "*******". :)

13. Queso macrumors G4

Lee, that's exactly the sort of partisan nonsense that the USA needs to put behind it or more incidents of this type will occur. People in America seem to have forgotten that it's ok to disagree with someone politically. It doesn't have to turn into a fistfight.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Read the link in Kashchei's post. It says it all. ;)

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm having trouble lifting my finger, leek. Plus I have to work. :D

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And I'm home sick with shingles. I'd rather be at work.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

From what I read, it seemed to be mostly denial. Especially on Malkins page. The comment section seems to be most of them saying it wasn't because the church was liberal or gay friendly. Partially true, since it was more about it being his exes old church, which apparently some of them didn't know. But he made it clear he was anti anything different - blacks, gays, immigrants, liberals - and that was a group he knew that was against what he believed. Especially if one looks at the book he had by Michael Savage. Of course they ignored that most of the people whose books he read had no problem blaming things like violent movies and music for influencing real life violence, while they clearly (and ironically) have no problem inciting hatred and doing the same, if not worse, legitimizing of violent feelings.

One even said they thought he wasn't really a conservative nor religious, and was actually just wanting to make them look bad, using the fact that he was on foodstamps as proof. Because we all know only liberals are on foodstamps. Though yes, it is also ironic that he was so against liberals and pissed about losing his foodstamps, and his poor economic situation, when liberal got him those foodstamps in the first place, and the actions of the current GOP (and former Congress that this Congress has yet to fix with this administration) that not only reduced those benefits, and cut money for mental healthcare, and whose actions haven't exactly helped the current economy.

Who said anything about being glad? It is a terrible situation. And yes, there are wackos on all sides of the political spectrum. But some were curious about their reaction when one of their own did something like this. We now have it, and it's exactly as you'd think.

Those same types who rail about violent media have no problem inciting hatred against gays, immigrants, Muslims, the media, liberals, and anyone else they can scapegoat, then being surprised or even denying when someone acts on that hatred.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I believe Obeygiant was referring to Lee's post here:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He was- and I stand by my post.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I misread that, but they weren't celebrating. Maybe quietly some of the more extreme ones were thinking that it was good that there were more "liberals" gone. But as I said, all I saw was denial. Especially on Malkin's site.

And article about this I found interesting:

Didn’t we shred the Constitution so The Decider could keep us safe from him?
    Wondering where that liberal media is. If this was the other way around, can't help thinking the other side would be going nuts. Can't even imagine if this was a Muslim. But it's just 1 lone nut, so all is forgotten.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like a terrorist to me.

If he'd firebombed scientists doing research on animals he'd have gotten labeled as such. Because he shot up a church full of liberals he's just a nutcase.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I hope they convict his driver. :rolleyes: