Kobe Bryant gets complaints from Gay Rights Group

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AFPoster, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Here is the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...omplains-as-Kobe-is-caught-usi?urn=nba-wp1277

It seems Kobe used to word "******" at a ref. Honestly it seems the "gay community" takes things way out of proportion and needs to relax a little, even if he is a celebrity the gay community needs to chill.

We (the general public) are tightening up the "gay slur" leash a little to tight. I know I use the word ****** or thats gay when I do things, even if I look at a pink motorcycle I'm like that's gay. It has nothing to do with gays in general, so why flip out over it?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We flip out because we're tired of words that are used to describe us also used to describe anything that's seen as bad, weak or negative. If you used that six letter word around me, I'd probably clock you. You wouldn't the N word around a black person, so why do you think it's OK to use the F word?

BTW- Bryant apologized. So all is good.

3. shingi70 macrumors regular

Oh silly gays when will you learn. ;)but yeah if a white person called me a n word i'd be mad so the same applies here. I'd be pissed if someone called me a bundle of stocks. :D

4. shingi70 macrumors regular

Inever said the use if the word was good. Im just saying that just as they're complaining that a non gay used the word im saying that saying the n word is bad no mattter the race.

where did i infer that blacks using the word was acceptable?

5. shingi70 macrumors regular

Sorry for the confusion i wsd trying to compsre it to a straight person using the f word as a racist would use the n word.

6. 184550 Guest

I agree.

So violence is an acceptable solution? So I can beat Gay persons up (Don't twist this analogy, I've stated numerous times on this board, I'm all for Gay rights), I just can't, in their opinion, verbally insult them? :rolleyes:

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If a white person called you the N word, you should be examining your tolerance in their ignorance as well as their ignorance. You shouldn't be so quick to react, because they are looking for that reaction out of you; that is why they call you it. It could be said that you are living up to the slur that you are being called.

Disclaimer: I'm also Black. I don't let the word get to me because it empowers them if I show any reaction to it that doesn't benefit me.

Back on topic though.. the F word.. what were to happen if you were overseas (the UK, for example), and someone uses the F word while drawing a puff from the Camel or Marlboro in their mouth. Would you be so quick to judge and react then?

BL.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Man, this guy is so classy. He should be everyone's hero.

9. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I do believe, I and a whole bunch of friends and other ppl have used that F word at ppl that are clearly not gay. It's just colloquial and doesn't have anything to do with homosexuality. Maybe in a "small" way (i.e. "Don't be a F"), in some cases it's supposed to imply that you are "scared like a girl (or a guy who thinks he is a girl...who presumably will be scared like one)" in some sense. But that's just it.

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Right. And when my white friends and I call each other the "N" word, it's just a figure of speech we use to describe each other's bitchin' sun tan. We don't mean anything by it. It's not racist or anything... :rolleyes:

11. Liquorpuki, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011

Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Well I like Kobe and I'm watching the Lakers / Kings game right now

It's just one of those words that shouldn't be said regardless, even if it's institutionalized like you said. I listened to ESPN radio earlier, and Kobe called in and tried to explain himself in a way that I thought was apologetic and satisfactory.

12. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

When did fruity become a homophobic slur, I thought it was a synonym with gay

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

:D:D:D:D I literally just LOL'd.

14. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Well in that case, there's a clear line that a non-black person doesn't say that to a black person. It's not like the referee had an "I'm Gay" sticker on his shirt.

I mean, what about saying..."omg...that is sooo gay" when describing a non-cool object or situation. Is that "gay bashing" too? I mean, this is getting to such a point where you can say anything that "might" offend some overlysensitive person...becomes a racist, sexual harrassment, hate, etc offense. I mean, some things are understood to be coloquial amoung pop culture.

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Let me say this first, I hate Kobe Bryant. However, he can say whatever he wants. I have nothing against gays but who cares what he said. Yes it was on national TV so that does create a little problem but I think the thing is just blown up too big. He can say and think whatever he wants. I hate him though.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

A homophobe, a rapist and a black guy walk into a bar... everyone says "hi, Kobe."

17. redshift1 macrumors regular

I don't care for Kobe but when your body is producing adrenaline and endorphins your behavior changes. Very common in basketball and football
    to hear every possible slur imaginable.

18. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I wish people would invest more into buying thesauruses. Did you know there are nearly 120 different alternative words for 'stupid'? And none of them are 'gay'. :)

19. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I hear what you are saying, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that I'm not guilty of the same things. I've been using "gay" as a negative adjective for 30 years, like a lot of other people. But every time I do it, I think of what my very close gay friends would say about me using it that way. Whether they specifically would be offended by it is one thing, but the point is that it just isn't right to commandeer that word and use it as an insult or detractor when there really is no reason that it should be.

In this case, maybe you, me, and all of us need to work on changing pop culture and getting it out of a grade-school mentality. As long as Kobe was fined because he did a piss-poor job of acting professionally and as a role model rather than just "hurting the ref's feelings," that's a start.

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Where it gets interesting is that "gay" as a descriptor came into fashion when "queer" was deemed too possibly offensive. I wouldn't be surprised, if we were to move past "gay" as a parallel pejorative, some other word would pop up to take its place.

Pop culture has that lowest common denominator appeal about it; that's why it's popular. Good luck on raising that bar. But let's not kid ourselves here - he was fined for PC reasons, albeit trivially so given the size of his paychecks. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing half of the NBA tripping over themselves to issue statements and apologies and conduct investigations.

21. leekohler, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please tell me why you find it acceptable to use homophobic slurs.

I have been physically assaulted in the past by straight people using those slurs. I have received death threats as well. You have no idea what that is like, not one ****ing clue. Get over yourself. Anyone who calls me ****** is gonna get a very firm talking to. If they continue, worse. Sorry if you don't like that, but I'm not going to put up with it. I will defend myself against such people. Again, why do you find the use of homophobic slurs acceptable?

Also, would you use the N word in the presence of a black person and not expect a negative reaction? Why do you think we should be any different?

22. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Just do what we do in the UK in our sports games and call the referee a wanker.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

We would if that word weren't so gay.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would just be a matter of time until Masturbation-Americans claim the word as their own. ;)

25. ender land macrumors 6502a

You know, leekohler, I'd find this crusade you have to get respect for gay rights a lot more persuasive if you didn't make snide and deriding comments about republicans and Christians on a regular basis.

Seeing someone so passionate about respect yet so blatantly not exhibiting it himself towards other groups undermines this position so badly I am actually going to ask you to stop one of the two. Please stop either
    1. crusading for gay rights
    2. deriding Christians, Republicans, and religious people constantly

I support gay rights. Calling people things like the "f" word or calling things "gay" are things I do not support nor partake in myself. But people like you make me wonder whether this support is even warranted. I question "do these people really care about the issues at hand or are they just trying to make political points?" It says to me "we actually don't care about the respect part of gay rights." I realize you not representative of the entire gay-rights community (thankfully), but the disrespect you show others while simultaneously demanding and crusading for respect for people like yourself makes me much less supportive of your entire crusade.

It reminds me of the atheists on campus who regularly come out to oppose evangelical speakers - they can and often do make solid points but almost always throw away their entire credibility to observers when they are blatantly hostile, disrespectful, and act like *******s throughout the entire discussion.