Kuo: Apple's AR Headset to Launch in Second Quarter of 2020

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What are the use cases of this hypothetical device for the average consumer? I don’t see anything I’d use them for.
Wait and see, many people didn’t understand the iPhone when it came out either.
- - Post merged: - -

Apple AR will be a huge failure without any onboard SoC and need extra device to be usable. The user might not like to carry an extra device.
well then. What should we do?

Reactions: ipedro

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
If Series 3 allows me to tour Machu Picchu for less than the cost of 1 r/t ticket, it will be on top of my Christmas list.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Your loss.

The doubters always did underestimate Apple to their own detriment.
Not losing anything. The success of the Apple Watch is of little consequence to me and never developed into the product many claimed it would be in these forums. It's a complimentary product used by a certain demographic.

AR is dead at the gate, regardless of who makes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadCary

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Seems like you didn't even read that part either, since you got it wrong.
Didn't get anything wrong, crystal clear on my end. A watch is a watch, whether it's Rolex or Apple, it's a watch. If he's trying to imply that Apple Watches aren't used primarily to tell time, then I'll continue to nod and smile.

This isn't the first time I've had the luxury of enduring his responses. They're usually a waste of my time to be blunt. I'd rather not get into a debate with him, as he's on a completely different wavelength.

Reactions: PC_tech

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I am very skeptical that Apple, with the current micro processing tech, can create a mind blowing AR experience in 2020. Heck, late 2021 and I would be more inclined to believe it, but still wouldn’t expect much from the first iteration of the product.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What are the use cases of this hypothetical device for the average consumer? I don’t see anything I’d use them for.
A complete reinvention of how you interact with information/the internet/computers/the world.

Many people thought the iPhone would just be a smaller version of a personal computer but it completely reinvented many aspects of our lives by being a computer that's always on us at all times and always connected, but primarily because it didn't just try to be a smaller computer.

Palm and Windows phone didn't do this precisely because they tried to be pocketable computers. The iPhone threw out old conventions and became something else entirely. Similarly, the existing conventions you're trying to apply to the Glasses won't anticipate how it'll change everything.

A sneak peek: forget tapping away at apps, staring at your screen to do things. Instead, the internet and the real world will merge. Instead of opening an app or searching the internet for pages with answers to your questions, you'll look out into the real world and see data overlaid on things. Walk up to a restaurant and a ratings box will hover over it with reviews and menu favourites. Want to know ahead of time before you get there? Ask Siri and the options will be listed. Have a question you would usually search the internet and browse through pages looking for the answer? A machine learning enhanced Siri capable of getting you the answer, rather than pages with possible answers is how you'll do it in a post-iPhone era.

Overall, in the same way that apps that couldn't have been imagined before the iPhone like Uber or Tinder tat were invented with the world the iPhone made possible already established, the same will happen with glasses. We just don't know yet because that world doesn't yet exist. Somethings can be anticipated like a social app that connects real people out in the real world to one another through augmented reality is one of the more obvious ones but what'll be created will only be known once millions of people are already out there wearing AR glasses.

Last edited:

macguru212

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
NYC/Tokyo
would be very handy for situations were you cant use your hands, like cycling for example you could display directions...
Exactly... to augment that line of thinking, simply walking around an historic district with AR signage, or maps for tourists to get around a big city like NYC or Tokyo.... there are some good uses if the tech works correctly. I am excited to see this, if true.

Reactions: Halikaarn

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I am very skeptical that Apple, with the current micro processing tech, can create a mind blowing AR experience in 2020. Heck, late 2021 and I would be more inclined to believe it, but still wouldn’t expect much from the first iteration of the product.
Nobody expected a full blown OS X running on a pocketable computer in 2007. Nobody. There were whispers that Apple was working on a phone but arguably everyone expected something like the iPod with its simplified scrollwheel UI.

The iPhone is incredibly powerful now, far more than you'd need to power apps on the phone itself, beyond what even desktops and laptops need to run apps that most people use computers for. In fact, the iPhone had already hit that threshold 3 or 4 iPhone generations ago. It has power to spare.

The Glasses won't have to run any of this. They'll only have to have a wide enough wireless bandwidth to communicate in real time with the iPhone. Essentially, a wireless camera going one way and a wireless display going in the other. The iPhone can already run complex AR calculations. It'll just have to receive and send IO wirelessly from and to the glasses which is proven tech that Apple has already mastered through AirPlay and also seen in macOS Catalina's Sidecar.

