Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I don't use Kodak Easy Share, but the only thing about iPhoto that I wish Apple would add is the ability to select the pictures to be imported from your camera. Please Apple???

JOD8FY

BryanOz

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2004
iPhoto vs Kodak Easyshare

Hi Frisco,
below is a post of mine on a similar forum, where I have been looking for feedback on the 2 programmes.
1 serious flaw in iPhoto is it doesn't import your little Quicktime movies at all, Easyshare does.
This is to me a big let down as all our new Digi cams boast this feature, my camera could film about 8 mins of vid including sound (crappy as it is), memory permitting etc but iPhoto just ignores these files.
Upshot of this, too bad if you just happen to delete all from your camera to make room for more pics, Dude Where's My Videos?

Another few positives with Easyshare:
•it's free
•handles huge amounts of files, sure the thumbnalis are low quality, but it imports very well
•organizes according to the day you shoot the pics
•does a great job of red eye
• very easy to use editing, cropping, emailing , sharing
• Burning to Cd etc is simple and keeps the same folders set up as in the programme

In iPhoto's favour:
the intergration with all the iLife apps is superb, for making a movie with a soundtrack of your pics this is absolutely amazing and using iDvd also gives you so much more scope.

Maybe I sound a bit contradictory, but, I have been using the progs for years and at one stage removed iPhoto completely from my hard drive, now with this whole package it has given me a new appreciation for it.

BUT, and again a big BUT, iPhoto doesn't import vids.
I have sent a lengthy protest letter to Apple about this, asking for the developers to update it, it doesn't need any fancy editing tools for the imported vids, this is what iMovie is about.

Hope I have been of some help from my neck of the woods.

BryanOz said:
I have had a dream run with Easyshare for over a year now, same version now for that long.
I also use iPhoto, it's intergration with iMovie is superb, but as a comment to all the hassles with slow and sluggishness with iPhoto I have to agree and the crazy way it creates folders, sub folders and data files etc, whereas Kodak's Easyshare just keeps putting your images into dated folders; from whatever source, camera, CD's etc .

I suppose Kodak have a more vested interest in you being able to find, file and organize your pics especially for printing either home, via online or their stores.

Even though I have a new iMac flat screen, my advice is to work on these programmes on their own, they are power and memory hungry apps.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Picasa

If anyone has visited the Google mainpage in a while you've noticed there are offering Picasa from the company they just acquired.

Honestly, I prefer Picasa to iPhoto now. It's nicely layed out.

I suggest any PC user look into it because it's free, and well done.

Even lets you order a photo album online just like iPhoto.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Image Capture imports vids. iPhoto doesn't because it isn't set up to. And if iPhoto supported video import, people would use it to organize video - which should be in a separate app not iPhoto. Also what thumbnail would it use? I doubt the first frame could tell you anything. iPhoto is set up so that the names of the pictures doesn't matter. iPhoto 4 is plenty fast for me. My mom used easy share on her PC and it is a bane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.