Kofi Annan - former Secretary General of the UN - dies aged 80

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Scepticalscribe, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just saw the that the death - at the age of 80, after a short illness - has been announced of Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the UN, statesman, diplomat, and lifelong proponent of the merits and persuasiveness of 'soft power'.

An impressive and dignified man and deeply respected individual.

2. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

East Africa (Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda etc) has a strongly different (and in my opinion much more accurate) opinion of the man who handled the genocide so poorly.
    -Tig

3. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair comment; there were grotesquely serious lapses during his tenure as well, mostly to do with African matters.

Actually, I meant to take a look at what the Kenyan media had to say about him - as Kenya has an unusually well informed and relatively free press.

4. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Its funny when I was in Arusha for my Honeymoon, our guides took us by the International Tribunal Court for Rwanda which the UN built there, and talked how Kofi would never show up there because the Tanzanian's would catch him and put him on trial in the building he had built for them. Later I think Kofi did actually go, but that was definitely the thoughts going on early 2000's. I will say that though I am a huge critic because that part of Africa is near and dear to me, that Kofi is one of those people (I put Jimmy Carter in the same group) who doesn't believe in evil. Noone is "bad" they are misunderstood, or don't understand the real issues. For 90+% of the people thats probably true. But you have Idi Amin who very likely ate the child of a man who betrayed him or Mengele and the rest of his crazed Nazi experimenters the folks behind the Rwanda massacre etc who just are evil, explaining they need to be good doesnt really work for them. Coming after the Somalia debacle the death of the Belgians just had the Security Council and the UN all tied in knots and suddenly we have 800,000 dead, and its not today's day of social media and cell phones, there was no idea how bad it was until it was over. Sorry I have kinda dragged your thread into a darker place then it probably needs to be.
    -Tig

5. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

@Tigger11: Please, paragraphs, and breaks.

I don't disagree with what you are saying (or trying to say, although it is not entirely clear) - but, please, for middle aged eyes behind generous lenses, please, give us paragraphs.

Otherwise, your post is terribly hard to read.

6. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A good - and balanced and fair, obit of Kofi Annan was published in today's edition of The Guardian; well worth a look.

7. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for sharing that, it was a well done obit.

Its funny I read the Massacre report from the UN this weekend and realized that Kofi had ordered the investigation that lead to the report. It takes a pretty big person to set part of your team on writing a report about a large mistake you have lots to do with, but he did it probably for the reason he said. I hope the UN never allows such a thing to happen again. Honestly we need more politicians like him (and McCain who we lost yesterday) then the clowns who currently are running things.
    -Tig

PS Sorry about the crazy post on Friday.