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
Thank god for real AR, if only so that the Apple keynote events can finally stop having segments where big dumb wooden tables are looked at through iPhone/iPad screens!
Well said.

This product is exactly what AR is meant for. It is nothing but a tech demo on iOS. A boring tech demo that gets old after 5 minutes.

Reactions: iPadCary

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Irvine, CA
The icon is very obviously a version of a headset that takes an iPhone and places it into a mount. Those aren't glasses.

The tech required for this would be so incredibly expensive right now to miniaturize into a real glasses set, unless they think they can get away with going the same route as the epic failure that is google glass.

I had a google glass v1 and was prevented from ever wearing the damned thing anywhere. Bars, clubs, clothing stores, gyms... you name it, no one wanted to be near it once they realized there was a camera pointed at them. Same issues came up when I tried going out with Spectacles. And these are primitive by comparison to what people say Apple is working on.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Not losing anything. The success of the Apple Watch is of little consequence to me and never developed into the product many claimed it would be in these forums. It's a complimentary product used by a certain demographic.

AR is dead at the gate, regardless of who makes it.
oh wow! Thanks for sharing your vision of the future of AR. :)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - NOT A CHANCE THIS IS HAPPENING IN THE NEXT YEAR
yah. Haha.

Yah they still do blue hair, but more nose rings.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
If they also have a camera for recording everything that we want to see, now that would be awesome.
It would be like keeping a video journal of your day or parts of it that you wanted to capture.
Students could capture their lectures and notes written on white boards.
Capture special events, sporting events etc, keeping your hands free all the while so you can still hold that beer in one hand and a hotdog in the other. ;)

One thing that springs to mind are those movies that are shot on hand held cameras such as Cloverfield.
One day we could see a "shot on Apple AR Glasses" mini movie or commercial or whatever. :D

I'm looking forward to having street names and directions appear on the glasses, overlaid in front of you. Arrows appearing on the street, sidewalk etc showing you which direction you need to travel in.

You could also have store sales information or animated advertising appearing on buildings.
Movie session times, ticket prices, restaurant menus, business opening hours could all appear whilst just looking at the venue from the outside.

When you travel to a foreign country a translator app could overlay all the foreign words with English words or perhaps just place an English subtitle under each foreign word giving people the opportunity to learn that language.

When you're at the airport, your flight information could appear on your glasses so that no matter where you are, even in the bathroom, you can keep track of your flight, gate changes, delays etc. Thus no having to find the nearest display board.

Driving in a country where they drive on the other side of the road... as a security measure/feature you could have markers overlaid on the roads that constantly remind you which side of the road you should be on. If you're on the wrong side then it could flash a warning at you.

Missing that all important sports game because the neighbour or a relative decided to come around at the wrong time …. get the game projected on your Apple AR Glasses and watch it whilst looking at your guest and pretending that you're paying attention to them. Heh heh.

And for those that are into Animojis, you could have quite a bit of fun with that. Real time Memojis/Animoji's. All your friends/family will appear as Me/Animojis right in front of you.

There are loads more possibilities for AR Glasses. They will literally change how we see the world around us.

Of course it will be many years before we see the glasses achieve much of what we would like to see through or on them.
My guess is that they'll start off with the most basic of functions and then evolve.

AR glasses could offer greater privacy too, because no one can see what you're looking at, whereas with a phone or tablet people can see what you're viewing.

This really is tech to get excited about.

Billyk711

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015

Apple's augmented reality headset will enter mass production as soon as the fourth quarter of this year in time for an early 2020 launch, according to a new report out today from Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and seen by MacRumors.

An Apple Glasses mockup

In his latest research note with TF International Securities, the analyst says Apple will cooperate with third-party brands to launch its first head-mounted AR product in 2020, with Changying Precision tipped to be the main chassis supplier.

A Kuo report in March claimed Apple would launch an AR product in 2020 that could be ready by the middle of next year. However, Kuo has brought forward his predicted time of release and the analyst now believes the launch window for the product will fall in the second quarter of 2020.

Back in July, a DigiTimes report claimed Apple had suspended its AR headset project, but just last month, code found in Xcode 11 and iOS 13 confirmed that Apple is still working on an augmented reality headset of some kind.

