Kushner moves to DC? ...and replace Bannon?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 9, 2017.

1. 63dot, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As much as I don't like Bannon, isn't there some rule somewhere that does not allow a president to choose his son in law Jared Kushner to be his chief adviser?

What if down the line, Priebus, who got the Chief of Staff spot over Bannon, leaves and Trump wants to put Kushner there? What if something happens to Pence and Trump wants to put Kushner as VP?

This recalls the days when JFK put in Robert Kennedy to be Attorney General and many freaked out? The same right wing people who said JFK's move was wrong are now defending Kusher (reportedly living permanently in DC with his wife Ivanka Trump) as just fine for any post Trump puts him into.

Thoughts?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Bannon is a retired Naval officer. How could he not be a true American and a Patriot? There are anti-nepotism laws but I don't know how they are interpreted.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

JFK was a long time ago I doubt it's the same people complaining :).

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

....not the same people but Republicans who thought there was some sort of elitist thing going on, but now look!

Kushner, like him or not, will be a power player and maybe the man behind the man.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/jared-kushner-trump-administration-power.html

I have no idea, but since Trump is not in the White House yet, or used to their ways, he's still thinking of running the USA just like Trump Inc and doing things like overusing Ivanka and her husband. The last time I checked it doesn't work that way.

Trump is in for a rude awakening when he sees DC is slug run and that there's no way to work around that. It was set up that way so no president could ever be like a King George III. Crazy was King George and so far Trump seems to be a modern day version but this time there's a Supreme Court, a Congress, and lobbyists so Trump won't get that far, with or without wuderkind Kushner. LOL.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Pretty sure both houses of congress have to approve a VP successor per the 25th.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Yes!

I would love to see Trump put in Ivanka or Jared there! Well, how about Omorosa? ;)

This is rich and I can't wait to see how SNL treats Kushner, who I think we will see a lot in the next four years.

I am hoping current rules will stop Trump from making USA Inc a family business.

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/18/50263...-statute-that-might-keep-him-from-the-white-h

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yes, indeed! The WP has an article up on the anti-nepotism statute, involving a discussion with a government ethics expert from Washington University. A few choice quotes:

"I see this as Trump’s first attempt to ignore the law, act in violation of the law, and he’s going to see if he can get away with it. We have a statute that names the president, that names the son-in-law relationship, that Congress identified a problem and enacted a statute prohibiting a president from hiring a son-in-law."

and

"I think this is enormously significant, because it’s an initial test of whether — we’ve seen as a candidate, Donald Trump has violated norms, and now we’re going to see whether he also plans to violate the law."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mpt-to-ignore-the-law/?utm_term=.58f758861619

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

As bad as Kushner in the WH is, I don't think that an adviser (and without a salary) is really breaking the law.

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

But isn't it kind of sad that, of all the candidates available in this entire country of 300 million people, Trump has to fall back on his own family members as his closest advisors?

This really is one friendless man, isn't he.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Because he's a straight racist and white supremacist

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Not sure Trump wants "consigliere" Kushner in a traditional role like CS or VP: That would expose him to public and press scrutiny. Better to keep him in the shadows and let the seasoned politicos Priebus and Pence play dodgeball with the press.

What better way to keep your consigliere loyal than to have him married to your daughter?

It's interesting how dependent Trump seems to be on Kushner. So much so that he'd risk the whole nepotism thing blowing up in his face. Isn't Pence (you know, the guy the people voted for) supposed to be the president's right hand man? Instead, Trump seems to regard him like he's a piece of office furniture.

12. 63dot, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

With Bannon, he's basically a known entity who I think will agree or disagree with Trump thus an adviser's role.

Kushner, whether he agrees with Trump or not, will never disagree to his face. Who do you think will be the CEO of Trump Inc when the Donald kicks the bucket a decade or so from now? It's all about Kushner and his wife after this and these 4 to 8 years has very little to do with the Trump fortune (if they follow the laws) and Kushner will be watching out for CEO of Trump Inc sometime in the future.

