Kyrsten Sinema swears in to Congress using copy of Constitution instead of religious book

benshive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
United States
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/423813-kyrsten-sinema-swears-in-to-congress-using-law-book-instead-of-bible

This is a few months old and I don't know anything about her politics but this is great. I love the idea of swearing in on the document that you're promising to uphold instead of the Bible or some other holy book. Religion is a personal matter and should stay out of government. In the words of one of our greatest founding fathers:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
- Thomas Jefferson

Reactions: appleisking

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
This is a few months old and I don't know anything about her politics but this is great. I love the idea of swearing in on the document that you're promising to uphold instead of the Bible or some other holy book. Religion is a personal matter and should stay out of government. In the words of one of our greatest founding fathers:
I think it is a good idea, but I like the idea of giving the person swearing in a choice.

At the same time, it is all just symbolic, so logically, it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: jkcerda

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think it is a good idea, but I like the idea of giving the person swearing in a choice.

At the same time, it is all just symbolic, so logically, it really doesn't matter.
I should think a pile of cash should be used for swearing in. That, in general, seems to be their biggest motivator.

Reactions: raqball