LA State rep: You mean they can use vouchers for Muslim schools? Oops!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jul 6, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/104656/wait— freedom-religion-all-religions

(remove the space in the link, for some reason the word filter is kicking in and censoring something in there)

Moron

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

First of all, WTF is tax money being used to fund religion? This needs to be challenged in court immediately.

Secondly, if this is somehow constitutional, then Islamic schools can't be excluded.

Either way, this politician is a waste of taxpayer money.

4. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Heaven forbid them terrists get merican tax dollars :rolleyes:

See what I did with the heaven? :D

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Pretty dumb thing in general. When I was in school in Michigan (not sure if it's the same), it was either you went to public school and the district got your money or it didn't.

I guess this is due to places granting vouchers for charter schools and either religious schools or supporters of them said, "That's unfair! We should be on a level playing field!", which as someone who went to public school K-8 and a Catholic college prep high school, should not be the case.

Either you go to public school or you pay a premium for the premium school. No matter what, public schools end up being the ones who lose out on dwindling enrollment.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm not fully settled on vouchers. On the one hand, America needs education reform, and if vouchers can help students to excel then they're a worthwhile experiment to pursue. On the other hand, I believe all students should have equitable access to education, and vouchers struggle with that. The effort should go into providing better public schools.

But I don't actually have a problem with the government funding religious schools as long as they're all treated equally. If a parent wants to use a voucher to send a student to a religious school, I'm fine with that. The constitution protects the separation of church and state so there is no official "American religion". If it's funding religious groups equitably through parent choice, that's not a bad thing. It beats our system in Ontario: the government funds the Catholic school board, but no other religious school.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

No, I don't think my taxes should be spent to fund teaching somebody else's religion.....and it doesn't matter how equally those schools are treated. You want to fund a religious school? You're free to do so as long as you pay for it yourself, but don't expect other people to be taxed to pay for it.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What were the "founders" religions anyway ? They weren't all "christian".

I'm all for vouchers. I'm also for taxing churches and non profit "religious organizations" including super pacs that are religious based. A lot of these organizations are just laundry machines.

9. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

**** off racist ****

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

As a Christian I have to say I don't support religious schools. You're there to learn, not have someones interpretation of religion shoved down your throat.

And as Lee stated, if religious schools do get funding it should be all of them, not just a certain religion.

Why the U.S. can't grasp freedom of religion in 2012 is beyond me...

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

IIRC LA has one of the worst public school systems in the US and I believe they are in the bottom 5. Using taxpayer money to divert students to private schools seems like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound...there is a slightly larger issue at hand in which diverting money away is not going to help...

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    To say that in the UK, regardless of whatever party you're in, would be political suicide.

Amazing how she can say something like that in public. Stupid bigot cow.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Who Downed this post??? :mad:

I happen to think it's funnier than Hell, or even 72 virgins.

[​IMG]

It doesn't read as it should, "Freedom from religion."

In this way they can interpret what religion is preferred. Christians need only apply.

Do away with the lot, tax-exempt wise. Let them pay their own way through Life, like the rest of us.

14. Fazzy macrumors 6502

huh? you cant be serious..

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is exactly what the Founding Father's wanted when they envisioned religious freedom, Christians only. :rolleyes:

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm curious to see how this works out in Louisiana. Bobby Jindal is a very smart person and he pressed very hard to get this law passed. I'll let his experiment play out before I form a final decision.

Our currently education system is flawed so I don't mind sitting on the sidelines and watching another state try something new. All he is doing is letting parents choose where their children go to school and it's helping public schools become more competitive instead of getting tax dollars for poor performance.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Public money should not go to funding religion. At all.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Agreed 100%. It would be impossible to 'fairly' and 'evenly' fund religions because there are different religions and there are people who identify with no religions. And so by default any program funding religious organizations would but be equitable or equal.