Just like Bill Gates had a key republican and a key democrat in his state on his side while he was running Microsoft, Kushner will not ditch his long held democratic party connections and now Kushner has an in with the GOP. This will be perfect for Trump Inc for the next couple of decades or more. When your company makes 1-3 million dollars a day, and you have successfully thwarted prying eyes with the myth that you could be worth only a few billion instead of more than ten billion, you will run Trump Inc and have more money than anybody knows and maybe keep monies offshore. Before the election, Trump Inc had a detailed site of his holdings but that was mysteriously edited to be much smaller when it was obvious he was going to do well in the primaries. Trump Inc is probably bigger than any of us think and Kushner is the point man. We can't have him as main man in White House and as much as I hate Bannon, we can't have Trump family members in a White House that is supposed to be the opposite of a monarchy.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

He's also a retired U.S. Navy officer, a patriot, and an American hero. Not to mention he owns all the rights to "Seinfeld." Dude is a multi-millionaire.

14. macmee Suspended

macmee

Bannon is a racist idiot.

15. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The main thing, like him or not, is that he's not related to Donald. If Kushner was not married to Ivanka, I would be just fine with it and just move along.

The 1967 law, due to JFK hiring his brother Robert, is why it's now not legal to put family members in key positions in
    "government agencies". However, Trump's lawyers are saying the White House is not a "government agency" and technically they are correct, but I don't think that excuse will fly. Trump has defied convention and gotten away with it and Americans have grown tired with all the rules the Democratic and Republican members of Congress don't seem to think applies to them.

Now with this supposed scandal of "proof" of Trump with photos/film of him with underage girls in the hands of the Russians, that makes the possibility of Pence being president. Most liberals like me would not want that just like we put up with W, but were happy that Richard Cheney didn't secure the top spot. Apparently, only the CIA, FBI, and Senator McCain's office has only seen the proof and if anything they will never see the light of day but be used as a bargaining chip. I am sure McCain is a master at this game as was backroom master of the game Tip O'Neil for the Democrats back in the day.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---
    Yes, he is but at least he's not related to Trump. I am sure quite a few of Trump's cabinet, but also the GOP in general, is quite racist and backwards thus why I don't vote for them.

I think they still represent the beliefs of a lot of Americans who are OK with racism and want to bring America back to the 1950s.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Source.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

From your first link: "It’s less clear whether Bannon’s own actions and words prove that he is one [a racist], too."

All you posted are the usual accusations from the usual suspects; the same people who scream "RACIST!" if you suggest that foreigners should enter the United States legally.

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

More quotes from my first link:

"Shortly after joining Trump’s campaign in August, Bannon said in a revealing interview with Mother Jones that, possibly, there were “some people that are white nationalists that are attracted to some of the philosophies of the alt-right.”"

"Yet some of the highest praise for Bannon’s appointment came from white nationalists and white supremacists."

A quote from a Stormfront reader: "“Stephen Bannon: racist, anti-homo, anti-immigrant, anti-jewish, anti-establishment. Declared war on (((Paul Ryan))) Sounds perfect. The man who will have Trump’s ear more than anyone else. Being anti-jewish is not illegal.”"

"Under Bannon’s leadership, Breitbart became an anti-“globalist” news site clearly aligned with the European far right. It attracts self-described white supremacists with such headlines as “Bill Kristol: Republican spoiler, renegade Jew.”"

"According to a 2007 court statement, Bannon’s ex-wife accused him of not wanting their twin daughters attending a California private school because its student body included too many Jews."

"More importantly, Bannon helped shape a Trump message that won the condemnation of the Anti-Defamation League — and helped him in swing states. Trump’s closing ad, a two-minute edit of a speech he had given attacking the “global financial powers,” struck the ADL as hitting “anti-Semitic themes.”"

So yeah, maybe "less clear", but still pretty obvious. You should probably read the entire article. Some of the others offer a bit more detail on his racism.

19. 63dot, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Didn't you know there's a big book of racist idiots out there. You can buy it on Amazon.com
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---

Don't bother, dude. It's pretty obvious he can't read or reason out a thought to its logical conclusion. LOL. If you want a spirited argument against a thinking conservative, try battling it out with someone like Desertrat, Macrumor's own version of William F. Buckley. Liberals like me may not agree with 'Rat but he's a great apologist for conservative viewpoints.