LA Clippers Owner Banned For Life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good. He's a twisted POS. The NBA did right, they do not need this poison behind their name.

5. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm surprised that the commissioner has used the ban hammer so aggressively and has the authority to ban an owner for life.

Attached Files:

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

'Banned for life' from what, exactly? That article doesn't even make it clear whether or not he can be compelled to sell his stake in the Clippers.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Kareem Abdul Jabbar brings up some interesting points about the whole situation.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Welcome to the Finger-Wagging Olympics

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

We don't know what is in the bylaws of the NBA, as they are not obligated to post it for public review.

NPR did put out a good article about what they can do with Sterling:

It is important to note that Dept. of Justice did sue him for refusing to lease property to Blacks and others based on their race. So there is a known track record.

But the NBA went the last option. I would expect that Silver and the NBA have been served by now. But on the other side of it, I'm sure the Clippers will play better tonight knowing they won't have to deal with this. But the NBA and other sports outlets need to get this out ASAP and get it known ASAP otherwise attendance is going to drop faster than a longhorn bull doing a 2 1/2 from the pike position off a diving board.

BL.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

10. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is all they have been talking about for the last couple of days so I don't think that will be a problem.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Smart choice by the NBA.

I support their decision.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I think the fact that this was a private conversation in California, a two party recording consent state is going to wind up in a courtroom. It won't really matter, this guy has more money that he can spend in what is remaining of his life, either way.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Understood, but the Clippers/Warriors game is tonight. It would be interesting to see how ticket sales were between this game and the last couple of games in their series. They've already lost major sponsors in State Farm (a huge blow to Chris Paul), Virgin America, and others. This, low ticket sales, and a potential exodus of players may put the Clippers back as cellar dwellers again in the NBA.

BL.

14. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not so sure about that. I think the swift and severe action taken by the league will minimize most of that. I think the only way they (the Clippers) suffer is if they can't figure out how to force Sterling to sell the team.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm hoping so, plus that they get their sponsors back. This has been the best year the Clippers have had that I know of..

Either way, rumour has it that Magic Johnson is interested in buying the team..

BL.

16. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Will the league do anything to the New York Knick's Larry Johnson for his racist tweet? My bet is no.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So are we going to start banning homophobes or someone with religious views next. Yes what he said was totally wrong but this reeks of this being a slippery slope for other things.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Someone who says "Gay people should not be allowed at basketball games" should be banned. That is a direct assault on the nature of the private business that is the NBA.

Note, this is different that "Gay people should not be able to get married".

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There's no first amendment right to say **** without consequences.

21. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, Brenden Eich recently resigned as Mozilla's CEO, so I'd say it has already happened. Not to mention, that it has been going on for a long time. Look what happened to The Dixie Chicks back in 2003.

Words have consequences. And businesses have a right to get rid of people who are bringing unwanted attention to them through their words.

Agreed.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

How is this racist?

Do you even remember the American Basketball Association, where a lot of the Blacks were having to play because non-acceptance in the NBA in the late 50s/early 60s? Sounds like you are forgetting history.

BL.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I blame James Dolan for that tweet. I'm on board with him being banned for life.

In terms of owning sports teams, there must be language in the contract with the league that allows for this type of ban. Remember when Marge Schott got suspended from the MLB after saying stupid things?

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't care about his racist stuff. I'm kinda glad because this gives Seattle a shot at getting an NBA team back.

Ha !

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I was thinking similarly. Very little attention has been paid to the recording. Was the recording from an intercept ala News International or did Stiviano, or someone else give the recording to TMZ?

This was a private conversation that was leaked.

Sterling's an obvious horror-show, but it's fascinating to see how the league has reacted to this recording when it spent years ignoring his obvious racism.