Kurdistan - The Northern Iraq Success Story

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Sep 1, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

St. Petersburg Times

Kurdistan is the Iraq success story that G.W. Bush envisioned for Iraq, but ironically, the Kurds did it all by themselves with no help from the Bush administration. ;)

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Any guess to how long this prosperity will last if we leave?

From what I've read the Kurds are the only faction that's truly happy that we're there, and doesnt want us out. I'm guessing the reason for that is they can maintain their lifestyle without us.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, BushCo just dont get it never will, Where military Islam rules the day you might as well forget democracy and civil society or any real freedoms. The US should be helping the Kurds and break up Iran into 3 states where the oil is divided among the 3.
    Instead Bush has us near the brink of yet another war this time with Iran and has turned Iraq into a terrorist haven. Way to go BushCo!
    Before Bush the only Terrorist in Iraq was Saddam,After Bush we now have a plethera and never ending supply of them.

4. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I agree 100%

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If you look at the history of how folks have dealt with the Kurds, these last forty or fifty years, it's a wonder they like or trust anybody at all. They've been screwed by Saddam, the Iranis, the Turks and the US. I just cross fingers they can come out okay from the problems and pressures...

'Rat

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I remember a quote, "The one common denominator, in all your failed relationships, is you". Do the Kurds help bring misery upon themselves, or are they just victims? I must confess to not having studied their history. I know recently they were lobbying the US to help them fight against Turkey. In fact, there has been quite a bit of fighting along that border. I do not think all is rosy with them.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

so successful that they actually thinks they are independent and helping PKK. They are inviting Turks to invade.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Cyrus the Great, author of the first universal declaration of human rights, conqueror of Babylon and liberator of the Jews, was probably a Kurd. Things have rather gone downhill since then, though.

Is this the same Iraq success story which hosted the largest single attack since the invasion of 2003 just a couple of weeks ago? Ironically, 500 dead Yazidis might disagree.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

They have their own army of 65,000 troops. I don't see the factions of Iraq posing too much of a threat to them as they're too divided to mount any offensive. It's Turkey, I'm concerned about. Especially with their new president.

Taking Kirkuk would be a great step in solidifyng themselves as a nation.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm rusty on dates and specifics, but I recall that we enlisted Kurdish help after the Iranian takeover of our embassy. Later on, we pretty much quit supporting them, and the Iranians killed many of them, driving them toward Turkey. Saddam used nerve gas on those Kurds living in northern Iraq.

Then, after Desert Storm, we told Saddam to leave them alone, but did nothing effective to prevent him from flying troops across the northern No-Fly Zone and killing more Kurds.

The Turks are concerned about Kurdish efforts to gain independence of part of southern Turkey. Same for Iran, in NW Iran. The Kurds have been wanting a "Kurdistan" for many, many decades.

And IMO they're as justified as any other made-up mideastern country...

'Rat

11. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I agree 100%

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And yet, this will probably be touted as proof the whole exercise is working. The way that now discredited opinion article about the surge working was. Any good news I guess, but compared to all the other stuff out there, seems more like grasping to me.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Where did Saddam get that nerve gas anyway?

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Can you source this? I don't believe this is true. I seem to recall a story just last week on NBC that the Kurds are just as eager as anyone to leave - -quite possibly so they can break off from Iraq.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats the way it has to be...Bush, or any Good outside leader, can't push the people of Iraq into a government...they need to want it.

Clearly the Kurds want it, and are well on the way to have it

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

There are, I believe two main factions and a minority third, among the Kurds, However, it appears that they figure that it's more important to cooperate than to fight. "Hang together or be hanged separately," I suppose. If that indeed is the case, it's certainly a refreshing change.

'Rat

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What happens when Iraq stabilizes? My guess is that the two leading families will wage war on one another for control of "Kurdistan". I've said it before and I'll say it again, tribalism is the curse of the ME. Religion takes a back seat.