Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Unacceptable. iPhone 12 needs USB-C, and it needs a charger in box. Nothing less.
I can see why some might not like this but I don't have a problem with this. Apple's chargers aren't nearly as small or nice as the Anker Nano ones for example. Also, many iPhone owners are on their third or more phones so the cables and the weak 5w chargers add up and are wasteful. Maybe Apple should allow people to pick them up in the store for free. That would be a good compromise as most people don't need them.
[automerge]1593724747[/automerge]
Hopefully he’s wrong. If not screw Apple.
A $15 charger on a $600-1,200 phone really shouldn't break the bank.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm skeptical as well. It could be Apple is just testing the waters so to speak on forums just like this one to gauge feedback :oops:

It’s somewhat reminiscent of the outrage over the rumoured removal of the headphone jack back in 2016. This feels less like Apple testing the waters, and more like Apple knowing it’s a done deal, and getting the outrage out of the way by making people angry now so that by the time they do announce the removal of the charging brick, the anger will have already turned into grudging acceptance.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
10-20 years ago when a vast majority of people didn't have a mobile phone it made sense to include it. Sure, I'd like it if they included it too but the point about it being wasteful if it's your 3rd-6th phone in the last 10 years and they are stacking up in your house is a good one.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
You can buy a $13 18W USB-C/A adapter from Amazon that is better than the $29 USB-C only one Apple sells.

...and void your warranty so if something goes wrong with it, you're screwed. Apple voids warranties for those who use 3rd party chargers.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Based on what supply chain are saying. Remember when we expected price increase for 5G well we won’t and if there’s no power brick I can see why
I suspect this would only pertain to the non-Pro models, seeing they just started offering the 18W charger last year with the Pro models.

I still think it would be a terrible move by Apple.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Great take on Apple’s decision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/hirlv5
Helps to significantly cut down on waste generated overall, at no real loss to the customer.

What a load of environazi b.s. - we've heard these lies for decades. Apple has the ability to make all hardware packaging recyclable, included the plastic on the AC adaptors however they choose not too to push more lies. There's a word for this "manipulation".

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
It’s somewhat reminiscent of the outrage over the rumoured removal of the headphone jack back in 2016. This feels less like Apple testing the waters, and more like Apple knowing it’s a done deal, and getting the outrage out of the way by making people angry now so that by the time they do announce the removal of the charging brick, the anger will have already turned into grudging acceptance.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I wonder how many existing customers already have chargers/adapters/cables and how many they have?? I've got at least 2-3 at home, 1-2 that are with me in my laptop bag and then one that I leave plugged in the adapter in my car.

Reactions: mjs916

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Exactly what I was going to say.

I wonder how many existing customers already have chargers/adapters/cables and how many they have?? I've got at least 2-3 at home, 1-2 that are with me in my laptop bag and then one that I leave plugged in the adapter in my car.

I have too many. Mostly usb hubs that I use to charge my multiple Apple devices at home, work and the rare occasion I travel. A couple of chargers with one usb-c and one usb-A port, and a recent one with 2 USB-C and 2 USB-A ports from Anker.

Some will argue that this is a situation Apple has been setting us up for quite some time now due to their stubbornness in sticking with the 5w charger for the longest time (hence forcing most customers to have moved on to better alternatives by now).

But the underlying point still stands - most customers will have something far better than the 5w charger. Maybe that’s what Apple will do - include only a usb-c to lightning cable for the cheaper phones (ie: the iPhone 12). The more expensive iPhones still come with the 18w or 20w charger, because that’s a pretty decent charger, and still far from being the norm.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have too many. Mostly usb hubs that I use to charge my multiple Apple devices at home, work and the rare occasion I travel. A couple of chargers with one usb-c and one usb-A port, and a recent one with 2 USB-C and 2 USB-A ports from Anker.

Some will argue that this is a situation Apple has been setting us up for quite some time now due to their stubbornness in sticking with the 5w charger for the longest time (hence forcing most customers to have moved on to better alternatives by now).

But the underlying point still stands - most customers will have something far better than the 5w charger. Maybe that’s what Apple will do - include only a usb-c to lightning cable for the cheaper phones (ie: the iPhone 12). The more expensive iPhones still come with the 18w or 20w charger, because that’s a pretty decent charger, and still far from being the norm.
Well yeah we have two ipad pros in the house so have power brick for USB C to lightening plus the 18w which came with my iPhone 11 Pro....and seeing as im on annual upgrade i won’t need to hand in my power brick so really I’m glad i wont have yet another brick in my work bag but granted i know everybody does not have the same amount of devices as i do.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think in the end, Apple will offer the new 20 W USB-C charger for US$9.99 to USA customers if they buy it with an iPhone 12 model. The whole no charger with the phone issue is moot if the iPhone 12 Pro models charge reasonably fast with a 12 watt/2.4 ampere USB-A to Lighting charging connection, one found on Apple's own iPad charger and many third party (aka Anker and Aukey) USB-A chargers.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Who told you that?

I'd also be interested in learning if this is true. But somehow, I doubt it. I just went back to Apple's website and checked listings for Belkin and Anker chargers. Apple does tell you that these third-party chargers are not warranted by Apple and any service or support for them must come from Belkin and Anker. But it says nothing about Apple's warranty on its own product being voided if these third-party chargers are used. I don't know what Apple would say about using a no-name, non-UL-approved charger that was picked up off Amazon or in the check-out line at a local convenience store.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'd also be interested in learning if this is true. But somehow, I doubt it. I just went back to Apple's website and checked listings for Belkin and Anker chargers. Apple does tell you that these third-party chargers are not warranted by Apple and any service or support for them must come from Belkin and Anker. But it says nothing about Apple's warranty on its own product being voided if these third-party chargers are used. I don't know what Apple would say about using a no-name, non-UL-approved charger that was picked up off Amazon or in the check-out line at a local convenience store.
It’s not true ?

Not only doesn’t Apple void your warranty if you use third party chargers, they’re actually perfectly happy to sell them to you, as you note.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
It is hilarious that the new iPhone SE 2020 costs $499 and includes an adapter and yet the iPhone 12 will cost much more and will not include one.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
They should give people an option of either getting a charger added to their order or getting a discount on the phone for not getting it.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
There are two issues with this.

One is that it comes from Kuo and Barclays, who have investment dollars driving their analysis. The other is that the cable will be Lightning to USB-C rather than the usual Lightning to USB-A.

Because of these two things, I think the rumour is true. The decision was made. But there will be an eleventh-hour change of plan at Apple and the charger will be included but changed from USB-A to USB-C on the brick.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is hilarious that the new iPhone SE 2020 costs $499 and includes an adapter and yet the iPhone 12 will cost much more and will not include one.
The iphone SE 2020, could be the last iphone to include a charger. It could be Apple's stance going forward that iphones will not include a charger.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The iphone SE 2020, could be the last iphone to include a charger. It could be Apple's stance going forward that iphones will not include a charger.
Or for all we know, Apple just changes the packaging and included accessories of the SE after a certain cut-off date.

Personally, I wouldn't mind swapping the bundled lightning cable and 5w charger for a usb-c to lightning cable.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.