L O O K I N G to buy my 1st MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeyz6, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mikeyz6 macrumors newbie

:confused::confused::confused:

i have been using PC / Windows alll my life the last 15 years....

i was thinking of buying a MAC because of the effeciency and quality of their products.. i go thru new laptops/computers like every 2 1/2 years... and i dont do much besides download files, surf the web, play a few random games... but the questions i have is

1) i hear FLASH is not compatiblem not that i use it much at all.. but its a point i heard

2) certain files from windows doesn't transfer over to MAC ( i got everything saved on my external drive but i dont know what file types may not transfer over?

3) then i hear you can some how use windows 7 w/ the MAC

4) new or refurbished? i hear good things about refurbished but i dont want a dead pixel computer all dinged up and dies in a year

5) most of all IDK what i want if i do decide to get a MAC.. the mac pro or the 21.5" iMAC

most of all i think i feel very uncomfortable with getting a MAC only because i never even used one... i been to the apple store.. i fooled around with it.. but i still feel completley lost

thanks to all who respond in advanced...:)

2. GGJstudios, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flash works fine on Macs. It uses more system resources and drains battery faster, as does any graphic or processor-intensive app. You can use the ClickToFlash plugin or ClickToFlash extension for Safari to control when Flash content plays on a website.
    Almost any file type you have will transfer just fine. It's a matter of choosing which Mac application you want to use with those files, and there are many to choose from. Most common files will work with no problem on a Mac.
    Yes, you can install Windows 7 in Boot Camp.
    Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store
    That's up to you. You might want to use MRoogle to search the forum for "iMac or Mac Pro", as there are dozens of threads where this has been discussed.

By the way, it's "Mac", not "MAC", which is something else.

A couple more resources:
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Mac Virus/Malware Info

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You answered the question yourself, go with the iMac. For your uses, a Mac Pro would be a giant waste of money.

4. mikeyz6 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you sir....

Sooo i pretty much can run windows 7 for the few things; i need it for and stick with the mac os for daily use... Nice

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Indeed, you can also install it through something like Parallels if you're not using it for games. That way you don't have to restart every time you want to use Windows.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I migrated completely off Windows about 3 years ago and I've never found a need to install Windows on my Mac. The Mac does everything I need.

7. mikeyz6 thread starter macrumors newbie

WELL I HAVE A PROGRAM, THAT CONVERTS VHS to VIDEO FORMAT ON YOUR PC... SOO YOU CAN EDIT, CUT IT.. AND THEN BURN IT TO DVD'S THEY DONT HAVE ANY MAC SOFTWARE

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

iMovie can capture analog video from tape based sources if you have the right A/V to USB adapter.

There is also this software from Roxio, called Easy VHS to DVD, for that task that comes with the appropriate adapter but it is quite expensive depending on how much you are going to use it.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

OP: The only thing Ive found that has stopped me going entirely Mac OS X is OneNote on my TabletPC - Thats the 1 App I cant live without, and is the only reason. An iMac would definitely be perfect for your use - and I also recommend the Roxio VHS kit, it works really well :)

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Since you forgot to mention the most important piece of information -- what you are going to actually DO with the machine -- my advice has to be simple: Save your money and stay with Windows. 64-Bit Windows 7 is a great platform: Compatible(!), fast, stable and also user friendly and comfortable and, yes, even SECURE.

For somebody who has been at home with Windows for one and half decades, there is no compelling or rational reason to switch to the Mac.

If you like the design or engineering of Apple hardware, you can still use it with with Windows. However, since Apple only provides a drivers collection for their computers (aka "Boot Camp") but no actual support for Windows, you would be much better off buying a "real" PC if you are not tech-savvy enough to help yourself.

