Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be making several changes to the suppliers of its products in 2020, according to reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

airpods-pro-opposite-apple-watch-series-5-800x365.jpg

For starters, Kuo expects Chinese company Goertek to begin assembly of AirPods Pro in the first half of the year. The addition of a second supplier alongside Luxshare Precision should help improve supply of the popular earphones, which continue to face multi-week shipping estimates on Apple.com.

Luxshare itself will replace Quanta Computer as the exclusive manufacturer and supplier of S-series chips for the new Apple Watch in 2020, aka Series 6 models if Apple sticks with its naming trend, Kuo added.

And last, Kuo expects Chinese manufacturer BYD Electronic to replace Quanta Computer as the sole assembler of the iPod touch in 2020, as well as obtain at least 10-20 percent of non-cellular iPad orders. Naturally, if this goes well, the company is expected to receive an even larger percentage of orders in 2021 and beyond.

Kuo outlined these details in a research note with investment firm TF International Securities, seen by MacRumors.

Article Link: Kuo: AirPods Pro, Apple Watch Series 6, and iPod Touch Getting New Suppliers in 2020

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So Mr. Kuo, any clearer info on iPad Pro release timing?

Is Quanta Being kicked to the curb? If so, why?

Reactions: tongxinshe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Quanta discontinuing their production for the Apple Watch was reportedly due to ‘profit concerns’ (See link below), which was initially reported back in October. There’s nothing wrong with having another supplier for the Apple Watch, hopefully it still meet/exceeds the quality of Quanta with Luxshare taking over.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm more curious to know where the updates to these products are:

1.) The iPad Pro
2.) The iPod Touch (they really need to make it the size of the iPhone Xs Max (or 11 or whatever)
3.) A true iPad Mini Pro (with the same curved edges and Pencil support as the Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayUltimate

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Honest question: does anybody outside of Apple, the suppliers and perhaps Wall Street analysts care about which supplier Apple is using for a certain product or product component? I never understood why rumor sites considered these stories newsworthy.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Honest question: does anybody outside of Apple, the suppliers and perhaps Wall Street analysts care about which supplier Apple is using for a certain product or product component? I never understood why rumor sites considered these stories newsworthy.
Qualcomm vs Intel was a pretty important one people were concerned about. Also, Samsung vs TSMC.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Perhaps the Chinese ordered Apple to ditch Quanta and this is the face-saving way to announce the split?

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo

I suppose it’s because it IDs the potential manufacturer who can leak confidential specs to the knock-off and rumor markets.

Reactions: Sasparilla

pray2crom

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
apple watch series 6 huh? Maybe I will wait for series 7 and ditch my series 2?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It's certainly interesting to watch. Chinese suppliers have long beat out U.S. and Japanese counterparts and now they're beating even Taiwanese firms.

For a new product launch, Apple usually goes to Foxconn, Quanta, or Inventec first and then slowly adds second suppliers. Starting with AirPods/Pro and Watch S6, they've gone Luxshare-ICT on day one. It shows Apple trusts Chinese suppliers and engineering.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
am I the only one surprised they still make iPod touch?

I'd be surprised if Apple dropped iPod any time soon. It's a $199 gateway device into the App Store and an obvious on-ramp to an iPhone purchase down the road.

Reactions: citysnaps

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm more curious to know where the updates to these products are:

1.) The iPad Pro
2.) The iPod Touch (they really need to make it the size of the iPhone Xs Max (or 11 or whatever)
3.) A true iPad Mini Pro (with the same curved edges and Pencil support as the Pro.
Kuo rumored iPad Pro for 3Q2020. iPod Touch is unlikely to be updated again for another few years, it was just updated about six months ago. I’d also like an iPad mini Pro but I can’t imagine there would be sufficient demand to support a third Pro model.
[automerge]1578000541[/automerge]
New Airpods pro already?
Where did you hear that rumor? I wouldn’t expect a refresh for a couple years, they were just released.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Kuo rumored iPad Pro for 3Q2020. iPod Touch is unlikely to be updated again for another few years, it was just updated about six months ago. I’d also like an iPad mini Pro but I can’t imagine there would be sufficient demand to support a third Pro model.

Where did you hear that rumor? I wouldn’t expect a refresh for a couple years, they were just released.

Maybe I read the article wrong.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
Instead of shifting away from China and diversifying, Apple doubles down on it. China has Apple by the balls and it’s getting more and more concerning. It’s time for Tim to go. The “supply chain genius” does not seem to consider the longterm consequences.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Instead of shifting away from China and diversifying, Apple doubles down on it. China has Apple by the balls and it’s getting more and more concerning. It’s time for Tim to go. The “supply chain genius” does not seem to consider the longterm consequences.
I’m sure Apple appreciates your concern, but they’ll be ok. Cook probably only has another two or three decades of tenure so when he decides to leave, they may indeed feel the loss of his supply chain expertise.

But someone else will probably be available to take over Jeff Williams’s spot and the supply chain experts reporting to him

Reactions: I7guy and mech986

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

I would be surprised if there wasn’t a minor update later this year. Maybe the addition of black or space gray?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.