Kushner loses access to top-secret intelligence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

From Politico

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

What's preventing them from getting their clearances?

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

As I understand it Trump could grant it directly if he chooses but handed it off to Kelly in this case, which is telling I think. It's hard to say why, could be advise of his lawyers maybe?

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

5. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Due to conflict of interest of course..

6. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

Kushner is shady af! I'm sure the FBI is not going through with his clearance because of the Mueller investigation.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

He shouldn’t even have secret level. The background check for that isn’t trivial

8. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

why and how did he get it in the first place? what qualifies him? presidents son-in-law? that why?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Though it’s amazing that trump before being president would probably be denied secret level clearance based on his character

10. mac_in_tosh, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Kind of ironic, isn't it? After all of Trump's rantings about the potential compromise of classified information with Hillary's emails, he has been allowing access to the highest level of classified information to people who cannot even get a full security clearance.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    In Kushner's case, to paraphrase Elizabeth Barrett Browning, let me count the ways - repeated failure to accurately account for meetings with foreign nationals, desperate business situation leaving him open to undue influence and conflict of interest, Trump Tower meeting with Russians to discuss collusion, wanting to set up back channel from the WH to the Kremlin possibly run out of their diplomatic facilities. Porter's failure to get clearance was no doubt due to potential compromising of his position as a result of his past domestic violence. When you throw in Flynn, Manafort and others, one has to ask whether anyone in the Trump administration is totally clean.

And Trump told us he'd hire only the best people. :confused:

11. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

I’m surprised Republicans aren’t concerned about this. After all, for years, all we heard about was private email servers and classified information leaks. They were all experts and how to handle classified information. The President gave his son-in-law access to US secrets despite not having the proper clearance, and not a peep. Strange.

I guess if it’s not on Fox News then it doesn’t matter. Hannity has more important things to talk about on his show than National Security like Google emojis.

12. appleisking macrumors 6502a

He had no business having it in the first place. He also has no business being on the WH neither does Ivanka

13. 0007776 Suspended

Anything is ok as long as you have an R next towards your name. It’s the same with deficits.

14. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

yep, exactly. Trump's family having TS/SCI and SAP access is a complete joke. Not a single one of them should have ever been privy to any classified data. I'm willing to bet anything that Kushner and Don Jr are using the intel for business related capital. It sickens me to see it, especially after having the same clearance for 20+ years. And 15 months to get a clearance is a serious red flag! Kushner should be given coloring books to look at not Presidential briefing packs.

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Just to clarify for some people, that 'desperate business situation' is in the tune of $1Billion +, that is due next year. That's a lot of scratch to pay up on, and no apparently clear way to pay it.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/8/31/16233330/kushner-companies-666-fifth-avenue-finances

When you are $1Billion + in the hole, in need of a way to pay, and you are eager to speak to any foreign source of capital. You can understand why you'd be seen as a security risk in the upper echelon of government.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’m not necessarily part of the nepotism accusation club when it comes to Kushner in particular, but given his problems he should not have a high level security clearance.

If Trump is really worth “9 Billion Dollars” or whatever he claims to be, maybe Papa Trump will bail him out. :p

17. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

18. Scepticalscribe, Feb 27, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I am.

The 'nepotism accusation club' can count me as a member: Jared Kushner is unfit to hold any position in the White House, on account of his stunning inexperience, his colossal debts, his inexplicable inability to declare interests and activities, and the fact that he related by marriage to the current incumbent.

I'm sorry: This - a White House administration - is not The Mafia (or, perhaps it is) where all that matters is The Family.

Besides, there is the question of double standards, here.

Just imagine the shrieks of splenetic and endless outrage from the Usual Suspects if a President Hillary Rodham Clinton had appointed her daughter (let alone her husband, who would have been both experienced and qualified) to such a position.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This, and then some. It took me less than 30 days to get S/SCI clearance, and it's laughable that it has taken Kushner over a year to get the same security clearance I have had for the DoD!

But now, the scene is set: I wonder if Trump will now try to declassify data so Kushner can have access to it and reclassify it again. If so, Trump will run complete and total roughshod over our government's classification system for the sake of nepotism.

BL.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Kushner's business ties, plus the very heavy debt load on them, make him susceptible to foreign pressure to give up classified information he may come into contact with.

In a (somewhat surprising) revelation, intelligence officials have indicated that they have overheard foreign government people from countries as diverse as China, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia privately discussing how they could use Kushner's vulnerabilities to gain access to information and as a lever to gain an advantage in negotiations.

This sort of problem is why every previous President in modern history has a) put their business holdings into a blind trust and b) tried to avoid blatant nepotism in sensitive positions.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Apparently the DOJ ruled that nepotism does not apply to someone like a senior advisor. That said even if it’s not nepotism, it could be problematic for many reasons.

But it’s not exactly a unique situation: https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/...nted_family_members_to_White_House_positions?

22. Scepticalscribe, Feb 28, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

With respect, @A.Goldberg, I am not American and it is immaterial to me whether the DOJ has ruled that "Nepotism does not apply to someone like a senior advisor." Perhaps the DOJ may need to revisit - and revise - that ruling.

Nor does the fact that it is not a unique situation serve to validate it. It is wrong ethically, morally, politically as well as wrong both commercially and culturally.

The fact remains that nepotism is considered Not A Good Thing in a modern democracy, and given the history of the United States (a dislike of hereditary rulers and their attached families) some of the more myopic in the US might care to take a quick glance at a few pages from their own history.

Be that as it may, this particular son-in-law is completely unfit to hold any office of any description given the inexperience, baggage and unanswered questions he trails in his wake.

I find it quite extraordinary that firstly, given his inexperience, his baggage, his unanswered questions, and his close family ties to the President, that he has been allowed to hold this position as a senior adviser (without a pip or a squeak from the normally vocal Republican Party, keen on Family Stuff as they claim to be). And secondly, I find it absolutely inexplicable that he has been allowed to continue to do so in the absence of a security clearance issued at the appropriate level.

In my current line of work, I cannot accept an offer of employment unless my tax affairs are in order and I have been issued with a security clearance at the appropriate level.

It is inexcusable that the White House holds itself to such a sordid level of ethical standards.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Clinton was involved in various sexual "affairs", I'm sure he would have been denied as well. Lewinsky recently called it an abuse of power.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    You probably don't have business dealings around the world, if your footprint is somewhat contained it's going to make it easier to verify details.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

It was never not an abuse of power.

Fact is - Kushner should never have been given any type of clearance or access to documents. It was nepotism and inappropriate. You cannot argue otherwise.

25. lowendlinux, Feb 28, 2018

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The thing is he lied on his initial application (which for us normals would immediately end any chance of a clearance) then in the years he's been working in the WH his debt has sky rocketed. If I were Kuschner I'd use this as an opportunity to get out of the bubble of the WH and go back to making money.