11. Brettla macrumors regular

you could always buy a new PC with Windows 7 and not go to crazy on the price and then pick up a used Mac or a new Mac Mini just to get used to the platform without a big investment and see if you really want to work with it on a regular basis.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Flash works, just that the plugin consumes lots of resources, just as on PCs.
    2. Everything will "transfer." All files will open on a Mac either natively or through VMware / bootcamp.
    3. Yes. Bootcamp.
    4. Refurb
    5. iMac

MicroShill strikes again.

13. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

I made the same jump a few months back and got a refurb - gabby looked back. I have win 7 64 bit running on bootcamp ( and better than it ever did on my quad core pc) flash in mac osx is no problem works just as on a pc. My only gripe is how very few file tiles quick time plays.
    If you are in the UK you can get 3-4% cash back on your mac purchase using this link - http://www.quidco.com/user/123570/32231/apple-store
    works for refurb as well as regular store.
    One big plus apart from price is that a lot of the top end returns come with extra memory even though it's not listed and same price! I had 8 gb ram and a 2tb drive in mine!

14. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It depends what you do at home. If you want to use Final Cut/ Logic/ GarageBand (No Decent Home Recording software for Windows that Ive ever found. All the recommended ones just dont compete with GarageBand)/ iPhoto (So much better than anything on Windows), then you need a Mac.

15. Barnzee macrumors regular

I was in the same position about two years ago, and finally decided to go with the 17" Macbook Pro after 3 months of debating with myself. At first when the brand new machine came to my door, the first thing that I said to myself was "why did I just spend 2700 dollars on this?" I guess I had an early onset of buyers remorse. I had actually put off opening it for like a week because I was considering returning it. However, when I turned it on and became familiar with OSX I then thought to myself "why did I not switch to Mac sooner?!"

I'll never go back to PC unless I was going to build a gaming rig. Windows 7 is a great OS (I use Bootcamp to game :D), But OSX's interface is just so damn pleasing to use. Apple has the most asthetically pleasing computers out there.

16. MacHamster68, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmm , some mentioned you should stay with windows after working with windows for over a decade , if you fancy the design of the Mac's and their ability to run windows7 , there is no reason you could not just buy a iMac and install windows 7 on it and use only windows7 for work , and just to get used to it occasionally just for fun use OSX from time to time , so slowly getting used to it

i rarely seen people who have a main pc who then buy a Mac mini to get used to Mac really use the mini , most times it sits in a shelf for while and ends up at ebay again , not because it would not be a good idea , but its a second computer and rarely gets booted up ...because not everyone has the time to jump off the PC to boot up the Mac mini to surf or watch a film

while if you buy a iMac/MacPro as your only computer and install windows for "work" use and OSX for the rest you will find that you will more and more use OSX for your work too ,until you might find that you don't use windows at all after a while and a program or App how its called in Mac world with the name parallels makes this transition to OSX even more easy , as you can run both operating systems side by side on the same monitor at the same time , means you can do your dvd vhs stuff under windows7(or xp) while you surf the web with OSX (which is still more secure)

and if you can afford a MacPro /iMac , then just get one ,you wont get disappointed even if it turns out you really could not manage OSX (something i dont believe will happen ) you can always keep running windws on them , it wont harm them in any way and if you just have a look on ebay you will see Mac's have a really good resale value even after a half decade which is a great plus if you want to upgrade in 3 years time to a newer model and get near 2/3 you need for the new model back by selling your old one ;)

17. mikeyz6 thread starter macrumors newbie

heyyyyy whatsup fellas wanted to say thankyou for all your input

i purchased the iMAC 21.5 basic configuration.. w/ my student discount

its pretty cool... still learning alot slowwwwly but surely

thanks for all your help gentleman

18. IconicM macrumors regular

You can also take classes at the Apple store, if there's one near you. Or if you have questions, just pop in and the folks there will help you with your questions.

19. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

There are some easy - to - follow short video tutorials on Apple's web site, as well. You'll find them useful when you need a quick reference. Congratulations for switching. You made the right decision. Enjoy your new iMac.