Ku Kia'i Mauna

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kapolani, Jul 31, 2019.

1. kapolani macrumors 6502

Curious what you all think about the protests in Hawaii.

On one side you have an indigenous people who are tired of foreigners coming in and desecrating their natural resources.

On the other, big money hiding behind science to continue the mistreatment of the islands natural and spiritual resources.

Are the Hawaiians racist for telling big money to 'go back' to where you're from?

The people are protecting their land and culture from further denigration and plundering of their culture.

My family has kuleana for the mauna so many are on Mauna Kea protesting.

#KuKiaiMauna

2. LordVic, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2019

LordVic macrumors 603

Do you have a link to a story regarding this? It's the first I've heard of anything going on in Hawaii and i'm curious to read up on it.

3. PracticalMac, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Link says "More than 13,000 acres of land was leased to UH"

What does the agreement say?

As to being on Mona Kea, as long as the facilities are clean and respect heritage those telescopes are a good thing (tm).
    Mona Kea is a gift for all. We can see the stars and Hawaii gains jobs and income.

4. kapolani thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the agreement wasn't agreed upon by the Native Hawaiians. The agreement was decided upon people that illegally occupy the island. If that is the perspective of the people then the agreement is unlawful and moot.

The facilities are not clean. Conservation measures have not been taken. There has been desecration of sacred heiau (temples), illegal dumping of hazardous waste, and building beyond what was agreed upon.

There are no jobs for the Hawaiian people. The jobs are for the foreigners that have illegally occupied the island.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Then it sounds like there is excellent reason to challenge the situations.

6. LordVic, Jul 31, 2019

LordVic macrumors 603

Thanks.

And yeah, I don't use facebook anymore,

Just want to address some questions in your post though:

Curious what you all think about the protests in Hawaii.

Still considering it. I am always for peaceful protest and ones right to expression. I do not have the knowledge yet to "pick a side".

On one side you have an indigenous people who are tired of foreigners coming in and desecrating their natural resources.

On the other, big money hiding behind science to continue the mistreatment of the islands natural and spiritual resources.

This is important context that I think relates directly to your question below in whether it's "racist" or not.

Are the Hawaiians racist for telling big money to 'go back' to where you're from?

No. as it sounds, the reason they are saying "go back" is not because they are a particular race or colour, but because of their behaviour towards the lands. If they were other Hawaiian natives performing the same acts, They would likely also be protesting it as well. This is where context matters.

The people are protecting their land and culture from further denigration and plundering of their culture.

IMHO, Noble cause. Canada has a very disgusting history of doing this to our natives. My Family is 2nd generation immigrant. Canada is amazing and for me, the only place I ever wish to live. But its important and I cannot ignore that this country did so by crushing under it's feet then native population who lived here before.

My family has kuleana for the mauna so many are on Mauna Kea protesting.

This is interesting, and I love hearing about others cultures. We all have histories and stories of our familiar and culture. And they vary and are so wide and interesting. There are literally thousands of lifetimes worth of stories to hear and everyones is different. The more we share, I hope the more we learn to love and accept eachother. And the more we can respect eachother's heritages.

7. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

What’s the protests about?, environmental?

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You talk of illegal occupiers and foreigners, and Native Hawaiians. The problems is that really you're talking about early and late settlers, and largely both groups have equal status now as US citizens.

In any case, I don't see how telescopes peering into the heavens is in any way violating the sanctity of the mountain. It's not like astronomers run around like drunken louts trashing the place. What did the environmental impact report say?

9. LordVic macrumors 603

just reading up on now. I can kind of see the issue.

from the link provided:

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, if the observatories are indeed trashing the place, then that is another matter - an environmental one, not one that has to do with early settlers having privileged rights over late settlers. Appalled that fellow scientists would be so sloppy about the environment. However, how have observatories 'stripped resources'? It's not like they're mining for uranium. Hyperbole won't help the case.

11. jerwin, Jul 31, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

For a variety of physical reasons, the Hawaian mountain of Mauna Kea, is scientifically speaking, the best site in the northern hemisphere for telescopes. So, astronomers have sited about a dozen telescopes, including the proposed "Thirty Meter Telescope" at the summit of Mauna Kea. If your default answer to this problem "put it in space", perhaps you need to reaquaint yourself with the metric system.

However, Mauna Kea, as a natural landform has cultural and religious significance for Native Hawaians, and the use of the mountain for astronomical research has long irked Hawaiian nationalists. Construction of the telescope was due to resume in mid July, after a lengthy courtfight, and there are protests.

12. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

They did this to the native Americans in Arizona, the Vatican put the Lucifer telescope there, I think they should leave the mountain alone.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

14. jerwin macrumors 68020

Sounds like you might enjoy this game

15. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Looks a little like Lovecraft, is it for iPad?

16. jerwin, Jul 31, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

mac windows, possibly linux. But I haven't seen it for ipad. Wasn't looking, though

17. kapolani thread starter macrumors 6502

I love walls.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    I have read recently that Mt Rushmore was put on a mountain that had similar meaning to the local tribes.

How about that kick to the balls, eh? Let me rape, pillage, and plunder your people. Force you to live in an area not of your choosing and then pissing and crapping all over your sacred areas.

Wonder how people would feel if I built a Heiau on top of Arlington Cemetary?

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

According to new US law as long as there are a handful of Jewish employees then there is no such thing is illegally occupied or used land and suggesting so is antisemitic. FACT.

Native Hawaiians should just go back to a little to the left of where they came from!