Within the internal Find My app bundle that MacRumors exclusively shared, there is also an icon depicting what appears to be an AR or VR headset that looks similar to the Google Cardboard.

Kuo understands that Apple's AR glasses will be marketed as an iPhone accessory and primarily take a display role while wirelessly offloading computing, networking, and positioning to the iPhone.

Designing the AR glasses to work as an iPhone accessory is also expected to allow Apple to keep the glasses slim and lightweight, rather than trying to pack in all the processing hardware into the one device.

As early as November 2017, Bloomberg reported that Apple was developing an AR headset. Apple originally aimed to have it ready by 2019, but the company was relaxed about not shipping a product until 2020. The report said the headset would run on a new custom operating system, based on iOS, and dubbed "rOS" for "reality operating system."

In addition, today's report underlines Kuo's previous prediction that the most important change to the Apple chassis industry chain in 2020 will be the upgrade of the 5G iPhone's metal mid-frame/chassis.

For Apple's 2020 iPhones, Kuo believes the company will adopt a new metal frame structure reminiscent of the iPhone 4, which will significantly increase the unit cost due to the increase in processing procedures and the integration of composite materials.

Today's report from the respected Apple analyst also covered Apple's iPad Pro and MacBook plans for 2020, which we've covered in a separate article.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple's AR Headset to Launch in Second Quarter of 2020
Why doesn’t anyone bring up the fact this kuo guy is wrong most of the time,
No one calls him out when he is really wrong.
macrumors acts like this kuo guy is always correct, he is more often way off.
I have seen you tubers with more accurate info.

jlozoya

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
ÜT: 32.81656,-117.00708
I see a post iPhone future, where the Watch and AR glasses are all you have. The primary display will be the AR Glasses, with all of it's real-world overlay abilities and the Watch will be the primary computing center/device once it is powerful enough to manage those functions.

I am excited for that paradigm shift and what Apple can bring to the table to move us towards a wearable future.

7188photo

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I had a google glass v1 and was prevented from ever wearing the damned thing anywhere. Bars, clubs, clothing stores, gyms... you name it, no one wanted to be near it once they realized there was a camera pointed at them. Same issues came up when I tried going out with Spectacles. And these are primitive by comparison to what people say Apple is working on.
This. I really don’t see how Apple Glasses would be treated any differently than this. Except maybe when they go the sneaky route and hide all the tech so no one notices they’re potentially being filmed etc.

JediStarWars

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Don't forget that Apple's AR headset will work synonymously with the forthcoming Apple Tags. You put a tag on an item and while wearing the AR glasses, you can easily see/find whatever it is you have tagged/lost. Phones, keys, remote controls, even cars etc... You'll look through the AR headset and see things like balloons floating in the air/sky to lead you to your lost/misplaced item tagged with an Apple tag.

It's going to add a whole new dimension to playing Hide & Seek! :)

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

7188photo

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Sometimes new ideas come out when technology and the world isn't ready for it yet.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. Feel free to be one of the first creeps that makes AR glasses socially acceptable – I’ll step in once they are.
Still feeling like an idiot talking to my phone (Siri) in public, which is why I never do, but step by step huh – seems to be the thing to do ;)

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
Airpods were going to be a dud. The Apple Watch was going to be a dud. Notched phones were going to be a dud.

Same goes for iPod and iPad from the Jobs era. All duds according to Mac Rumors readers.
It’ll be interesting revisiting these comments calling Apple glasses a dud after they’ve completely changed the world.

as you get older it’s fun watching the comments come rolling in and how they change over time. I remember everyone saying the Apple Watch would be a huge flop. That it was pointless and nobody needs it. Just use your phone to tell time right? Now health insurance companies are actually encouraging people to wear them and it’s saving lives.

Same with AirPods. Q tips! Hanging from your ears! How ridiculous. It released and dominated the industry

these are obvious examples that the everyday man has no vision.People make decisions about products they’ve never even tried or researched.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I'm not sure it's going to have a camera. The privacy issues are huge. Plus recording takes power.

The first few iterations will come without camera, so people can get used to them. People always need to get used to something before they can accept it. Especially in the US ;-)

Then after the 3rd iteration maybe, there'll be a camera. And people will be "Ah, well...".