KVM switch for 2 minis with DVI Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OldCorpse, Dec 30, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I want to connect two minis to one monitor+keyboard+mouse through a KVM switch. I'd like both minis to the monitor accepts DVI. One mini is a PPC the other an intel. The PPC would be running Tiger 10.4.11 and the intel Leopard 10.5.x.

Question: what KVM switch would you recommend? I need to have both minis connect to the monitor with a DVI connector.

Thanks in advance!

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Look under Amazon - DVI KVM switches exist - but are pretty expensive.

If you don't need separate keyboards or mice and your monitor has multiple inputs - consider (perhaps) using the mini-DVI to VGA adapter for one input, and the DVI to DVI for the other. (this is my setup, PS3 and iMac to the same monitor)

If you need the DVI KVM - I think there were in the ballpark of 200 last time I checked.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest going for a VGA KVM unless you can afford a DVI one.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

The problem is that while my monitor (20.1" Dell 2001FP) has both VGA & DVI, it will only accept one at a time. I don't think I can have both hooked up.

I'm willing to settle for VGA for one of the minis (the PPC one).

And you are right, I'd rather not spend $200.

Thanks for the answers so far... I'll take more :)

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - I'm not sure what Dell monitor you have - as for my 2007wfp - I hit the "source" button and can toggle from DVI to VGA and back pretty quickly. It also has an "input source" selector within the menu.

If yours only supports one input - and it's an OR statement. (DVI or VGA) then you may well be boned. Worth double checking though, just in case.

Lifted from a review on the panel you mentioned...

"Dell 2001FP LCD Features
    The Dell 2001FP has VGA, DVI, S-Video and composite connectors with a front panel switch to navigate through them"

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a Dell 2001FP at work. It's just a simple toggle on the input selector to go from VGA to DVI.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

PS/2 swithcboxes are not an option - they draw power from the PS/2 port which your Macs don't have.

Aten and IOGear have DVI switchboxes (they are essentially the same product with different names) - I have used them on Minis.

10. srexy macrumors 6502a

I use a belkin flip dvi for a MacBook Pro and a PC to hook up to. The windows box had a vga card prior to this but I had to upgrade to dvi in order to connect to my ACD. The Flip does what it's supposed to do but w/a couple of niggles.

My 2.1 speakers develop a horrible squeaky interference when both sound cards are hooked up to the Flip - sounds like the interference you'd get from a bad am channel on an early transistor radio. As I'm using the Mac primarily I just unplug the pc except when my daughter wants to play Noggin.com. The other problem is probably the fault of the cheesy video card I bought - there isome flickering and the occasional red line that streaks across the screen. In all other respects it's perfect. I've got every reason to believe that w/2 solid video sources a la 2x minis you would be fine but I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it as a solution for you unless you were able to pick it up from a box store and return it if need be.

[​IMG]

11. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thank you everybody! I think the technical issues are solved... now I just have to get lucky with a reasonably priced KVM :)

12. elcid macrumors 6502

When I tried plugging my MacBook into the VGA port through a Mini-DVI to VGA connector it looked horrible. It was a Dell 1905. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but my Windows machine worked fine.

13. tefleming macrumors 6502

Do you truly *need* them on a KVM?

VNC (or some other remote desktop tech) would be infinitely cheaper.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'm using a VGA version of what looks identical to that switch for my macbook and desktop, it's the most buggy thing ever. The keyboard will just spontaneously die on it, which requires me then switching to the other desktop and back again to reset. Not so bad doing it for OS X because the return is immediate, but Vista takes it's time doing it. Not so good when you're playing Unreal Tournament online. :eek:

15. Claytoniss macrumors regular

Claytoniss

I just returned an IOGEAR USB KVM yesterday, It won't support the new keyboard, and wasn't really happy the way the mouse was working either.

So now its swapping the keyboard from the mac to the pc. Wish i could just get rid of the PC...but its the Gf's.