LA Officer kicks suspect in head!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBoobsPro, May 14, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8049689.stm

I say so what. His rights should be revoked as soon as he breaks the law. The fact that the copper did it shows the copper is a bit of an arse i.e. there was no reason for it (apart from making his fat ass run). But most civil rights for criminals should be revoked once they break the law and put other people in danger.

What say you?

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

They are not a criminal until proven guilty. It is not for the police, you, politicians or anybody apart for the jury to decide who is guilty or who not.

Secondly the police man has also broken the law.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Policeman will get suspended, the kid will have a lawsuit against LAPD. Kind of a dumb move when they know a heli is up top, I don't really have any sympathy for the kid though.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

He had stopped running, had already assumed the position, and was no longer posing a threat. Yes, he was incredibly stupid for running in the first place, but that grossly unprofessional officer deserves to lose his badge.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Everyone deserves civil rights, especially before they are proven guilty.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They should just shoot them in the back when they are in this position.

Wait, they already did that in California earlier in the year. :eek:

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I agree with you to a point, the kid surrendered and he was really stupid for getting into that situation already, and the officer was unprofessional for a moment and should be reprimanded but doesn't deserve to loose his job over it.

The kid showed a disregard for public safety and the officer probably had a lot of adrenaline flowing which caused him to apply more than 'minimum force' when he apprehended the suspect alone. Tensions were high in those few seconds and mistakes were made, but it was not a Rodney King like incident.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. The cop needs to go. The suspect also needs to be prosecuted. But as soon as a cop starts doing things like this, it's not long before they do worse.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

We don't know whether the suspect was verbally threatening or provoking the officer.

I'm not 100% convinced that he was kicked in the head - even the voiceover says he was kicked in the shoulder.

However, the cop clearly crossed the line. The guy was face down, arms spread, and (as best as I can tell) unarmed. He didn't need to be kicked at all, head or not. And if he were threatening or goading the cop, the cop needs to be a professional and take the high road.

BUT...I have absolutely zero sympathy for the criminal. I know he's innocent until proven guilty, but I clearly saw him driving recklessly, hitting an occupied car, and running from the police - all of these are crimes. I don't know how long the cop had been chasing him, but I can clearly understand why he was so upset with the criminal. There's no telling how much happened that we didn't see in the video.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

We're going to disagree on this point, so the LAPD can sort that one out.

By my rough count there's about 6 seconds between the kick and when the second officer enters the frame. The wannabe footballer with a badge is hardly alone. This isn't a case of a lone officer facing down a thug in a darkened alley, this is broad daylight and backup is right behind him.

Quite frankly, I don't care. There is zero excuse for this cop's behavior. Training to deal with situations like this is part of the curriculum. He didn't trip over the suspect. I watched that video again and that kick to his head was deliberate with malice aforethought; if you watch closely, you'll see the officer stop, pivot, and plant his boot on the guy's noggin. Police should be held to a higher standard due to the nature of their job, and this cop deserves to lose his.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed on all points. I hadn't watched video before this, an now that I have, this guy needs to go. The suspect was on the ground spread eagle for god's sake! There was no need for that at all.

12. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Anyone notice the same officer "High Fives" the K9 unit Officer at the end? :)

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Perhaps he threatened to bite his foot? :rolleyes:

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

&
    I'm certainly not trying to excuse this officer's behavior at all. What I am saying is a lot can happen in those situations, cops are human after all, the adrenaline starts flowing and 'lizard' (fight or flight responses) can take over.

To make it clear the officers actions were wrong; and should be investigated but I'm not ready to condemn the man just yet.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Condemning the officer without the benefit of an inquiry is almost as unreasonable as writing the action of as okay because of the belief prisoners don't have rights.

We need to get out, as a country, of that kind of ridiculous mentality (as it applied to this unlawful behavior of confining so-called unlawful combatants), not extend it to the issue of people being arrested for general crimes inside the US....

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Raid- I don't know what more you need to know. The officer kicked a suspect in the head who obviously posed no threat. Police are supposed to be professional and have been trained how to deal with these situations. Adrenaline is not an excuse. Do you honestly think this is the first time this officer has done something like this? There wasn't even any hesitation. That's what creeped me out the most.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Give the cop a shame on you, lock up the thug for life or send him to Iraq or better yet lets just end his useless life. this guy is a career criminal.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sure the training helps, but it's fighting thousands of years of evolution; sometimes the old habits of our simian ancestors still come out despite our best efforts.

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to that. While he could have a history of unnecessary force, he could also be a good and honest cop that made a mistake.

Sorry, you're just making this point and not a direct comment on my posts right? I never said the kid/prisoner shouldn't or didn't have any rights... just clarifying.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps, but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. That's all I'm saying. Just because we make mistakes doesn't mean there aren't consequences.

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Good, bad, right or wrong, my money says (1) cop immediately suspensed with pay, (2) loses job two months from now at conclusion of investigation, and (3) suspect sues and gets either a judgment or settlement for around $500,000.

21. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Seriously, he "High Fives" the other Officer at the end. Were not going to talk about him celebrating his kick to the head?

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes but the biggest losers in that whole scenario are the L.A. Taxpayers; down 1 cop plus 2 months salary, $500,000 and what $30,000/year for the kids jail cell? What a world eh? Two wrongs don't make a right, but it could make another couple of wrongs.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because men on their bellies spread eagle are super duper threatening to a cop holding a gun from a couple of feet (at best) away. :rolleyes:

I thought the OP saying the guy's rights should be revoked the second he ran was bad but this just took the cake.

There may be a lot we did not see (I saw a longer version on local news) but really? Spread eagle and he gets kicked in the head? It was his head BTW to the dumbass in the helicopter who said shoulder. Even he appeared shocked.

*hi five* :cool:

24. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I agree. The police force doesn't need hot-headed power tripping thugs, however, that is who seems to seek out such a career. You would think that with the proliferation of video cameras over the past 20 years, police departments would train their officers to behave as if they were always on video, but I guess the excess of available clips of police misbehaving shows thats not the case.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, sorry -- I just meant the door swings both ways -- I think both the kid and the officer should have the benefit of the doubt, but that both should have appropriate actions for their behavior if it was inappropriate (which, in both cases, it probably was, but that can wait a little bit for proof here).